main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference Interest Measurement Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Sawn_Kassal, Nov 13, 2009.

1. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Me too. I could never resist the temptation to be some part of a Victorian game, really.

2. Glimmer of Hope

Glimmer of Hope Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 1, 2018
    Hello everyone! Newbie here hoping to find some footing among you all.

I've been lurking for awhile and finally decided to make myself known. I want to apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place, but I wanted to see about possibly starting a game and what I would need to do in order to get it up and running.

Suggestions on rules, preferred settings, and the way things work would be greatly appreciated!

I'm more of a fan of settings beyond the films (I'm more familiar with most of the EU as well as the films) and would love to set something up far beyond the timeline that has been currently established as to encourage creativity in character types (unique species, new starships, etc) as well as to not directly provide a canonical link to other established characters (Luke Skywalker, Mace Windu, Watto, Jabba, etc).

I'd also like it to work around a "Three Planet" model much like the films, meaning that the game would only introduce three new worlds in which the players could explore or encounter and not send them careening all around the galaxy. Again, this opens up for more user-created input and the like with non-canon worlds. That's not to say we couldn't still visit Corellia or Dantooine, but it would keep things rather streamlined and less spread out without leaving itself along the ever-feared "railroad".

What do we think? I'd love any help or advice on the matter!

Thanks for reading.

3. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Welcome Glimmer, nice you made the transformation from lurker to someone actually posting.

Games in the future of Stsr Wars have actually worked very well in our community and I believe that won't be a problem. Concerning your three planet rule ... hard to enforce, but for Star Wars it is always ... the more cinematic, the better! Just keep in mind that players leave sometimes.

But ... as much as Inhate being the bearer of bad news ... there IS no sense in letting you waste time or risk wasting times. Games posted by people totally unknown here usually do not get that much attention. People like what they get themselves into, you know? So I would strongly advise to join a few games maybe, to get known a little around here and enjoy a bit of writing before posting your own game idea. It will make getting your game of the ground so much more easier.

HanSolo29 and Glimmer of Hope like this.
  4. Glimmer of Hope

Glimmer of Hope Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 1, 2018
    Thank you for that! While it takes a little bit of the wind from my sails, I still appreciate the honesty behind the advice.

I'm not big on jumping into games that have already started as I personally feel that I've missed far too much to bring a character into. I'd hate to be seen as that "outsider" through the game, but wouldn't that make me the outsider for choosing not to join in? Some self-contemplation for later, perhaps!

I'm the type who takes strange risks, so depending on how things go for now, I may or may not put something together. Just testing the waters, as it were.

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    @Glimmer of Hope

First of all, welcome to the boards! I'm sure you've heard the spiel several times by now, but if you need any help, please feel free to reach out. I'd be happy to help, particularly if you have any questions pertaining to the RPF in general. :)

Secondly, please don't feel intimidated or discouraged to join games that are currently in progress. LordT is correct – it's a great way to meet other players and it give you exposure before launching your own adventure. If you see a game that sparks your interest, reach out to the GM and check to see if they are still accepting new players. Most GMs are very accommodating and they'd be happy to get you started. Just from my own personal experience, I've jumped into a game last year that was 30 some pages long, and I had no problems assimilating with the group. I am still a part of that game today, so please don't think that it's frowned upon. We'd be happy to have you!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  6. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    @Glimmer of Hope Despite there being a lot of evidence to support @LordTroepfchen's argument that having experience playing in games is necessary to launch a successful one of your own, that's certainly not absolute. If I see a game that's well put together, exciting to read, and makes me want to create a character and join ASAP, I'm going to do just that regardless of who created it. And if I see a game from someone who's been in these forums for years that looks poorly constructed, I'm gonna go elsewhere.

Based on your introduction in this thread, you've got the gist of how things work around here, you've got your wits about you and you know how to write coherently, and that's half the battle right there. If you've got an idea you're excited about, don't let nerves cause it to fizzle out. Take the plunge! If it fails, you'll probably get some feedback on what went wrong (sometimes it's a simple case of not enough people joining, which may result in a "Told you so," from Troepfchen :p), and you can always revisit that idea later on at an opportune time. I once launched a game that was dead on arrival, I didn't get enough participants to even start it and I was super disappointed. And this was after over a decade of roleplaying and GMing experience! A year or so later, after a little bit of polish and revisions, I launched a new game using that same concept, and it got off the ground! Sometimes it's just simple timing, but it's never an exact science. Don't stress about it or overthink it, just have fun and do what excites you! I rarely participate in games around here these days, but I'll randomly dabble from time to time, and I'm usually lurking around. My inbox is always open if you have any questions! Best of luck to you! [face_peace]

Edit: Totally forgot about this, speaking of games being dead on arrival. 8-} I launched a thread/game in the RPF that would be great for a newcomer such as yourself! It's called The Darkroom, and it's a freeform game with very little rules and limitations that you can use as a testing ground for any ideas you may have, and anyone can come in and write alongside you! Give it a look!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Glimmer of Hope likes this.
  7. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    I recently played with the idea of a bit different Star Wars game ... one about the ordinary people in the galaxy. The citizens of the Empire and their adventures in the dark times ... the farmers, traders, bartenders, bureaucrats, doctors and Stormtroopers. A character heavy game with adventures on a smaller scale in which the stakes are high because the stories are more personal. So I wondered if anybody would be interested in such a game. Just an idea for now. What do people think?

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Out of all of the games I've seen come through here, a good character study has always been my favorite. I feel that's where I really excel, and it's something that I can really sink my teeth into.

