main
side
curve

Insider #80 to feature Mandalorian article, Yo Joe!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndRest-in-Peace, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>I'm currently penciling Empire #33 which will be shipping in May.<<

Joe- do you know for certain it'll be issue #33? Randy's comments infer that, due to a delay in the making of the "In the Shadow of Their Fathers" 5-parter, that the solicitations are now incorrect and that the Price of Power will be in fact Issue #31 as a bridge/fill-in/supplement to ITSOTF, then to be followed by the remaining three parts of the arc.

2. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    TIEPilot051999 wrote:
    ?Picked up Insider #80 today. Didn't think I would enjoy it. (I've heard nothing good about Insider since they changed publishers.) That said, I gotta say that the Mandalorian article was more than worth the purcahse price.?

That?s for giving it a chance TIEPilot, and I?m especially happy to hear you feel you got your money?s worth. If you write in to the folks at Insider, Joe and I can definitely bring you guys some quality articles and fiction like the Mando piece. The effort?s MUCH appreciated.

comlink@insider.starwars.com

Comlink, P.O. Box 23500, Oakland, CA 94623-2350

Thanks folks.

Senator_Cilghal wrote:
    ?I am thrilled to hear the mini articles will be geared to double serve for the RPG. That was my ONLY grief with the Valance article, which otherwise rules. If WOTC adopts this as their standard policy, all will be forgiven:)?

I sure hope so, Senator. Jason and I are having a blast so far.

?OK, I know Suprema looks Zanibarish from the front, but after looking at his side profile, I think we can rule that idea out.?

Yeah, he?s definitely not a Zanibar.

Jort wrote:
    ?So what does it say about KOTOR II cause Mandalorians absolutely rule in that game! And for once they're not the bad guys. ?

Not too much. LFL wanted to keep the KOTOR2 storyline under wraps. I wasn?t even going to be able to say that Canderous had become Mandalore! As it is, the wording in the article is still somewhat vague.

DarthMane2 wrote:
    ?What were the small bits info that were edited out of the Article??

By me or by Lucasfilm? I edited out the part about how the original Mandalorians went extinct due to space restrictions, and that?s probably the biggest chunk. Also, Alpha-Ø2?s name was going to be something else which I may use later instead.

Joe Corroney wrote:
    ?Am in trouble? You sound like my third grade teacher....?

Funny thing is, Joe probably did get caught illustrating Mandalorians by his grade school teacher. ;)

Take care,
    Abel

3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    you sure might post the edited out part, do you?

4. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Wanted to drop in and echo Abel's call to let the Insider know what you like (and what you don't). That kind of feedback is invaluable to any publisher; I'm sure they'd love to have it.

Yeah, we're gonna have fun with this next project -- RPG stats, Minis, cool lore, the works. And I'm hoping we can throw in some geography while we're at it....

Now, back to those Mandalorians!

J

5. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    TalonCard wrote:
    ?You'd better have been kidding about not writing about Jar Jar vs. Mandalorians, Abel. That would just break my heart.?

[face_devil]

Who knows TC. If you really want to see Jar Jar take on the Mandos, or any other Star Wars idea you have, you can do what I did: pay your dues, be very persistent, look for the opportunity, pitch your idea, and write it. :)

Rogue_Follower wrote:
    ?Joe, Abel: How do you feel about the unmasked Boba depiction seen in ESB Infinities? It looked kind of like Jango, but the face crossing scar was... different. Sure its Infinities, but its not really like Luke's death would cause a great change in Fett's face. ?

I have to admit, I haven?t picked up any of the infinities movie adaptations either?the rationale being that if it ain?t continuity, then it ain?t an SW reading priority.

That said, I see your point about Boba having the scar not really being a consequence of the chaos-effect of the story (i.e. had Boba actually taken off his helmet in the Empire Strikes Back he would?ve had that scar). I?m fairly open to the idea, though whether LFL would be I?m not sure. I?ll definitely keep it in mind. Thanks.

Best,
    Abel

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    What scar are we talking about?

7. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    In ESB Infinities Fett has a rather long scar with staples or stitches that crosses over his nose from one side of his face to the other. It reminds me of my original mental picture of Face Loran's scar.

It can be seen when Boba has his helmet off and is talking to Lando when he first comes to Cloud City, sitting at Lando's desk (the old desk ;))

Edit: I also think Boba's face was shown in the All-Fett-All-the-Time issue of Tales, but it was in a shadow. Those were some nice Tales comics, even if they haven't been referenced yet...

8. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    [no message]

9. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    BootlegVader wrote:
    ?I just wanted to say thank you to Abel. I loved this article it was great. I really loved how you fit the old marvel stories in to in and fixed Fenn story. Now I only wait for a comic based on your new fix.?

Thanks for the kind words BootlegVader?very cool user name, BTW. :)

Like I said earlier in the thread, making the early Mandalorian references fit ? not only the Marvels but the line in the ESB novelization about the Mandalorians being evil warriors ? was one of the chief motivations behind my proposing the Mando piece to the folks at Insider.

?I also want to thank Joe. As that is the best Star Wars art I have ever seen. You really need to be able draw some comicbookssorry if you ready have I must have not seen them yet).?

Ain?t it the truth? Thankfully, we?re going to be seeing a lot of Joe?s art in the coming months.

