main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Insatiable - (Luke/Mara, angst) Complete! Epilogue posted 12 May

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JadeLotus, Nov 26, 2005.

1. AvenKiel

AvenKiel Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    Wow! I could feel the heat rolling off of Mara through my computer screen!! Let's hope Luke can cool her down before she does anything rash! Maybe with some kisses? [face_batting] [face_love]

2. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    Your depiction of Mara's death is very accurate and painful. It is possible to put a traumatic event out of your mind, but then it pops back into your mind, like it did with "Talon was dead" in this fic.

3. SWLOVER

SWLOVER Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2005
    =D=

I'm worried about how Mara is going to react when Luke catches up with her. I have a great fear that Luke is going to misstep and more angst is going to occur. Although, more angst isn't neccesarily bad...

Please, please, please add me to your PM list.

I don't want to miss a second.

4. AliKatKelts

AliKatKelts Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2003
    Ohlord, what have you done. Mara's slipping to the dark side and she doesn't even realize it. And Luke's having erotic dreams about Mara *smirk* I can't wait for more! (hopefuly work allowes me to read)

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    That dream was intense. Seemed almost like a prelude to Mara confessing about her past. And Mara's on a vendetta now--justice is one thing, but vengeance always eats at the one who holds to it like a cancer. It poisons everything. But this isn't something that can be purged and resolved like in TLC. And she's not likely to listen to reason, either. Oh, my--how can she heal from this and get closure? [face_worried] And the refrain "Talon is dead" is totally reflective of someone in shock who can't seem to break out of a repetitive thought. Great emotional touch there. =D=

6. Jetta

Jetta Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2001
    Karrde is actually dead? :eek: Yikes! Angst-filled chapter! Between Luke's dream, Mara's newfound vendetta and Ghent's reaction to the whole thing - I'm at a loss as to what to say. Hope this speaks for itself. Great chapter![face_devil]

7. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Loved the dream! ;) (Shocking, I know. [face_blush] )

The repeated refrain: and Talon was dead was brilliant. And bless Ghent - he's so awkwardly adorable!

More soon please!

8. Ariapaige

Ariapaige Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2002
    wow... i miss a couple'a posts and all of a sudden Talon's dead and Mara's taking over the company and Luke's having dreams about burning the love of his life. dude. glad i caught up now. your muse is kinda evil. tell him/her that for me, will ya? he/she does good work, but definitely is evil. i'm scared for what this means for Luke and Mara. can't wait to find out though.

thanks for PMing me, even though i've been terrible with the comments. keep up the good work.

;) paige

9. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    I've been following this story for a few posts now but haven't had the chance to reply, but it's a very interesting setup, JadeLotus. It's hard to imagine Mara in such an awful situation, but you've handled her emotions very well. Luke feels just right also in the way that he wants to help without really understanding what that means... And I liked Karrde and Mara's relationship here, the way he was so protective of her. Losing him so suddenly can't be good for her at all.

Very interesting and thoughtful work. Can't wait to see where you're going with it. :D

10. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Thank you to everyone for all the lovely replies and support [:D]

ginchy - Thank you :)
    I'm very scared for our gal. I don't know if she can handle this at all. She's so very strong, but there is a limit to what anyone can take.
    There is - at the best of times Karrde's death would have shattered her, but with the past addiction looming...it's going to take all of her strength to get through it.
    And...I don't know if Luke is going to make it better, or worse. His dream...wow. I just hope he can help her, but I'm afraid she'll seriously blow him off.
    That's often the problem with Luke, he's so quick to rush in and "help" he doesn't think about the effects of it or whether sometimes people just need to be left alone :p

academygrad88 - Thanks!
    And Luke is dreaming of Mara. LOL. Hmmm... I wonder what happened instead in his other dreams?
    :D I have an inkling that at least some of those dreams weren't exactly PG-rated ;)

MirandaFair - To open with Luke's dream, caught me by surprise and just when I was getting all comphy...you drop the floor out from under me.
    Hehe. I love misdirection.
    I found this whole passage deeply powerful. As the info is sinking in my head, it's doing the same thing to Mara. You have such a knack and gift to always bring me into your world.
    Thank you so much - that was really what I was going for and i'm glad it worked!
    Of course he does! He's Luke Skywalker. *I wonder how Mara will react* *Or will she be gone with the rest of the crew by then?*
    [face_whistling] [face_shhh]
    Thanks so much for the feedback! [:D]

Golden_Jedi - Thank you :)

jedi7 - :D Thanks!

Dunc T'racen - Ghent and Luke's dream was over the top. (Can nothing be subtle with him?)
    Yeah - subtlety is hard, especially when it comes to Luke.
    but I really liked the 'and Talon was dead' bit.
    Thank you :)

jade51999 - Excellent Job. I can't believe that Talon is dead! Alas.
    Thank you. Great to have you reading!
    Could I get on the PM list please?
    No worries.

