main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Insider #80 to feature Mandalorian article, Yo Joe!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndRest-in-Peace, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Do the Mandalorians still follow the code of honor and glory, or are they all merc by the time of the Clone Wars?

2. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Do the Mandalorians still follow the code of honor and glory, or are they all merc by the time of the Clone Wars?

Republic Commando: Hard Contact SPOILERS :

Id assume that most of the Mandalorians that are still alive in the Clone Wars era still follow the code of honor, at least from what Ghez Hokan says when briefly discussing Jango Fett. He says that even though Jango went merc he is still the best and still has honor, or something to that effect.

3. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    There was further development of this philosophy throughout the novel, particularly toward the end when Ghez Hokan makes the fatal mistake of attempting to grant what'sername the apprentice "a warrior's death" up close and personal-like. Something to do with respect for her command over Jango's facsimiles, or somesuch. Have to recheck this.

4. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Mandalorians believe in the code of honor and glory, and feel those who become mercs are dishonorable. People like Jango and Hokan wouldn't be welcome on Mandalore.

What I would like to know is, are their still Mandalorians who believe in this code? or are they all mercs?

5. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Oh, I don't know about that. The Mandalorians are pretty to quick to let young Boba, a bounty hunter, join their army, if what Fenn says in issue 68 of the Marvel series is to be believed.

6. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    All depends on HOW he joins them.

7. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    Perhaps, as one final "what sources?" question that could cover all potential ones: were there any published sources regarding the Mandos you weren't able to include due to recent publication at the time of the writing (just, as an example, the tidbits in Republics 65-67, being somewhat recent) ?

8. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    UPDATE: Great news folks! After making some slight modifications at the request of Leland Chee, LFL has approved both the art and text for the article. Looks like it should be showing up in Insider 80 without a hitch. :)

TalonCard wrote:
    ?So I suppose it's too late to bug you all with my fanboy theories about why Jabba doesn't seem to know Boba in The Hutt Gambit, when he really employed young Fett for two years? I'm definately looking forward to seeing Fett's history all wrapped up.?

Trust me TC, there will always be room for this sort of stuff. ;)

?Can't wait to see this rest of the article too. I have the feeling it'll be as much of a treat, continuity and historically speaking, as the Grand Admiral article (which was quite an impressive piece of work.)?

Thanks, that means a lot. I try to write the kinds of Star Wars pieces and fill them with the kinds of details that I as a fanboy always had wished I could find and read. There are many practical limitations when it comes to making that wishful thinking a reality, chief among them time, time, time. But Joe and I are very big fans and we did our best with this assignment, which according to fans ain?t generally too shabby.

Mavrick889 wrote:
    ?Not to mention your impressive work on the Emperor's Hand article.?

Thanks Mavrick. It?s too bad that Star Wars Fact Files don?t make it out here to the states. I think you guys would?ve enjoyed those too.

DarthMane2 wrote:
    ?Do the Mandalorians still follow the code of honor and glory, or are they all merc by the time of the Clone Wars??

I don?t see why these have to be mutually exclusive.

The2ndRest-in-Peace wrote:
    ?Perhaps, as one final "what sources?" question that could cover all potential ones: were there any published sources regarding the Mandos you weren't able to include due to recent publication at the time of the writing (just, as an example, the tidbits in Republics 65-67, being somewhat recent) ??

The question actually isn?t so much one of whether or not I was able to include more recent sources, but instead to what degree. Lucasfilm didn?t want me giving away significant details that folks would be discovering on their own as they played KOTOR2, and likewise for other projects.

Again, one of those practical limitations. Word count is another.

For example, when I originally pitched the Mandalorian article, my editor suggested a word count of 3,000. I told him I couldn?t do the Mandos justice with less than 4,000. He agreed. After finishing the article and editing it down (a painful but useful process), I turned it in at 4,600. Thankfully, my editor was cool with this, since he trusted I?d written a good piece. After LFL?s editing requests, the article actually clocked in at almost 5,000. So the good guys (the fans) won this time. :)

However, writers aren?t always so lucky. In the GAs piece, Dan Wallace and I had to cut back on the article significantly, much to our disappointment. But in this game, especially in a shared universe, you?ve got to roll with the punches.

In any case, a more interesting question might be what sources were included that folks have forgotten about or didn?t even know existed, which has always been my special area of emphasis.

