main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Insider #80 to feature Mandalorian article, Yo Joe!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndRest-in-Peace, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Oh and lastly. Mandalore is going against a Sith Lord, so even I would make sure the other opponent has disadvantages.

2. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    "don´t fight in here please. everybody can have his own opinion, but you should notice, too, that the own opinion mustn´t be the true one, like one thinks for himself. So accept the others opinion and keep yours, ok. But don´t try to conquer everybody who has an other opinion to change to yours, that´s stupid kiddy fight. And I don´t think we hardcore star wars fans are that way, are we? "

I don't see an opinion thus far that is worthy of being a true one except mine.

3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    childish behaviour, Oh my.. gentlebeeings, please try to keep a more adequate tone when communicating *immitating C3PO* you are not behaving to protocol.

4. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Actually, how many Wookiees do you count in the Kashyyyk underworld (it has 3 "y"'s btw) as compared to Mandalorians? And you only see the end of the fight, they grouped against him - one wookiee. And Wookiee has to "e"s btw.

Yes, Mandalore of "TOTJ: The Sith War" series retreats under the command of Aleema, but he RETREATS ... I thought you complained about the Republic issue where Aayla's Clones force the Mandalorians out because you said Mandalorians don't retreat. Well, obviously they do. I remember you were very upset at the time because they had RETREATED. *shrugs"

Quote from "TOTJ: The Sith War" #1 of 6 -

"Mandalore has written other rules to throw the balance to himself." (p.9)

I interpret that as meaning Mandalore made it so the fight was unbalanced against Ulic. I don't care if Ulic was the greatest and most powerful being in the Galaxy, Mandalore didn't make it a fair fight, he made it an unbalanced fight. Where is the honour in that? Where is the honour in taking on a foe when you have purposely made it so the fight is unbalanced in your own favour?

I make this point because I see the Mandalorians of TOTJ and KOTOR-era as actual cowards. They are the bullies of the SW universe. And just like cowards they flee when confronted with defeat, at the "request" of Aleema maybe, but most clearly with their tails between their legs. This isn't a wind-up of Nuke, I am serious. I am re-reading stuff now, and all I see so far is that the Marvel series Mandalorians were more honourable than their predecessors, whilst the Death Watch has more in common with the Mandalore's band of the TOTJ-era than Fenn. I don't doubt they had some moments of "heroism", like Jango's group in Open Seasons, but TOTJ-era Mandalore has on several ocassions made it clear that they attack the weak. In fact, "TOTJ: The Sith War" #1 of 6 opens with the Mandalore saying "The Empress Teta System is in chaos, overstretched by their conquests. The Witch Aleema and her Jedi devotee Ulic Qel-Droma will fall under the fist of Mandalore." He picked a target he believed he could defeat as he believed them weak and failing. Where is this honour that is so often spoken off by Mandalorians. Fighting a weaker enemy can in no stretch of the imagination be considered "honourable". Again, it is the language of bullies. And if I remember correctly, the Mandalorians attack the Republic openly (well the Outer Rim) only at the end of the TOTJ series after the devatasting Sith War has crippled the Republic. The Mandalorians seem to be a group of scavengers who prey on the nearest but weakest victims. Any one care to challenge this with evidence against what I have said? And I don't mean unsubstantiated rants - I want evidence from the official material.

5. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    No, go back and look, it's one Mandalorian vs One Wookie.

I all depends on how you see the Mandalorians. In issue 65 that was the Mandalorians win, there is no way that such a small battle could have ended in retreat, unless Mandalore wanted it that way. If the Mandalorians had retreated from a Battle such a Kuat or Coruscant, then that's a reason. Mandalore retreated because of Aleema in TOTJ, not becasue he was losing. He was kicking Republic ass all the way to the Weapons depot.

The Mandalorians in TOTJ are honorable. Mandalore attacked the ETS to see what Ulic had. He after all was a worthy opponent, and Mandalore wanted to see how good he was. The Battle in the sky was to get Ulics attention, and that's what Mandalore got. If Mandalore wanted he could said FU to Ulic and kept on attacking and took the System entirely with or without the Sith Lord in the Way.

And if you don't like that, then lets head over to the Mandalorian Wars. Mandalore's armies took on many races, war like and such, and whiped them out, such as teh Cathar and Althirians. So they aren't WEAK. They believe that if a race is weak it should be destroyed and if it's strong, it should be challenged.

And to the Battle of Malchor V. Mandalorians knew they were gonna lose, but they faught anyway for the Glory. Canderous says this in the Game.

So warriors of Honor and Glory they are.

6. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    And I see no where in the comic where the Mandalorians retreated from Coruscant with their tails between their legs.

Also I believe Mandalore and Ulic both went by the rule of not being able to stand solid ground.

7. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Quick reply to your first comment, whilst I write a longer one to the others ...

I will go on KOTOR later and check for certain. But this is straight from the KOTOR PC strategy guide (p.161) -

"As you enter the Lower Shadowlands, you find a single Wookiee being attacked by a mob of Mandalorians."