RedGold - Ut oh... Mara is having thoughts of the homicidal nature... and if she can't do nothing about them... yikes!
    It's almost like the Last Command all over again, only this time the voice and orders are coming from Mara herself... [face_devil]

AvenKiel - Wow! I could feel the heat rolling off of Mara through my computer screen!!
    Thank you - i'm glad it seems real. I'm always worried about getting grief/anger/hate right.
    Let's hope Luke can cool her down before she does anything rash! Maybe with some kisses?
    [face_mischief] Maybe... :p

StarFighter5 - Your depiction of Mara's death is very accurate and painful.
    Thank you :)
    It is possible to put a traumatic event out of your mind, but then it pops back into your mind, like it did with "Talon was dead" in this fic.
    In my experience, the more you try not to think about it, the more it will haunt you. Thanks for the reply!

SWLOVER - Thank you :)
    I'm worried about how Mara is going to react when Luke catches up with her. I have a great fear that Luke is going to misstep and more angst is going to occur. Although, more angst isn't neccesarily bad...
    Embrace the angst! The thing with Luke is that at this point in his life, I don't think he understands Mara enough to be able to help her properly with her grief. He's known a hell of a lot of grief in his life but has reacted to it differently.
    Please, please, please add me to your PM list.
    Sure thing :)

AliKatKelts - Ohlord, what have you done. Mara's slipping to the dark side and she doesn't even realize it.
    [face_devil] It really is dangerous ground for her, she's slipping into old habits and old justifications.
    And Luke's having erotic dreams about Mara *smirk* I can't wait for more!
    :D He can d

11. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Chapter 6

The funeral was a small, quiet affair. Karrde, like Mara, had never been one for pomp and ceremony ? she wouldn?t have his death contradict his life, as so many relatives and friends were fond of doing for their deceased loved ones. No, it was a simple service ? not a politician, ambassador or official in sight. The exception was Organa Solo and her husband. Although Mara would rather have spared herself their pitying glances and Organo Solo?s oh-so-perfect condolences, Karrde had been fond of both of them. She didn?t really know why ? he had liked Skywalker, too.

Who was one person conspicuous by his absence. Mara was certain he would have been there, eager to offer her comfort and his special brand of Jedi advice. She swore that if he said she should be happy Talon had joined the Force she would deck him. Hard.

But he wasn?t there. Organa Solo didn?t seemed to know where he had gone ? off planet, somewhere. Mara didn?t inquire further. She didn?t really care.

Mara hadn?t added her tears to the flood the gathered few seemed so willing to shed for Talon. Honestly she had expected more from his close friends ? hardened ex-smugglers and pirates most of them. But they hid their faces, fresh with tears as many recounted their time with Talon, the difference he had made on their lives. Ghent had blubbered horribly until he couldn?t talk, looking lost and forlorn. Only Mara was strong among them, could not let their grief, their weakness touch her. She did not weep for him ? Talon would not have wanted that. She stood resolute, only a slight flinch betraying her as they lit the funeral pyre.

Flames licked around him, freeing his soul to the stars and Mara did not dare take her eyes off it. Inside she was reeling, her emotions and thoughts swirling, and abyss of pain and despair. This was finality ? it wasn?t a dream she could wake from. She would never see that knowing smile on his face, that sound advice he administered, even when she had not asked for it. He had loved her for her flaws, in a way the Emperor never had. With her former master, it had always been to please him, to be worthy of him. With Talon it had been an acceptance ? and she wanted to do well because she wished it, not because it was demanded of her.

Who would she turn to now that her confidant was truly gone? No one knew her, understood her at all. Watching the flames engulf his lifeless body, Mara came to face the truth.

Talon was dead, and she was alone.

Luke Skywalker eyed the occupants of the bar, grimacing at the seediness of the place. He was no stranger to sordid dives such as this, but it was hard to believe that it was still Coruscant. The atmosphere and clientele reminded him more of a bar in Mos Eisley than it did to the gleaming, busy capital. There were various species drinking and gambling in the booths, glaring at him suspiciously, but Luke ignored them. Scanning the room he came across the object of his search, a redhead alone at the bar, drink in hand and head slumped.

?Mara.? Reaching her swiftly, Luke touched her arm gently to get her attention. She looked up sluggishly and he was shocked at the sight of her bloodshot eyes, matted and limp hair and pallid, clammy skin. She did not seem to register or recognise him and simply threw off his grip weakly before returning to her drink.

??Bout time someone came for her,? the gruff barman called out. ?Been here three days. Wouldn?t let me throw her out.? He rubbed his arm, which Luke noticed looked swollen and bruised.