If you ever get around to launching it, Fins, I'd certainly be interested. :)

9. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Well, if we are honest ... this sounds closer to a Star Wars game than anything we did here. Star Wars was never about awesome Jedi Masters saving the day ... main characters were a child slave, a Farmboy, a junk collector ...

If I could make time I would so love to join Fin, but me joining your games is also kind of a tradition by now.

Mitth_Fisto and HanSolo29 like this.
  10. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Anyone else find themselves craving a massive crossover, a la Dubya_Scott's Exiles game? No? Just me?

11. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Sounds interesting Fins. I would join if one of my other games ends before that one begins. I think I am technically writing in/for something like eleven characters at the moment with all but one in separate games from the others. . .yes I am nuts apparently :p

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  12. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Oh I wouldn't dare to dinghies while The Crossing is still running ... but 11 characters is bad.

@Reynar_Tedros I believe the current generation of players are not familiar with the game Reynar. I am not and I am considered old I was recently told. Maybe you should explain a bit what you have in mind.

13. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    That's why I linked to it. :p It was just a massive crossover where players could portray any character from any franchise they wanted. Fun premise.

14. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Excuse the double post, but
    I'm in the middle of reading Steven Price's By Gaslight, and boy am I into this idea even more now.

15. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    Actually I take that as reading advise The OP is written, so I will post it once The Crossing ends (or my character bites the dust).

16. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Any hint what it will be about? Maybe revive the old tradition of posting it in the GM Group!

17. GenOochy

GenOochy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 8, 2003
    RP story idea I have been thinking about for a while.

One year post-Clone Wars. A special operations unit within the 501st and Imperial Intelligence is tasked with kill/capture missions against the leadership remnants of the Confederacy of Independent Systems. This includes local leaders, scientist, financiers, and other operatives to bring them to swift Imperial justice and prevent them from engaging in insurgent activities later down the line.

The game would be episodic, each episode a series of smaller missions that will lead ultimately to the final jackpot. The characters would be almost entirely clone war vets, including ARC and RC troopers, as well as analyst, interrogators, subject matter experts, and intelligence operatives. I would say no to force users and/or inquisitors for the game.

The game would not be all kinetic action: meeting with sources, interrogation, and lead following would all be included to help build the case that leads to the eventual capture/kill of the named objectives.

Who's interested? And who would be interested in helping develop this game with me?

BLemelisk and LordTroepfchen like this.
  18. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Very interesting idea. The early Empire! I would give it a shot. Good to see you around, Gen! Remember your run in 128 ABY fondly. You had some sweet scenes there I remember with this cool alien race running a ship, right?

GenOochy likes this.
  19. GenOochy

Jan 8, 2003
    Thank you! I'm trying to get back into the swing of things. (as a note, I have a Wolatarian character sheet pending for Black Sheep Squadron)

In a early-Empire SOF game, what themes and plots would you like to see?

LordTroepfchen likes this.
  20. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Well, I would expect a little Empire building. How does the transformation look like? On the ground level. Outside the senate. Not a main theme, but I think it would have to be there.

Also I think it would be interesting to see how the Empire treats former CIS worlds.

One thing I would like is being able to play as a non-clone. Someone not strictly obedient as the clones are, but having a few doubts. After all they are on a kill mission. That is a bit questionable. Can make great drama. Imagine a former lover or friend turning up on the list etc.

21. GenOochy

Jan 8, 2003
    That's what I was thinking of having more than just operator characters (who would still be mostly clones at this point).

The backdrop would certainly be early Empire development and with the challenges that come with that. We don't have a lot of immediately post-Clone Wars novels to work from, but I would imagine that the situation on most former CIS worlds would look a lot like the Reconstruction-era southern states (U.S.) or maybe post-war Japan/Germany. While the first targets would be all CIS, later targets might start to include Republic war heroes that are now considered a threat to the Empire (characters like Saw Gerrera).

22. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    GenOochy? This must be what? Ten years since we got Kira Romar down to this planet in 128 ABY? Remember the Caterpillars fondly!

Re the game, I think it must find it's human core. Clones might be difficult there (also not impossible). Also what group size were you planning on?

GenOochy likes this.
  23. GenOochy

Jan 8, 2003
    Damn near it... Been a long, long while. I have a 'Caterpillar' making an appearance over in Black Sheep Squadron soon, actually.

Been continuing to refine the game and it's near completion. The main focus is going to be on the ISB officers for that exact reason. Here's a little preview from the opening post (this is just a snip, there's a lot more to the post. This is just the part that is relevant to your questions)
    I'm going to fill in the open clone commando spots with NPCs (if they aren't filled by players). I think minimum ISB officer characters (not necessarily players) is six, and it can expand past that probably to a max of 12 at the upper end. The stared slots are the ones we really need to start and have a good game.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    BLemelisk likes this.
  24. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I haven't GMed before, although I've been playing for a few months. I've had this idea for a while, think it might work better as a collaborative than a fanfic... a sort of Earth/Star Wars/Chariots of the Gods/Raiders crossover... Along the lines of Indiana Jones, Death on the Nile, and Brendan Fraser's Mummy with a dash of Miss Fisher and Warehouse 13, set in 1928...

What if… Star Wars really happened?
    What if… a group of Jedi fleeing order 66 with their supporters were accidentally stranded on the third planet of a solar system in a galaxy on the other side of the universe, with no way to return?
    What if… they left traces?

What if…Erich von Daeniken was right?

Would this interest anyone?

DarkLordoftheFins likes this.
  25. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Actually ... sounds intruiging.