main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Insider 89: "Underworld: A Galaxy of Scum and Villiany" by Abel, Ryan, and Joe

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Vengance1003, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    By the way - didn't the Vagaari invent Interdictor technology, according to Zahn, to have it stolen from them by Thrawn (Outbound Flight)?

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, they had it. It isn't necessary that they invented it.

3. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    In fact, I think the book stated that they probably scavenged it from someone else.

TC

4. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    ok, here's what I know

1) the oldest interdiction tech I know is the Sienar Interdictor ship in KOTOR

2) we also see the Vagaari interdiction tech, which in OF could very well be something the Vagaari, as pirates who accumulate the tech of others, stole, but is portrayed as something not familiar to Hutts, Chiss, and Republic

3) the Corellians produced a number of CC-series interdiction ships, inc the New Republic's CC-7700 interdictor frigate introduced in the game Rebellion and mentioned in NEC as used by Bel Iblis versus Daala; IIRC, the ship was supposed to predate the CR90 and DP20, which would indicate it predated Naboo considerably; Dark Lord had a later model, the Detainer CC-2200 interdictor cruiser used in Tarkin and Vader's assault on Kashyyyk (4 mos post ROTS IIRC)

4) In Star Wars Missions, Tarkin left behind a number of backup plans in case the Death Star failed; the plans were acted upon after his death; they included a complex plan involving bacta contamination and an idea of his, the interdictor cruiser; regardless of whether it was really Tarkin's idea is besides the point, the books are clear that to the Imperial Fleet, this was a new and revolutionary idea; the development of this project was slowed down by the destruction of the planet Malagarr, but ultimately led to the introduction of the Sienar Immobilizer

5) we also have the interdiction technology of the Hapans

considerations:

1) the Vagaari interdictor tech would not be necessarily common knowledge to the Imperial fleet, and through Thrawn the concept might have reached Tarkin

2) the fact that the Immobilizer is so similar in many regards to the KOTOR Interdictor and has the SAME manufacturer is suspicious; it is possible the technology was generally forgotten, and Tarkin or an associate discovered some forgotten blueprints in an uncovered archive, so Tarkin assigned Sienar to the project naturally

real problems:

1) the use of interdictor tech in CEC designs during the Rise of the Empire era from well before the Battle of Naboo through the "Dark Times" makes the novelty of the idea of interdiction tech to Imperial fleet officers in Missions hard to believe

2) the appearance of Immobilizers in sources IU chronologically prior to Yavin = anachronistic; such anachronisms pop up as soon as anyone tries to establish a date for the introduction of a technology in a fictional universe with multiple authors!

5. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I still think it's possible that it's the type of interdiction technology that so impresses the Imperials in the Missions books. Let's not forget the mini gravity well projector from Scavenger Hunt--it can't be a conincidence that it was aboard Tarkin's station, after all. The plot hinted at in Missions called for controlling all access to hyperspace itself, not just pulling a few smuggling ships out of hyperspace or preventing Rebel starfighters from escaping a system here and there. Perhaps they were looking at creating large-scale interdiction fields like Centerpoint's.

TC

6. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Of course, the Tales story might only be the way Mace imagined it went down. Alternately, those may have been temporary foster parents.

Really, I just try to see the truth... there is no spoon.

Oh, I shall at that, sah!

That's what I get for typing without my contact lenses on.

I've actually just finished watching my dvd collection of the Loony Tunes. I love those too.

Ah, if only Vader's Legacy hadn't been delayed...

Yeah.

Well...

Not sure. I'd probably prefer either left or right for some good asymmetry.

You have learned much, young one.

And the drawings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.