Three days? Luke ran a hand through his hair, frustrated. He?d made it to Oon Tiel only to discover that she?d already left with the rest of Karrde?s crew. In order not to make the trip completely worthless, he?d gathered as much information as he could surrounding the siege at the Embassy and the circumstances of Karrde?s death. It seemed now that he?d made a mistake ? when he?d returned Leia had informed him that the memorial service

12. Bianka_Kenobi

Bianka_Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Jun 21, 2005
    *Steals first reply while good boys and girls sleep*
    Oh I loved this chapter!

But he wasn?t there. Organa Solo didn?t seemed to know where he had gone ? off planet, somewhere.
    UGH! I was afraid he'd gone off to the Eye of Palpatine and picked up the lonely bodysnatcher...

When Luke Skywalker made a decision, it was forever and binding. And he decided at that moment that he was going to help her whether she wanted him to or not.
    Yeah Luke! Don't give up on Mara!

Great post!

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Grand update. For Mara to think shedding tears is a weakness--instead of a release--not good to bottle it all up. Loved the blend of Luke's gentleness and firmness. Really glad he's determined to help whether she wants him to or not. He's seen enough people sink into the oblivion of alcohol, felt enough guilt over feeling responsible for the deaths of others--perhaps that combination can fuel his compassion for Mara's problems with spice in the past, and can help him to help her become whole and strong in spite of everything, like what happened in canon--her ability to move on and reinvent herself and become better for things, even after a mammoth struggle. Here's hoping, anyway. ;)

14. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Awesome chapter!

Mara is back on the drink but at least the death sticks don't seem present.

Luke is such a great guy, he'll help!

15. Anakins_Force

Anakins_Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    Sorry I missed a chapter...but I enjoyed getting to read two at a time.

Poor Mara--I'm glad Luke has shown up for her, and that he's determined. I have to run, but I wanted you to know I really enjoyed them--great updates!

16. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Great chapter. I am glad Luke is there for Mara.

AG88

17. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Wow, what a chapter! Mara's pain just bleeds out of the screen. You've done so well writing her, anger mixed with pain, regret, and alcohol.

Luke showing up and finding her, after 3 days in the bar is perfect, too. She wouldn't allow them to throw her out? I can see that, totally, in my mind.

Lord, I hope Luke can help her. Can't wait for more!

18. SWLOVER

SWLOVER Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2005
    Nice, Nice, Nice. I enjoyed that chapter very much.

When Luke Skywalker made a decision, it was forever and binding

I absolutely loved that line. It just summed up one of Luke's most compelling qualities.

19. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Stunning work, JL! =D=

Talon was dead, and she was alone.

Mara not crying is something I could see her definitely doing. Not wanting to show her vulnerability and despair. Heart-wrenching.:_|

Wonder where Luke was? Perhaps he was looking for the "bad guys?"

Mara in a drunken stupor, very sad. Perfectly Mara to start in with Luke, wanting an argument. Perfectly Luke to identify it and step back from it.

=D=, as always...

20. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    Someone has to keep Mara from going back to where she was before Talon, and it seems that Luke is the only one who can do so.

21. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Mara's thoughts about Talon were very beautiful and the Mara/Luke interaction very believable.
    Powerful chapter! :)

22. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    [face_worried] RIP, Talon. :_|

@};-

I loved Luke in this chapter! Compassionate and stubborn, outgoing and restrained...all the things that are so endearing about him. [face_love] Great job!!

23. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Now that was a great chapter.

No Luke at the memorial service!?! You know, despite Mara's words about how she was glad he wasn't there...i bet that made her feel even more alone!!

*sigh*
    And the bar scene. Good Luke, Typical Skywalker--don't even give her a choice..

(That being said, I can see how a statement like that could backfire--she didn't have much of a choice with the Emperor now did she? )

24. AliKatKelts

AliKatKelts Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2003
    Oh boy, Mara's just sinking lower and lower. I love how she see's tears as a weakness that Talon wouldn't have liked, when really she's afraid of admiting how much this affects her, that he died with out her ever getting to say sorry. She seems to show some of this when she fights with Luke about relitive pain.

Mara shifted a little, her bowed head turning slightly towards him. ?Maybe I don?t want your help.? But her tone was bare and vulnerable, begging for reassurance.

?Ah.? Luke managed a smile. ?Not your decision I?m afraid.?

When Luke Skywalker made a decision, it was forever and binding. And he decided at that moment that he was going to help her whether she wanted him to or not.

I just love this ending, Luke's decided to see this through to the end no matter what, and I think that he's starting to get that her past isn't even a path of roses compared to what he thinks he knows.

25. Jetta

Jetta Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2001
    Sorry it's taken me a while to write. School and work is keeping me busy.

Sad chapter. But you really tackled Karrde's death and Mara's response to it so well. I hope Mara's downward spiral doesn't continue. And of course, Luke is there to help. [face_batting] Awesome characterizations with these two.

=D=