main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Interview with a Sith - Darth Vader speaks - Complete 3/14 - Cover art added!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: Interview with a Sith
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Darth Vader, OC
    Genre: short story
    Timeframe: post ESB
    Summary: A reporter is given the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to interview a Sith Lord. But there are a few strings attached and Darth Vader has an agenda all his own.

Author?s Note: I was inspired by the book (and movie) Interview with a Vampire. All of this takes place within one interview, although it is split up into several parts in the interest of keeping the posts manageable.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/VadersLover/Interviewcopy.jpg]

Cover art by Gina. Thank you! [:D]

Interview with a Sith

Chapter 1: The Interview Begins

The manner in which it all came about is still a mystery to me. One moment I was sitting there, just another bit of humanity caught up in the events of the galaxy and the next I was being led to a shuttle. My destination was not revealed to me. And who was I to ask questions?

I was a reporter. I made my living from the pain of others, for the news is seldom happy. A content man does not make the evening news. No, it is heartache and anger and grief that make interesting fodder for the masses.

But I was known to have some scruples. That was a handicap in my business to be sure, and almost certainly the origin of my current situation. I was looked upon as an oddity by my fellow purveyors of misery.

A gray faced man in an equally gray uniform marched up to me and practically clicked his heels in a militarily precise halt.

He had to repeat his words twice, for I was so confused that they became a meaningless jumble of sounds. Even when I confirmed what he said, my shock rendered me dumb for a long moment.

I was here to interview Darth Vader.

I suppose I was a safe enough outlet for him. But his motivation escaped me. However, my curiosity won out and I nodded acceptance. I agreed to all the terms outlined by the gray man.

As if I had any choice in the matter.

I was shown to a spacious, if rather monochromatic, set of quarters. Already inside waited the familiar figure of Lord Darth Vader, the Emperor?s hired killer and enforcer. He was taller than I imagined, even after seeing countless news vids. He did not introduce himself or ask my name. I already knew his and mine was not important.

?Shall we start with the beginning? I am born - I grow up?? The Sith Lord?s deep voice rumbled through the small room. The interview had begun, so much for the pleasantries.

I swallowed hard and nodded my head, not trusting my ability to speak.

?Very well then, let us start there,? he instructed me. ?I was born a slave,? he began matter-of-factly.

?Excuse me?? I had to interrupt. The thought of this armored being having been a slave was too fantastic not to explore. ?You were born a slave?? Surely I had heard that incorrectly.

?You find that surprising??

I nodded uneasily.

?Who desires power more than one who does not have even the most basic right of self determination?? His voice sounded oddly detached, as if discussing a hypothetical problem with some crusty old academic. Perhaps that electronic voice could not convey emotion.

?How old were you when you were freed??

?I was ten years old the first time I freed myself,? Lord Vader replied.

?The first time??

He turned away from me then and seemed to be looking out the large viewports into the black of space beyond. We were in his quarters, a rare enough occurrence if the reaction of his crew was any indication.

I chose not to interrupt his silence. I have interviewed all types of beings, from heroes to killers and all those in between. This man ? if indeed he was a man- would talk. I could sense that; I needed only to have patience and he would talk. It was almost as if he needed to talk. And I was a good listener; I made my living doing just that.

He longed to speak of his life; it was a common feeling among those who are isolated and withdr

2. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    *steals first post...hopefully!* YES!!! :D <<that's a proud smile! ;)

He longed to speak of his life; it was a common feeling among those who are isolated and withdrawn from society. And who would be more withdrawn than one who existed in a prison from which he could never escape?

how sad, but true...that mask/suit kept him a captive--no one ever saw his expressions again, i wonder if he still made them anyway?

He swung about and I wondered what color the eyes were that I could feel boring into me. One didn?t need the mythical Force to feel the weight of this creature?s stare. I felt a hot flush of shame when I realized that I had denied him his humanity. Breaking one of the first rules of my trade, I had a preconceived notion of what and who he was. Isn?t that why I was here, to find the person beneath the machinery?
    very cool--nice to see him coming around to the fact that Vader is more than what he appears to be ;)

I had always prided myself on my work, my ability to remain cool under pressure. Of course, I am also a fool.
    lol--nice line...and perhaps more? [face_mischief] ;)

this is going to be really cool, i can tell! and who better to write this great story idea than VaderLvr!! :)

3. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Wow -- very interesting and powerful! Almost makes you feel sorry for him having to go from one master to another his entire life and never freeing himself from slavery. I must say he's braver than I to interview Darth Vader :p

Excellent job I look forward to more!

Edit -- Blast you Sarka :p I was hoping for first post!

4. Ana_Labris

Ana_Labris Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    *bounces around like a happy puppy* Oh, this is so great!! *giggles*

*stops self*

As I was saying, this is certainly interesting :D Love all the pauses and so on. Cannot wait for the nest post!

