main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference Interest Measurement Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Sawn_Kassal, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Master Vo

Master Vo Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2017
    I'm thinking that I could focus a lot into the Trojan War, maybe even go as far to say as keep the players as Spartans. I did actually have an idea for people to be people part of Odysseus' crew during the events of the Odyssey but I scrapped that idea.
    Would people enjoy or be interested in playing as a Spartan or being someone in the Trojan War? I'm asking really just so I can narrow down on what people would want to do in such a game (if there is something else that interests you in Greek Mythology that you think would work in an RPG please do tell me!)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Well, Master Vo, those are two very different games you propose. Also both the Iliad and the Odyssey are from the same author, I think they would make largely different games. The War for Troy is a well known story with a fixed outcome (let me guess, there would be a wooden horse?) and any story thereafter would be completely open ... if it is not linked to Odysseus himself. I think playing a war which we all know how it ends is a bit ... difficult.

Master Vo'Un'Var likes this.
  3. Master Vo

Mar 19, 2017
    You make good points, but the Trojan War does have slightly more opportunity than that. (again this also was an idea I had, nothing fixed) The Trojan war lasted for about 10 years, a 10-year siege to be exact. Now, I actually had a plan that would take place during the Battle of 300. (something that I'm not particularly keen on doing but could pose as a good start to the story) I also was juggling a few ideas that would be set immediately after the Sacking of Troy where some soldiers got caught in their own troubles... (Sort of a parallel to The Odyssey but not really)
    I would love to see some open world-ish type game for this, but I fear that would be difficult. What would help is knowing what people would be interested in if there was such a game to be released.
    On the other hand I do agree with you on the fact of the Trojan War, just testing the waters a bit, one could say.

BobaMatt likes this.
  4. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Well, what I don't get is what the game will be like ... are we talking about players experiencing their own Greek Mythology episode based on the stories of Homer, or are we more in the Assassin's Creed Odyssey territory here, where we slay monsters based on Greek mythology?

The siege of Troy certainly opens the possibilities for both directions to be taken.

5. Master Vo

Mar 19, 2017
    Now, you caught me where I'm a bit torn up. I have several openings (mostly during a battle of sorts) were we introduce the cast and such (these don't have a very Homer feel, so I guess I'd put them with AC?) But honestly I have quite a bit planned for both paths.
    Honestly though, I'd prefer to take this game in a different direction than Homer's works, so to answer your question it would be closer to AC but not AC (If that makes sense)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  6. Master Vo

Mar 19, 2017
    Ignore this post

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  7. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Well, a game like this needs a strong hook. Something that grabs players, that they wanna do or explore or see happening. There is certainly a non-SW-crowd around here nowadays, but they need to see something there worth joining. So you should concentrate on what this hook can be! Greek Legends probably give you plenty of starting points.

BobaMatt and Master Vo'Un'Var like this.
  8. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    In other words: what will the players be doing?

9. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    So, actually I think I got one more game in me ... in early planning stage of Villain. A superhero game with a twist. You are not the heroes. You don't have powers. You play criminals who have to deal with the sudden emergence of a vigilante with powers beyond that of normal humans.

It will be a small game with a player cap and much like The Crossing I will try to tell a concentrated story.

If anyone interested, my PM box is open.

10. Master Vo

Mar 19, 2017

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Vice-Chancellor Amedda?

Chancellor Palpatine has been killed by Masters Windu and Skywalker. Execute Order 66.

Yes, my Lord.

That was nearly nineteen years ago.

All that Sidious needed was an apprentice and he would turn the key.

He failed.

Amedda turned it for him.

The nascent Empire, the reborn Republic, the bloodied Confederacy; they found not a common enemy but a divide that could not be crossed with words or fought with war.

A stalemate.

The Galactic Cold War began.

Anakin Skywalker, to the soft sadness of Yoda, to the grim censure of Mace, to the quiet disappointment of Obi-Wan, left the Jedi Order.

The balance of power, held in the hands the Senate.

The Jedi Order, crippled, but rebuilding.

The Force, not yet balanced, but holding its breath.

The Emperor...

... with time on his side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  12. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Confusing, but compelling!

Sinrebirth likes this.
  13. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    I think it would be good for the boards to have a Star Wars game that is easy to access. Do you have a name yet @Sinrebirth?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Twilight of the Force: A Fathers Legacy

Possibly.

15. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    This is familiar.

(my god, it's been (almost) six years since Rebirth.

where has time gone

what is life)

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I AM SO, SO SO THERE! =D= =D= [face_party]

Sinrebirth likes this.
  17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    @Kaleesh-Cyborg, I have a need of you in this game.

The OP is likely to go up next week, my friends.

18. Kaleesh-Cyborg

Kaleesh-Cyborg Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 4, 2017

*sticks head out of the rafters; has no idea what he has been summoned for*

You tagged, m’lord?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  20. Master Vo

Mar 19, 2017

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  21. Master Vo

Mar 19, 2017
    Something went wrong with this post.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    RachelTyrell likes this.
  22. Master Vo

Mar 19, 2017
    There's something in me that really wants to see an Indiana Jones game were players would be those oh-so beloved characters. Is it just me?

BobaMatt likes this.
  23. Lawbreaker

Lawbreaker Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 21, 2018
    Who would players play? Would one be Indiana Jones? Who would the others play?

24. Master Vo

Mar 19, 2017
    That's a concern I have, While I would personally go straight for Henry Jones Sr. over Indy, I can see it being a problem.

25. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    That is indeed the problem you gotta crack. Indy movies are one-man-shows and RPF games are ensemble dramas. You need to find a solution to this very problem and if you do I am sure you are gonna have an audience. It is a very popular franchise.