main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Insider 89: "Underworld: A Galaxy of Scum and Villiany" by Abel, Ryan, and Joe

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Vengance1003, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arf_maul

arf_maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    :eek: :D :_| =P~ :)

Wow Abel, that's... I'm speechless. Thanks man, you rock. [:D]

2. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    What are you talking about McEwok, every year is a leap year for Lepi. [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Sorry I just had to do that.

But on topic, Great Job Abel and Ryan.

3. arf_maul

arf_maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    Aww, looks like the lovely Vels were shafted too (assuming the above statement was a hint).

CT-1707 was a nice little fix, and a sneaky one at that. :p

Did Crash n' Burn first appear in Star Wars Galaxies? I love Galaxies references. :)

4. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    I actually suggested that Evil Never Dies get split into two parts, but they decided to go with the one-shot.

Thank you sir, thank you.

Mission accomplished then. Replay value is important. Often times we don't notice it, but if something seems a bit, chances are the text is tickling your subconscious. There's more there than meets the eye.

Oh, wait a minute, that's actually instructions for finding Jedi candidates. Move along...

It was a bit of bad coordinating between myself and Ryan, but the good thing is that the entire thing is in individual first-persons, and that allows for wiggle room. In any case, how off is the dating of the Daley books? And after the tone of the Aduba-3 article in Star Wars Gamer #4, the Aduba-3 storyline seems to have been intentionally mired in mythical ambiguities.

P.S. I like your sig. Tildes indeed get no respect.

Take care,
    Abel

5. Ryan_Kaufman

Ryan_Kaufman DHC Author & Former LucasArts Content Supervisor star 3 VIP

Mar 15, 2005
    I will totally take it on the chin for saying "years" when I meant "months." My bad, my bad!

Yes, please attribute those mistakes to Jax and Shekkie spending too much time in cantinas and hyperspace to keep normal time straight. Poor bastards.

Now, if only I had an excuse half as good.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Excellent article! As always, packed with enough references to make me feel as if I needed a third eye to catch them all. ;)

I guess most of my comments have already been addressed in this thread... particularly those concerning Sate's derisive tone and smarmy word-play.

But I am curious with Seerdon's name... could there possibly be some sort of connection between Max Veers and this fellow (or is this just another instance akin to that of the "Bail" forename?).

Also, concerning this Reginald Barkbone... perhaps I'm just seeing things (finding nonexistent parallels between storylines is my forte), but he immediately brought the infamous real-world pirate leader, Blackbeard, to my mind. Aside from his name and occupation, the obession of Admiral Tigellinus (Galactic Empire) with the pirate parallels that of Robert Maynard (British Empire) with Blackbeard. The "Seven Systems" reference even further enhances the notion that there's more than meets the eye to Barkbone's story.

Anyway, once again, excellent article all around.

7. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    im still waiting for an official explanatio of how interdiction tech and Immobilizers existed before Yavin, yet were invented after Yavin

8. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    that's easy... the empire found the technology (made by someone else, probably non-human) before yavin, but hadn't figured out how to reverse engineer it and make their own versions until after yavin. then they quietly offed the original makers and claimed that their reverse engineering project was actually the inventing team.

edit:
    now that i've gotten to read the online article - great job, Ryan & Abel. perhaps jaxxon's temporal problems can be attributed to drugs or the fact that perhaps he knew that he was being interviewed by the empire and decided to tell some truth, some half-truth, and fudge on some other things, like when stuff happened. likewise, i could see BoShek not terribly interested in being factual to the empire - although perhaps they got him to talk by mentioning his criminal role in destruction of imperial property over Tatooine before the battle of yavin.

Glad to see Barrow has gotten himself somewhere... like an admiral's rank.

9. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Hey, as far as Jaxxon or BoShek making temporal errors goes...my wife (who is completely sober and drug-free) constantly refers to the previous night as "the other night" and the previous day as "the other day", so I'll believe anything is possible [face_talk_hand]

10. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Wow. Can anyone top that?

Looks good Mav! Like I said, the Korriban incident is close enough to the timeframe of Underworld that Pestage's reference makes sense. Pestage himself is vague, so at this point in the Emperor's "convalescence" Palp is likely out of the tank and getting some rest, beginning to entrust the run of mundane Imperial affairs Empire to Pestage.

Also, I must admit I imagined Sate saying "convalescence" in the same way as Ricardo Montalban playing Khan.

Ooh, a master stroke. I like it.

Ah, here's my master stroke. That portion of the Kessel Run section in the Underworld Appendix was written precisely to be readable in three ways: one for the casual fan, one for the fan of the EU, and one for the uber-fan.

Here's the footnote to LFL I included with that section, the longest of the bunch:

This is slightly tricky. We all know Han?s quote from A New Hope, ?I made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs.? BoShek?s story in Tales From the Mos Eisley Cantina, which takes place simultaneous with A New Hope, opens with this smuggler beating Han Solo?s time ?by a tenth.? However, in Classic Star Wars: The Early Adventures, which takes place after A New Hope, Han claims to have set ?a new record for the Kessel Run.? Because these latter stories are obviously not as well known as the movie quote, the text here is vague enough to superficially assume Han?s ?new record? refers to either the movie quote or the Early Adventures quote.

Did someone else answer this? It's as a Kessel warlord.

I have a thing for the post-Palpatine Imperial rulers too. That's a subject I've been wanting to tackle for some time.