The book is written by David S.J. Hodgson and is the recollection I have of what was going on in the Shadowlands. This entry is in the walkthrough area of the book. And I assume the writer played the game completely or talked to the game designers for all his info.

Can anyone independant verify this for me?

8. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    IT's one Mandalorian, they other two watch

9. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    "In issue 65 that was the Mandalorians win, there is no way that such a small battle could have ended in retreat, unless Mandalore wanted it that way."

Not the way I see it. They definitely didn't win, if they had it would be stated. Mandalorians retreated. We can't make any unsubstantiated assumptions about the circumstances, but it is clear that the Clone Army defeated them in battle, with a heavy casualty rate to their own forces. I am not saying the Mandalorians can't fight. They most certainly can. What I am saying is that the Mandalorians always pick their targets "wisely" - ie they think weak and defeatable, and then end up being defeated.

And I am not 100% certain Ordos speaks the truth in his descriptions of past glories. His is the rhetoric of a boastful warrior, he isn't likely to admit to weakness on the Mandalorian part. Like all history, an unbiased account can only be attained from both sides, unfortunately this isn't the case with what he says.

I have just seen again - Mandalore is very brave when he attacks Onderon, but again he flees from the battle and he dies in unglorious retreat on the Dxun Moon (TOTJ: The Sith War #6 of 6). There is a lesson to learned from this. I still don't see him taking on a foe of equal strength, and he claims on several ocassions his weaponry is better so he should win.

I need to re-read again, like I have said before, I like reading about Mandalorians, this is fascinating stuff.

10. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    "In issue 65 that was the Mandalorians win, there is no way that such a small battle could have ended in retreat, unless Mandalore wanted it that way."

Not the way I see it. They definitely didn't win, if they had it would be stated. Mandalorians retreated. We can't make any unsubstantiated assumptions about the circumstances, but it is clear that the Clone Army defeated them in battle, with a heavy casualty rate to their own forces. I am not saying the Mandalorians can't fight. They most certainly can. What I am saying is that the Mandalorians always pick their targets "wisely" - ie they think weak and defeatable, and then end up being defeated.

And I am not 100% certain Ordos speaks the truth in his descriptions of past glories. His is the rhetoric of a boastful warrior, he isn't likely to admit to weakness on the Mandalorian part. Like all history, an unbiased account can only be attained from both sides, unfortunately this isn't the case with what he says.

I have just seen again - Mandalore is very brave when he attacks Onderon, but again he flees from the battle and he dies in unglorious retreat on the Dxun Moon (TOTJ: The Sith War #6 of 6). There is a lesson to learned from this. I still don't see him taking on a foe of equal strength, and he claims on several ocassions his weaponry is better so he should win.

I need to re-read again, like I have said before, I like reading about Mandalorians, this is fascinating stuff. "

But that's the point the Clone's CAN't Defeat them in Battle. Mandalorians have stronger armor, Weapons,ships,shield. There had to be a reason other than defeat. Even more proven by the fact that a lightsaber has to be used with a great amount of strenght even pierce it. So Clone Fire ins't gonna do it. The Mandalorian are way better fighters than the Clone's. It very well could be that the only reason they retreated, becasue the Fleet above was in trouble ,like Mandalore had to on Onderon.

And YOU WOULD think Canderous was **'ing. HE speaks the truth, and I see no reason why not. But you will use this to your advantage, so go ahead and make him the liar like FENN.

Mandalore retreated because he had too. His Fleet above was destroyed, and his Basilisk don't have Hyper Drive capabilities, there was no way of victory. There was a way if his ships above had lasted. He and his soldiers were pounding those Republic Crusiers. Mandalore didn't want to surrender or give up, but he had to save the lives of his other warriors.

Republic Soldier: "They refuse to surrender sir, because of their Shields, a Crippling shot is impossible.

Varnicus: "Very Well, hit them with everything we've got"

The Republic had to use everything they had to force Mandalore to surrender. That shows their strenght and their power.

Mandalorian in KOTOR is much better if you dislike the TOTJ version.

11. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Oh and one other thing. If you don't believe the Mandalorians kicked that mighty Cathars ass, then you need to talk to Juhani.

12. TwiLeksRokMySox

TwiLeksRokMySox Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 28, 2004
    ********Republic Commando Spoiler******

Clones sure kicked the hell out of Hokan in Republic Commando, didn't they?

13. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    No, go back and look, it's one Mandalorian vs One Wookie.

No matter how you put it, all his friends were killed unarmed. There's no honor in that. And Mandos even have superior armor and weapons why would they deny a fair fight?? Those Mandos from Kashyyyk are lower than animals. What if the Wookiee was winning the duel with the Mandalorian? Then the other 2 would surely assist him. And the Wookiee was already severely weakened.

14. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Last I checked, it was just a comic. With mouths that always seemed to have spit lines in them, but a comic. :p

15. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    "No matter how you put it, all his friends were killed unarmed. There's no honor in that. And Mandos even have superior armor and weapons why would they deny a fair fight?? Those Mandos from Kashyyyk are lower than animals. What if the Wookiee was winning the duel with the Mandalorian? Then the other 2 would surely assist him. And the Wookiee was already severely weakened."