Joe Corroney wrote:
    ?Abel really knows how to bring out the best in my stuff with his writing. I really enjoy collaborating with him since he knows what he wants and knows how to please the fans.?

[face_blush]

Joe and I have a very positive synergy when we work together, especially now that we?ve worked together on multiple occasions. I?ve learned that Joe?s got a knack for flare and the epic; the bigger the better (i.e. Lumiya vs. Mara Jade, Thrawn and Vader). So this time we really tried to push the envelope, with stunning success on Joe?s part. Just because we've never seen it before, the New Sith Wars illo is my favorite of the bunch this time around.

Take care,
    Abel

10. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Fett unmasked in ESB Infinites

[image=http://www.hennessy.id.au/quentingeorge/archives/swinfinities01-unmasked.jpg]

11. jangofett100

jangofett100 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2003
    So, did the Mandos stop using their TOTJ armour completely and switch to the KOTOR version at some point, or was the KOTOR armour style humans only, while the Taung-Mandos kept on using the older sets?

12. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    I think the armour was improved after the TOTJ battles, but humans and humanoid species used the new armour, because one armour for every member species seems impossible, if some are togorians and mandallians. they need larger helmets, f.e. even something to cover their tails

13. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    That's what I dislike about KOTOR, some things just look too new. The KOTOR armour protects nearly the entire body and seems better than the movie era armour.

14. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    My take on that: we know that Mandalore the Indomitable spent some twenty years on Dxun rebuilding his forces and putting them in place to strike the Republic. The Mandalorian armor-redesign had to have been one of the major revamps that he initiated prior to the outbreak of hostilities.

Further, it's clear that Canderous (and Jagi, and about everyone else in his unit) wore this same armor, which points to this particular inauguration hitting at some point during that period.

15. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Well, finally read this article last week due to RL constraints but it was definitely worth the wait. I really enjoyed it and it really cleared alot up for me as far as the Mandalorians are concerned. A very special thanks to all of the effort put forth by everyone involved in this article. Definitely the best thing Ive read in Insider in a loooong time.

16. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    something to get the discussion back alive:

do mandlorians wear underwear? and if so, boxershorts or slip? or a tanga? :p

17. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    "My take on that: we know that Mandalore the Indomitable spent some twenty years on Dxun rebuilding his forces and putting them in place to strike the Republic. The Mandalorian armor-redesign had to have been one of the major revamps that he initiated prior to the outbreak of hostilities.

Further, it's clear that Canderous (and Jagi, and about everyone else in his unit) wore this same armor, which points to this particular inauguration hitting at some point during that period."

Ultimate, not Indomitable

18. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Whoops, my bad.

Didn't have the issue right onhand.

19. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Fett unmasked in ESB Infinites

Cocky son of a Bith, isn't he? :)

Take care,
    Abel

20. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    he looks like the guy that sells me turkish "döner" food in the city, lol

Help, me Boba Fett is hunting me undercover!

21. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Just picked up Star Wars #55 - the official UK magazine - and they're promising us the Mando article next time. Good stuff :)

22. JodoKast3

JodoKast3 Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2005
    Abel...

Do you plan on writing any more Jodo Kast history? And would there be any way you could expand on your explanation of Jodo, Zardra, and Puggles Trod`s botched hunt?

JK3

23. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Hey folks,

DarthMane2 wrote:
    ?How long did it take Fenn to get the entire sector back??

Not sure. He would?ve had to deal with Grand Admiral Takel, then Grand Admiral Grunger, then the Nagai. Securing Mandalore?s freedom might?ve been quite a struggle.

jangofett100:
    ?So, did the Mandos stop using their TOTJ armour completely and switch to the KOTOR version at some point, or was the KOTOR armour style humans only, while the Taung-Mandos kept on using the older sets??

Good question. It?s my opinion that the Neo-Crusaders all wore more or less the same style KOTOR armor. They had a long enough time to change up.

Leto II wrote:
    ?My take on that: we know that Mandalore the Indomitable spent some twenty years on Dxun rebuilding his forces and putting them in place to strike the Republic. The Mandalorian armor-redesign had to have been one of the major revamps that he initiated prior to the outbreak of hostilities.?

Guess I should?ve just waited a bit before I answered that last question, eh? ;) Good answer Leto II.

DVader316 wrote:
    ?A very special thanks to all of the effort put forth by everyone involved in this article. Definitely the best thing Ive read in Insider in a loooong time.?

Thanks DVader. We aim to please. :)

CeiranHarmony wrote:
    ?do mandlorians wear underwear? and if so, boxershorts or slip? or a tanga? :p?

Well, you can guess which kind the taung were partial to. Yikes!

Take care,
    Abel

24. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    A little note on Mandalorians - the outfit they wear during the movie era, we know they were wearing that as early as the Battle of Ruusan (1000 BBY), as the first pages of Jedi vs. Sith show scavengers picking up such a piece of armour from the dirt.

25. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    >>"do mandlorians wear underwear? and if so, boxershorts or slip? or a tanga? :p"<<

Well Mark Jonathan Davis' The Phantom Medley song has the following lyrics:

[blockquote]Ba-da-la-da-da-la Boba
    He's the bounty hunter after Han
    Under that armor, he's got nothing on[/blockquote]

;)

[link=http://www.ideatown.com/mich/swpm.html#swpmsong]The Phantom Medley[/link]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.