main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Internal Conflict In Palpatine?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_Nabb, Jul 25, 2021.

?

Was there an internal conflict in Palpatine?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. No

55 vote(s)
    91.7%
  3. Maybe

4 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    He's a great lover of peace. He just wants to end those horrific and bloody Star Wars.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Lord Exor

Lord Exor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2019
    Sidious needed more motive rants. It isn't too difficult to read between the lines (and his goals are spelled out in supplementary materials) but it would have been swell to hear him bloviate about immortality and his superiority to the meager peons he's destined to rule over.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That would have made him an even worse mustache-twirler than he already was.

4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    When he's chillin' who does he hang out with that's what I want to know . Those advisors don't look much fun.

5. Lord Exor

Lord Exor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2019
    That's the point.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Good guy Palpatine. Gives Luke the better seat.

christophero30 and Sarge like this.
  7. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    On the other hand, he was hogging the throne and refused to let Luke sit down there. So clearly he's evil.

8. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    He had initial disappointment at Luke's decision, but had no remorse in killing him. soon after. He tested Vader numerous times before in life and death challenges, and if the Rebels failed in their Endor attack, Vader and Palpatine could've continued their working relationship as normal. They did so in the past.

9. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    There weren't even any snacks . At least Vader put on some dinner for his guests (I'd love to see that scene)

Darth Caliban and christophero30 like this.
  10. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I'm sure his stomach acted up at times, at least.

11. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    he probably had to get up twice a night . So I kinda feel for him. y'know , old guys get grumpy.

Lulu Mars and Sarge like this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "You can sleep 8 hours non-stop? Impressive. Most impressive." :vader:

Lulu Mars likes this.
  13. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I think telling Luke "Now young Skywalker you will die" was him really trying to comfort Luke that it will all be over soon. Really a generous way to let someone know you're gonna kill them.

Even the smile after was definitely an intended "I'm really helping this kid, today" smile. I think Lucas would agree.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "If you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life".

[​IMG]

15. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I can't help thinking that this war was all the fault of his dentist .

Sarge and BlackRanger like this.
  16. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    "Hm. Should I annihilate Endor now, or later? There are rebels there whose fiery demise would suit my purposes fine, but fear for their lives might also break this youthful fool. Choices, choices."

Erkan12, Sarge and BlackRanger like this.
  17. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    If nothing else, he seems like a very understanding guy. He flat out tells Luke, "I can feel your anger, let your hate flow through you" which is really just another way of saying, "I understand that you're upset, and really, you have every right to be." He's being the bigger man at that moment, admitting that his actions must have been upsetting to Luke. It takes a level of humility to admit that. Most people in his position would have been like, "What are you talking about?? I didn't do anything! I don't know why you're so upset!" But no, Palps is understanding, and perhaps even something of an empath. Kudos to him. And he even goes so far as to tell Luke to strike him down. He's so ashamed of himself for upsetting Luke, he wants to die.

18. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Yeah he was just misunderstood... I'm sure he was a really nice person underneath it all...

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Unless he was just born psychopathic, then presumably he once had an innocent soul before falling to evil. Vader was irredeemable to everyone except Luke. Obi-Wan and Ashoka both could not reach him. Had Vader or Palpatine killed Luke, then Vader would have been irredeemable. I personally am not a fan of the “Palpatine was just always evil a irredeemable” stance. I’d rather the character be more nuanced like Anakin. That he was someone that fell, but that unlike Vader, the people that could have reached him and saved his soul either didn’t try or died before they could, making him irredeemable by the time he became Emperor.

Having said all of that. I wouldn’t be opposed to them doing a backstory on the character that was more humanizing and nuanced, but by the time of RotJ (or even TPM) his empathy was completely gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarge likes this.
  20. Scoffed-Gherkin

Scoffed-Gherkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 11, 2021
    “For nothing is evil in the beginning. Even Sauron was not so.”

Sarge and BlackRanger like this.
  21. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Once he found his cause, there was no looking back. It stuck to him like cement.

22. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2017
    I tend not to believe that anyone is 'irredeemable', but Palpatine was far into the black as it gets.

Sarge likes this.
  23. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I wouldn't mind seeing some content exploring Palp's time as Emperor . we didn't see that much in the movies.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  24. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I think the difference is believing in a philosophy. From Palpatine's point of view, the Jedi are evil and the Sith is good. He genuinely believes that. While Anakin also said ''From my point of view the Jedi are evil!'' I don't think Anakin truly and fully believed in that, maybe in that moment he tried to believe that, but deep down, he probably didn't fully believe it.

But for Sidious, and for the rest of the Rule of Two Sith Lords, it's just a way for them to look into the Force and to Star Wars universe. As Palpatine said;

''If one is to understand the great mystery, one must study all its aspects, not just dogmatic narrow view of the Jedi. If you wish to become a complete and wise leader you must embrace a larger view of the Force.''

I think Palpatine truly believes in it.

So my point is that, it's a matter of philosophy for Palpatine and for other Sith lords, that they must use all the Force powers to understand the great mystery and for becoming a wise and a complete leader. He obviously also believes in monarchy and imperialism, and he also know the fact that the Sith ruled the Star Wars galaxy for many thousands of years from many different worlds and from many different organizations, but old Sith before Rule of Two never truly ruled the entire galaxy, because they were not united, with Rule of Two, the Sith finally achieved its ultimate goal in the Clone Wars, and they managed to rule almost entire galaxy with one big Sith Empire.

Perhaps, Palpatine might be less violent and be less killing machine while doing what he believes is right, I don't think the comparison with him to a mindless serial killer with no purpose would be the right comparison, Palpatine had a purpose and a philosophy, but while ruling the entire galaxy he might be an extremist and turn into a serial killer from time to time, but there's also a fact that he had many followers and I don't think he killed the people who followed him just because he wanted or he thought it was fun.

Not only Palpatine, also Maul and the other Rule of Two Sith Lords who lived before them believes in this specific philosophy, which kind of makes it like a culture or like a religion for them.

Of course everyone can be turned to the light side, just like everyone can be turned to the dark side, I don't think there is %100 light side or %100 dark side, because there can't be light without dark and dark without light, it's balanced, they need to exist together.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  25. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I think Palpatine doesn't believe in suppressing emotions like anger and violence , he believes there's a vitality to them.

Erkan12 and Sarge like this.