main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Insider #80 to feature Mandalorian article, Yo Joe!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndRest-in-Peace, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    ..the Mandalorians were once strictly a gray-skinned warrior race.

Is there any pictures of them? I know that the original Sith were large red-skinned beastmen with unfocused force powers, but I can't find any information or images of the original Mandalorians.

Thanks for this great article, Abel.

2. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    [image=http://webpages.acs.ttu.edu/rschecke/images/newmandalore.jpg]
    I posted this a few pages back. ;)

3. RainbowDroideka

RainbowDroideka Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 19, 2000
    "That damn "Droids" cartoon, I was living overseas when it aired on TV. Looks like I gotta convivce someone at LFL to put them on DVD..."

Aren't they on DVD now?

4. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
  5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, only the equivilent of 8 episodes or so, edited together into two movies.

6. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    DarthMane2 wrote:
    ?Excellent. Now you can write down what happened to the Crusaders and how they became domesticated.?

Heh heh?I?m hoping to come back to the Mandalorians soon, possibly in a Planet Hoppers for WOTC. These first couple of projects will be covering other subjects, though I think fans will find them pleasing. Begins in March!

CeiranHarmony wrote:
    ?Planet hoppers and the RPG parts of the page have ceased to produce new stuff. And I didn´t hear anything about them restarting it.?

You heard it here first folks! :)

Senator_Cilghal wrote:
    ?[BTW, I am not criticizing the Valance author, who TOTALLY rules, as it is in NO WAY his fault. I am simply dismayed WOTC is drifting away from the RPG towards what seems to me a much less interesting gaming genre.]?

Actually, Jason Fry (the Valance author) and I are teaming up this time around for a one-two punch, with rpg and miniature info.

Rogue_Follower wrote:
    ?Abel, there are a few items/references that I'm suprised that you didn't add to the article. One is the Mandalorian Wristlets that Fett uses in The Hutt Gambit, and the Sun Guards of Thyrsus from WEG (one of the [inuniverse] inspirations for the Emperor's Royal Guard uniforms.)?

Alas, practical concerns like deadlines and word counts almost always make it impossible to be as comprehensive as we would like. How many of us don?t think the Mandalorians deserve an entire sourcebook, rather than 10 measly pages? Maybe in the future. ;)

?Their uniforms look kind of like the Neo-crusader suits, and like the Royal Guards. It would have been great to have them as a Mandalorian splinter group.?

Don?t count the Sun Guard out! While I didn?t think they were appropriate for the Mando project, I?ve definitely had them in mind for some time.

Best,
    Abel

7. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Abel you ROCK! Looking foreward to everything upcoming from your direction! and it is great news that wizards restarts the hoppers woohooo :)

8. Lightsnake

Lightsnake Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Isn't Mr. 'Now I am the new Mandalore' just wearing armor?
    And Jango and Jaster qualify as being Mandalorians...being adopted into the culture counts for something.
    The Death Watch were violent murderers who sullied the name and honor of Mandalorians. Vizsla's philosophy? Mandalorians rule the galaxy. He butchered innocents, murdered ANYONE who got in his way...the man was scum.

9. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Hey Lightsnake,

"And Jango and Jaster qualify as being Mandalorians...being adopted into the culture counts for something."

Yep, just like it did when all those human and alien converts joined Mandalore the Ultimate.

?the man was scum.?

Couldn?t have said it better myself.

Best,
    Abel

10. Lightsnake

Lightsnake Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Let me add one more thing: REAL Mandalorians don't frame their enemies and let the Jedi do the dirty work...and murder women and children to cement the story

11. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    If you and Jason start teaming together to write stuff, that will definitely rock. And you KNOW I want a PH on Mandalore [hint hint: species stats for the original aliens! weapons stats for their awesome axes! stats for the Gladiator fighters!]

Ok, that was 3 hint hints

Seriosuly, whatever you choose to include, I am sure will be interesting [hint hint: map of Mandalore Sector]

oops, I did it again.

I am thrilled to hear the mini articles will be geared to double serve for the RPG. That was my ONLY grief with the Valance article, which otherwise rules. If WOTC adopts this as their standard policy, all will be forgiven:)

12. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Picked up Insider #80 today. Didn't think I would enjoy it. (I've heard nothing good about Insider since they changed publishers.) That said, I gotta say that the Mandalorian article was more than worth the purcahse price. It was nice to see unmasked Boba Fett. You'd think that after AOTC we'd see a lot more of that.

13. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    So what does it say about KOTOR II cause Mandalorians absolutely rule in that game! And for once they're not the bad guys. :D

14. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Just that Canderous is Mandalore, and he brought some of the clans back together.

15. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    timbolton wrote:
    ?Can't wait for Abel written WOTC articles, fingers crossed there will be a team-up with a certain artist pretty-d@mned good at illustrating Mandalorians ?

Ironically, while Joe isn?t scheduled to work on this upcoming WOTC project, some of his art is likely to show up anyway.

CeiranHarmony wrote:
    ?is it just me or does Suprema look like one of those cannibalistic species of Crimson Empire 2 comic,?

I really love the look of those guys; I?ve been waiting for the right opportunity to use them. :)

As for the Suprema, Rich Handley and I fleshed him out for a doomed Polyhedron piece. Again, if the right opportunity comes up, we?ll see if we can resurrect some of that background.

?besides, I´ve got another idea as for why Shysa thinks Spar is acutally Fett. Not only because of the armour or the look, but maybe spar thought of himself as Fett? Spar Fett, or something like it.?