5. JediMasterRev

JediMasterRev Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2004
    Interesting first post. I really like the concept as I am a huge fan of where you got it from :). Really am curious how you will tell the remaining story. I'm sensing lots of great angst. Really looking forward to more soon! hint hint ;)

6. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    ?I lived in the Jedi Temple and I had a different sort of Master, but a Master nonetheless,? he elaborated. ?Of course, this one did not beat me or threaten to sell me. No, my enslavement was much more civilized this time around.?

That about sums it up, at least from Vader's point of view. I love Rice's work, very cool to see it brought into play here.

7. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    SarkaVrae The reporter is as complex as Vader. I had fun writing him, smart mouth and all!

Layren He didn't have much choice about the interview, and more about that later! :D

Ana_Labris So glad you like it. I hope you'll like what comes next.

JediMasterRev Yeah, I like Anne Rice, too. Especially her earlier stuff. I hope you like what's coming.

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Thanks! I hope you'll stay tuned for the rest.

Also, a big thank you to Gina for giving this a read!

8. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    This is really interesting so far! I like how he's talking about events but changing them. Excellent characterizations! I thought he might think like that.

9. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    This is great. How come you didn't tell me you were writing it? :mad:

10. Jazz_Skywalker

Jazz_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Interesting premise, VaderLVR64! I've never seen Interview with a Vampire, but I'm very intrigued to see where you are going with this!

Upsies!

JS

11. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    Wow, a reporter interviewing Darth Vader; I've had sooo many fantasies about this! :p

12. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Great idea for a story!

13. Darth_Djinn

Darth_Djinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2004
    VaderLVR64 again I bow before your talent. I loved Interview with a Vampire. You do the concept more then its due. I look forward to more on this story.

14. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Very nice indeed, this looks to be very enjoyable. I like the extended reaction of the reporter to the story that Vader was a slave. :D I think it's too bad that he won't talk about his life as a Jedi, though... although it's very interesting the way he describes being a padawan as a different type of slavery. It also makes me wonder where in the galaxy this reporter thinks he's going to publish this particular story! :p

15. Jaina-Solo-1

Jaina-Solo-1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 21, 2005
    This is awesome! Please continue!

16. Geith_Jiseo

Geith_Jiseo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Cooooooooool! I love this idea, VaderLVR64. Loved this line especially: One does not argue with a Sith, unless one does not wish to survive the argument, that is. Keep it up!

Oh, and Interview With the Vampire happens to be one of my favorite books and movies. :D

17. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Vongchild It's truth 'from a certain point of view!'

VadersMistress You never listen to me anyway!

Jazz_Skywalker I hope you like what comes later! It's all written and ready to post, just being edited and tweaked!

mixza Would that not be the best interview EVER? I wish I could do that interview!

dally Thanks! It hit while I was watching Interview with a Vampire. Shocking, huh? ;)

Darth_Djiin Thank you! You have no idea how much that means to me!

ShrunkenJedi Vader may open up more. But he has his own agenda, so it will be dictated by that. Thanks for reading!

Jaina-Solo-1 Thank you! I'm glad you like it!

Geith_Jiseo Yeah, I love both, too! Thanks so much for reading this odd little tale!

18. Shmi02

Shmi02 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2002
    I like it so far-- very cool idea-- how does a Sith go about telling his life story? Hmmm. Looking forward to seeing where it will go!

19. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Aw, this is cool as hell. :D I love all the references to Interview.

Can't wait for more!

20. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    I'll be sure to keep an eye on this.

21. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    Very cool story! I love the movie and the book. And you're doing a great job of incooperating elements of GFFA and Interview as well! =D=

22. LadyZaraMarta

LadyZaraMarta Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2004
    Looking forward to your next chapter!
    Very entertaining!

23. Koori

Koori Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    Very interesting beginning, VL. I love Interview with the Vampire, and I'm enjoying the way you've brought the concept into the Star Wars universe. I look forward to more.

24. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    You know how much I love this! It's so dark and chilling.

I chose not to interrupt his silence. I have interviewed all types of beings, from heroes to killers and all those in between. This man ? if indeed he was a man- would talk. I could sense that; I needed only to have patience and he would talk. It was almost as if he needed to talk. And I was a good listener; I made my living doing just that.

I especially loved this part.

25. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Shmi02 He tells it any darn way he wants to! :D Thanks for reading.

RebelScum77 So glad you like it! :)

TIEPilot051999 Welcome! And thanks! I hope you'll like the rest of it.

AnakinsHeir Thank you, it was a joy to write.

LadyZaraMarta I hope the rest will prove interesting. Glad to have you along for the ride.

Koori Thanks! It was an insistent plot bunny! ;)

Gina Thank you for so much, especially for giving this a read in its rough form and convincing me not to hit that delete key!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.