Take care,
    Abel

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>a more interesting question might be what sources were included that folks have forgotten about or didn?t even know existed<<

[galaxy quest]and then they (the fanboys) exploded[/galaxy quest]

10. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Quest...depending on how you look at it, that sounds rather...perverted.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Eek...

::edits post::

Not quite as bad now... ;)

12. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    So Insider #80 is out ... I have yet to see as it is with my gf in NYC.

But comments about it would be most welcome please as I am dying to know :)

13. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    That would be 79 that is now out. I imagine 80 will be out in February or March.

14. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    LOL! Sorry :(
    My girlfriend kept telling me she had #79 for me a while back, and she told me she got #80 yesterday.
    Thanks for letting me know, I just asked her and she has checked, yep it's #79 she got yesterday and I can only pray I don't have two copies of #78 lmao, since I got that last time I was in NYC.

15. Jedi_Jason5001

Jedi_Jason5001 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    Can someone PLEASE tell me when this comes out? When does it reach Canada?

16. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Probably as soon as the provincial postal system gets freed up to distribute international correspondence once the predicted Québécois Revolution is completed, and Le Nouveau Régime installed out of Paul Martin's old office.

It'll be required monolingual, though, in the Old Preferred Mother Tongue.

17. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >After LFL?s editing requests, the article actually clocked in at almost 5,000. So the good guys (the fans) won this time<

:D All right!

March can't come soon enough. :D

TC

18. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    The Mando article is coming in March?

19. Joe_Corroney

Joe_Corroney Artist: -Empire -HNN -Insider -RPG star 2 VIP

May 29, 2003
    Hey Everyone,

Sorry I'm late, I just discovered this Nuke Vs. Tim thread ;) Actually, I really enjoyed those parts of the thread, then again anything posted by Nuke is fun to read (if you don't take it too seriously) :) Great job keeping a level head Tim and holding your own as always, I think even the most jaded and fanatical of the EU fans will enjoy Abel's Mandalorian article. He pulled all out all of the stops with this one and it was definitely my biggest project to illustrate for Insider to date. This is our third project together (Emperor's Hands in SW Gamer and Grand Admirals in Inisder) and his love and attention for continuity impress me more each and every time. He included SO MANY cool characters, vehicles, creatures, etc that it was hard for both of us to decide what I was going to illustrate.
    Trust me, I was so excited about this piece that if there would have been more room in the layout and more time in my schedule I would have drawn even more for this.
    For the character portraits I drew I had fun taking some of the classic Marvel (and Dark Horse characters) and giving them a more realistic look in my graphic style.
    I'm really excited about my opening illustration to the article though. Abel and I spent a lot of phone and email time collaborating on composition ideas and what to include in this large painting and I was especially pleased with how it turned out. I'm usually my own toughest critic so that's saying something ;) Boba and Jango are actually two of my favorite SW characters (right behind Vader) so I had a blast illustrating them as well. I guarantee EU fans are going to eat Abel's Mando article up but I'm hoping everyone enjoys my artwork for this project too!

http://www.joecorroney.com/

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    How many pieces of art did you end up making for the article?

21. Jedi_Jason5001

Jedi_Jason5001 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    So can someone actaully tell me when this is coming out?

22. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Joe mentioned Abel's excellent continuity work, and I'd like to remark on how much Joe has contributed to the *visual* continuity of the EU. I'm always impressed when looking at his work in HoloNet News, the way he has managed to capture the "look" of Star Wars characters from different mediums. Some artists will do their own take on a character that has already been illustrated, but Joe always keeps the look of a character consistent, while making it more realistic then the original source. Admiral Screed, from the Droids cartoon, for example. Great stuff.

TC

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Where was his rendition of Screed? HNN?

24. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
  25. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    I guarantee EU fans are going to eat Abel's Mando article up but I'm hoping everyone enjoys my artwork for this project too!

Gets knife and fork out, next to dinner plate. I am the starvin' Marvin' Mandalorian fan :)

Great job keeping a level head Tim

Joe you are too kind, I am not sure I did that well lol. I think I am becoming a ranter in my old(er) age, scary :(
    A lesson in humility is needed, rubs tuna on face and waits for onslaught of nutty pet cat. Ow, this was a bad idea ;)

TalonCard - that's Joe through and through, his art is always quality and respectful of others. Can't wait to see him again at CIII :D
    So Joe, are you going to be at the DHC booth or your own at CIII? I'll need some protection from Randy there, and Jeremy is too little compared to Godzilla, even his spidey powers won't help. I could hide behind Jan, she could knock Randy for six anytime lol. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.