I love that name.

Maybe Macemillian, but I don't think so. It's kind of like my friend Joe; in his case, it ain't short for Joseph, it's just Joe on his birth certificate.

I don't think Lando would go for that. Anyway, since Nkllonian lava extract appears as early as post-Clones/pre-Revenge (Boba Fett: Pursuit), someone else must've been able

11. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    I'd guessed! :p

Korunnai uplanders have birth certificates? :p

I guess that the Squibs, being Squibs (and as inimitably koovy as your good self) could have - nay, would have - lengthened "Mace" to "Macemillian"... [face_thinking]

On the other hand, I kinda like the idea that "Maximillian Seerdon" and "Maximillian Veers" might be names like "Winston Smith"... [face_thinking]

I don't know that I trust Lando that much to be legitimate... but maybe that's just my reading of the character? [face_thinking]

:p

... except prosthetic legs?

[face_laugh] I knew you'd say that! :D

Do you know that for sure, though? [face_thinking]

Ooh. Thinky. :p o_O

- The Imperial Ewok

12. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    Great article! I loved every part of it!

Joe: In the Hyperspace article about you drawing, you mention "members of the 501st and Rebel Legion and shot a ton of great photo reference which I utilized for my upcoming assignment for Star Wars Insider magazine" Could you shed some light onto what that might be? [face_mischief]

13. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    It could be the Vader's Legacy article in the next Insider. [face_thinking]

14. Joe_Corroney

Joe_Corroney Artist: -Empire -HNN -Insider -RPG star 2 VIP

May 29, 2003
    I was referring to the Underworld article which I was preparing for while shooting the photo reference.

:)

15. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    Oh, thanks for clearing that up:)

16. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Gracias Bootleg.

Unfortunately.

Hard to resist. The guy's name is Able.

Yep.

Good writing exonerates one of many a continuity sin. [face_shhh]

A lot of three-eye action this time around. I couldn't resist making Reginald Barkbone a Poss'Nomin; the idea of him having a patch over one eye to still have two left just seemed hilarious to me.

Nah, at least as far as I'm concerned. We've got extra Daks, Elans, Jans, and Bails, so I figure Maximillian is just along those lines. Last names are a bit of a different story, but even then we've got all those Antilleses.

Honestly, I don't know much about Blackbeard, I just followed Dan Wallace's single request: Make Barkbone as typically pirate-like as you can with a Star Wars twist. If Barkbone's story resembles Blackbeard's, it's thanks to my pop culture exposure to pirates. Truly one of those instances of any similarity between fictional and actual people being purely coincidental. Insofar as anything's coincidental.

Enter Campbellians!

Thanks Ms. Coffee.

Take care,
    Abel

17. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    [image=http://www.gotfuturama.com/Multimedia/FrameGrabs/3ACV20/Grabs/pic00007.jpg]

:p

18. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    Cilghal, not sure if this is what you're referring to, but Jason Fry, Craig Carey, and I had an article, "Shipyards of Mon Calamari," slated to appear in Star Wars Gamer before the magazine went belly-up.

On the plus side, most of the article's content later appeared in the Mon Calamari section of Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds. On the minus side, the fact that so much of it has already appeared makes it unlikely that the full article will ever be resurrected.

Dan

19. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    On the DVD commentary track to Pirates of the Caribbean, the screenwriters state that their goal was not to make "a movie about pirates" but "a pirate movie." For example, you wouldn't include a (historically inaccurate) walking-the-plank scene in a movie about pirates, but you can't have a "pirate movie" without one.

I had that quote in mind when creating Reginald Barkbone for the NEGD, and while I'm a fan of real-world pirate lore, any similarities to Blackbeard are probably mostly from the context.

Anyway, Abel did a great job on the online article. I told him to go crazy with stereotypically piratey stuff, up to and including peg legs, eye patches, and "Arr, me hearties." I was hugely impressed by the miniature Kowakian lizard-monkey! (Or is it monkey-lizard? I always get those confused.)

I'm just happy Abel didn't include "Yo ho ho and a bottle of lum."

Dan

20. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    I think both versions are technically correct, since I recall both being used in canon sources. :)

In theory, at least. In practice, its easier to to drug whoever runs Hyperspace with avabush tea, and go remove some Grand Moff Grand Moffs and change years to months so that all is well in the world. ;)

21. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    now what we need is an article on Imperial Warlords and Fragmentation^^

or 1 on the many origins of rebellion that became THE rebellion, if some of you remember my flowchart I created about this one ;)

22. Imperial_Commandant

Imperial_Commandant Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2005
    Think of how many people in RL have the same first name. Think of how many Mikes, Dans, Johns, Joes, Sams and Steves there are. Having a couple'a Maximillians should be no big deal.;)

23. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    By the Empire, at least. The Vaagari from Outbound Flight have interdictors, IIRC.

What sources have mentioned interdictors prior to Yavin?

There you go. The Vaagari are jerks anyway.

Thanks brother.

...And I mean that in a Waru way, which I think is more meaningful.

I just couldn't resist borrowing the character. Ahh... someone shoot me.

Hey, I was kidding! Put that thing away you're gonna get us all killed!

I do something similar when I'm just rapping with someone in "storytelling" mode.

24. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Didn't Dark Lord have a CC-2200 Detainer?

25. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    KOTOR has Republic interdictors 4,000 years before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.