Not for the Mandalorians no, but again they weren't attacking the Wookies for honor. Just to test the new Jedi Weapons. From Mandalore's point of view, the Wookies should be honored that they were chosen to be the race that was to be tested. The Mandalorians see the Wookies as a strong race, and they honor them well. Also the Mandalorians who attacked the wookies did have misgivings about not attacking them face to face, but they were under orders to test this Jedi weapon. Mandalorians are warriors, they prepare for war in anyway they can. IF attacking Wookies cloacked, is what they must do then they do it. IT is the wookies fault for not being prepared.

Spoken like True Mandalorian. See it doesn't matter what the point of view is. Your view is that of the Republics, my view is that of the Mandalorians. You may see it flawed, but I wouldn't tell them that.

16. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Hey folks,

Thanks to those of you who have expressed excitement and support for this Mandalorian piece. It?s you guys that make the Star Wars experience enjoyable for authors, who are after all fans too.

Leto II wrote:
    ?Quickish Question-Type-of-Thing: any under-the-gun storypoints from Knights of the Old Republic II making the article? Reputedly, some new Mandalorian historical "fillips" are getting woven into the fabric.?

Yep. There are some last-minute refs to KOTOR2 I was able to work in, as well as refs to several other upcoming LFL projects.

The2ndQuest wrote:
    ?Will the article be covering past the OT into Boba's new Mandalorians during the NJO??

The new Mandos are definitely in there, 2ndQuest. :)

Folks should also be happy with Joe Corroney?s artwork, which is worth the price of admission alone. This piece got both of our creative juices going, and we worked really hard to come up with some really cool art concepts. Joe worked overtime to get these beautiful illustrations in on deadline.

We look forward to discussing article in detail in the near future.

Take care,
    Abel

17. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    This is great. The Mandos of all periods are being covered: KOTOR 2: The Sith Lords and the NJO version. I'd certainly like to see this article.

18. ausar_vos

ausar_vos Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2004
    I don't think there's ever been this much hype about a SWI article.

Proves Mandalorians are in demand.

19. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    This makes me wish they had Insider here. :(

20. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    well maybe someone scans the article for those who don´t have the luxus of insider ;-)

besides... when is the issue shipping?

21. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    I believe I've calmed down enough, Abel to accept what you have written, and am sorry for unkind words toward you in the previous pages. With that being said...

Will Fenn, and his New Mandalorian Army of Mandalore be covered?

Will there be a Mandalore(lord) during the Clone War?

22. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000

Leto II wrote:
    ?Quickish Question-Type-of-Thing: any under-the-gun storypoints from Knights of the Old Republic II making the article? Reputedly, some new Mandalorian historical "fillips" are getting woven into the fabric.?

Yep. There are some last-minute refs to KOTOR2 I was able to work in, as well as refs to several other upcoming LFL projects.[hr][/blockquote][/b]
    Care to elaborate on that last bit? Or will the LFL forced-electrocution implant chip kick in? [face_thinking]

23. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    DarthMane2 wrote:
    ?I believe I've calmed down enough, Abel to accept what you have written, and am sorry for unkind words toward you in the previous pages.?

Thanks Nuke. That?s very man of you.

?With that being said...

Will Fenn, and his New Mandalorian Army of Mandalore be covered??

My affection for Fenn Shysa and Tobbi Dala, and the Star Wars Marvels in general, is the reason I proposed to write this article in the first place, since I was afraid someone else might fail to take them into account. They?re in there, alright.

?Will there be a Mandalore(lord) during the Clone War??

For that, you?ll have to wait and see. Hang in there. :)

Leto II wrote:
    ?Care to elaborate on that last bit? Or will the LFL forced-electrocution implant chip kick in? ?

Right, unfortunately, I can?t elaborate much beyond that. The article teases with allusions to events coming up in future Star Wars projects not by me. Besides the LFL chip, it?s just not cool to kill someone else?s punchline. Let me just say that while this is the most comprehensive piece on the Mandalorians to date, LFL is making sure their story doesn?t end here?and now they?ve got a guideline with most of the old wrinkles ironed out. And more than a few new wrinkles too.

I should mention that Boba Fett fans will be left feeling warm and fuzzy too. Since the bounty hunter is tied-in pretty closely with the Mandalorians, this piece is going a long way toward reconciling the conflicting accounts of his history in a definitive way. Folks will also find out some of what he's been up to leading up to the NJO.

Take care,
    Abel

24. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    So I suppose it's too late to bug you all with my fanboy theories about why Jabba doesn't seem to know Boba in The Hutt Gambit, when he really employed young Fett for two years? ;) :D I'm definately looking forward to seeing Fett's history all wrapped up.

Can't wait to see this rest of the article too. I have the feeling it'll be as much of a treat, continuity and historically speaking, as the Grand Admiral article (which was quite an impressive piece of work.)

TC

25. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Not to mention your impressive work on the Emperor's Hand article.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.