He probably didn?t mind being thought of as Jango?s son, but I don?t think he went around identifying himself as that. The Mandalorians came up with that rumor all by themselves, seeing as how old Spar was the spittin? image o? Jango.

Take care,
    Abel

16. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    What were the small bits info that were edited out of the Article?

Like did you have more stuff from KOTOR 2 that got ditched?

17. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Why did Fenn Shysa, suring the course of the comics, loose his accent?

"it just me or does Suprema look like one of those cannibalistic species of Crimson Empire 2 comic"

The Zanibar!

I love that name:)

Abel, out of curiosity, I know it is NOT canon, but could you tell me what y'all called the Suprema's race and homeworld?

And if you retconned him as a Zanibar, that would seem appropriate. I can easily see the Suprema eating a rebellious slave. Its true that he doesn't look exactly like DHC anibar, but the Pera didn't look exactly like WEG Verpine, yet Gamer retconned him as one [artistic license], and there is always the precedent of Noghri and Bothans.

18. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >Mav and LAJ_FETT already mentioned the name, ?No Disintegrations, Please? as well as where the story can be found. As for the dating, though, I?m not too sure. The story is told by a storyteller in ?the legend of Boba Fett? form. If I had to hazard a guess, I?d say Rebellion era, but that doesn?t say much. <

TNEGTC date-locked it. It's right after "Dark Forces"--Fett took on the garrison in order to reestablish his reputation after he failed to bring in Kyle Katarn.

>Good news for EU fans: Wizards has just contracted me to create some new Star Wars material for their website. Should be a fun project.<

YES!

>Jar Jar would beat them both.<

Oh man, I would pay big money to see Jar Jar go up against Fenn's Mandalorians in an "Attack on New Bornalax" comic. ;)

TC

19. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    OK, I know Suprema looks Zanibarish from the front, but after looking at his side profile, I think we can rule that idea out.

There are three main differences:

1) Zanibar have blue grey skin (mammalian), Suprema has purple scales (reptilian)

2) Zanibar have close set little black eyes, Suprema has big glowing eyes

3) Zanibar have a flat, skull-like face; Suprema has a long, somewhat crocodilian snout

As for Fenn Shysa's friends, Maybe they kill Jar Jar by forcing his head to conform to the interior of a Mandalorian helmet:)

20. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Maybe they kill Jar Jar by forcing his head to conform to the interior of a Mandalorian helmet:)

Sshh... Didn't you know that one of the Mandalores was a gungan? It's true!

21. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    RainbowDroideka, the Droids/Ewoks cartoons and films DVDs are NOT available Region 2 - ie, UK and Europe. No news on that, and we are STILL fecking waiting :(
    And it don't bode well for the Clone Wars cartoon DVD either :(

Abel, great stuff on Joe's art :)

Did anyone see the announcement on Starwars.com about the SW Holiday special Boba Fett cartoon (his first appearance, even before ESB) being shown at CIII?

http://www.starwars.com/community/news/2005/02/news20050210.html

:)

22. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    TalonCard wrote:
    ?TNEGTC date-locked it. It's right after "Dark Forces"--Fett took on the garrison in order to reestablish his reputation after he failed to bring in Kyle Katarn.?

Good ol Dan. :)

?Oh man, I would pay big money to see Jar Jar go up against Fenn's Mandalorians in an "Attack on New Bornalax" comic.?

Talon, if you keep stealing my ideas, I can?t write about them! :p

Senator_Cilghal wrote:
    ?Why did Fenn Shysa, suring the course of the comics, loose his accent??

Nobody could understand him? Another thing to watch for with Fenn is how many versions of the Mandalorian supercommando armor he has. Personally, I like the all-white one he sports for one or two issues in the post-ROJ run of the Marvels.

I like Fenn with his thick accent. Then again, I also think Opun ?the Black Hole? Mcgrrrr aka human Jabba is a cool character. Maybe I just have a thing for Star Wars characters with bad accents.

?Abel, out of curiosity, I know it is NOT canon, but could you tell me what y'all called the Suprema's race and homeworld??

There are actually a few strikes against that Senator, the most important being that Rich Handley and I are currently trying to bring the piece to a new publisher. The other, though, is that Rich wanted to do something cool with Suprema?s origin, so I?d rather not steal his fire.

QuentinGeorge wrote:
    ?Sshh... Didn't you know that one of the Mandalores was a gungan? It's true!?

That?s right, it?s in the Holocron?but don?t tell Leland I told you! ;) It?s also true that during Fenn?s time doing merc work, he asked Jaxxon to take over as Mandalore for a weekend.

Of course, this is all from a certain point of view?mainly that of a drunken Jawa.

timbolton wrote:
    ?Did anyone see the announcement on Starwars.com about the SW Holiday special Boba Fett cartoon (his first appearance, even before ESB) being shown at CIII??

I recently booked my flight and pass for Celebration 3. The Boba cartoon will be a treat to watch, especially since my version of the Holiday Special is so grainy!

Take care folks,
    Abel

23. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    [image=http://www.joecorroney.com/portfolio/Comic_Books/Star_Wars/Jango01Color.jpg]
    [image=http://www.joecorroney.com/portfolio/Comic_Books/Star_Wars/Jango02Color.jpg]

Care to explain what this is Joe?

24. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    IIRC, it was an "audition" (as it were) for the art duties of the Jango Fett one-shot. Pity it wasn't chosen, because it's very good stuff, tho I do like the unique style of the art in the actual comic.

25. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    maybe he expands this audition into a fan comic, unofficial just for us? *hopes*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.