main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Interviews with an author ~ IMPORTANT QUESTION~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kit', Jul 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000
    The toe trick's maybe a secret... but I WILL tell you it's based on what my sis can do with hers! :D :D Good job sis! And maybe in five years time I'll be able to write a story with you! ;)

A Kit interview... a great idea! I'll start thinking of questions too.

And if anyone's interested in the Jemmiah Chronicles (which has some fabulous authors!), the link to the website's in my sig below.

2. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Those are the funniest Fics I have ever read. Antar is a must! I would stay up late every night for about a week reading it. I laughed so hard my parents would complain in the morning that I woke them up in the middle of the night. :D

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Hey Calam, I didn't know Jem was your SISTER? That's awesome!

ACK! The most notorious question has not been answered! What DOES Simon do with his toes??? ;)

4. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Want to know what is coming up on the Interviews with authors thread?

~ Mistress_Renata ~ , ~ Amidala_Skywalker ~ and our very own ~ Jedi Galadriel ~

[round of applause and wild cheers]

I must also take this opportunity to thank my friend Imzadi . She has helped me on many occasions throughout this thread, especially with the questions. Imzadi has this wonderful way of coming up with the most inspired questions right when I'm about to give up and ask them "What's your favourite food?"

She is one truly amazing girl!

Kit

5. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    [More exciting music]

Thank you, Ladies and Gentlemen. Next up we have one of the most inspiring writer's on the boards. She is the mistress of the AU's, the creator of The Penitent, and Father's heart. She has one of the most beautiful writing styles, that I've read on the JC boards so far...

She is JediGaladriel!!!!!!!!!

JediGaladriel, can you give us some background information about yourself?

Hmmm...

I was born in the wilds of Western New York (well, okay, Buffalo), and grew up in a small town not far from the Genessee River. I was six years old when Star Wars first came out, though I'd turned seven by the time it got to the theater in the next town over. Everyone had been waiting for it. The line wrapped around the block twice, and the theater oversold--all of the little kids ended up sitting on the floor in front of the seats, and the screen was absolutely huge. I decided then and there that I wanted to make Star Wars stories, though I had only the vaguest notion of what that might mean, and thought Princess Leia was probably really in charge of them.

I was a drama club/band sort of person in high school, and a media junkie in college (mainly the tv station). After college in Boston, I started working in libraries, and finally decided to get my library science degree so that I could get a professional level job. On the bright side of this, it brought me back to the Boston area, which is my favorite place on the planet (so far).

Do you have any hobbies outside of writing and do they influence what you write?

Other hobbies come and go. I try to teach myself to draw periodically, and I went on a three-year genealogy kick. I enjoy mythology and fairy tales, and read them a lot, as well as reading a lot about them. All of those things come and go in my writing--a lot of my characters lean toward art (with Anakin, particularly, I latched onto the japor snippet and turned him into a very good artist), I tend to look at long-range family history a lot, and fairy tales and myths come into almost everything. On the art issue, I am also an avid museum-goer and a fan of fan art. I know next to nothing about art history or art theory of course, but the enthusiasm is there, for what it's worth.

Probably the most important hobby for writing was being in drama club. For ages, I thought I wanted to be an actress, but no one was doing shows, and even if they were, there's not a lot of call for plain fat girls. At some point it occurred to me that, by writing, I could play every single part. Wow. And that's really how I've always written--I'm struck when I read interviews with writers and with actors by how much more my approach to character is like the actors' approach than like the writers'. I think there are many important technical things I've learned about how to present a character from writers, but the basic genesis of a character is almost always "acted" more than written.

When did you become interested in writing Star Wars fan fiction?

It was actually the first thing I wrote at all seriously. Not long after Return of the Jedi came out (I was in junior high at the time), I discovered that several of the people I was in Odyssey of the Mind with were also SW fans. We started our own little club, and made up characters in the next generation. We'd get together in the local park, where a tree was Endor and a pile of gravel was Tatooine, and have adventures. They carried on into slumber parties. These friends were also drama club types, so rather than playing the adventures like games, we treated them as ad libbed scenes. After awhile, I started writing them down. They were wretched, and are long-lost (thankfully), but they were a lot of fun.

Why Star Wars fan fiction in the first place?

Star Wars is stuck in my head like a catchy tune. Every time I think I'm about done commenting, something new comes up and I have to write. My family keeps getting on my case about when I plan to write something "real"--as opposed to.

6. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Look at characters form an actor's POV? Hmm.. that's a great idea, JG. :)

Bravo Kit and Imzadi for helping her!

7. Loka Hask

Loka Hask Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 1999
    Yay, she mentioned the Sith Order! I'm so proud to have worked with her on that! :D *beams with pride*

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    A fine interview of an amazing author! :) :)

9. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Wow, neat to hear from the only author who made Anakin vaguely sympathetic to me! I miss some things about Boston, but not the winters... :D

(*I'm* coming up? Guess that's a hint to send back my responses... I've edited them about seven times! :p )

10. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Ladies and gentlemen, tonight I bring you the first male fan fiction writer to be interviewed. [face_blush] He is the master of humor. Raised by bunnies in the Pacific north west, this young man has a keen sense of humor. :)

That's right, Ladies and Gentlemen it's....BlindMan

[Sound of loud cheers]

Blind Man, can you give us some background information on yourself?

Well, I was raised by bunny rabbits in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest. At a young age, I learned that the two-legged man-things were my enemy, but I found myself strangely facinated by their culture. At night, I would often leave the burrow and sit on a hill overlooking the "drive-in"--where the humans would park their strange metal conveyances and procreate while moving images flashed on a giant screen. I couldn't figure out how the moving images induced the mating urge, but found it all quite intriguing. Then one day the leaders of my burrow told me that I *was* one of the man-things and it was time for me to go join their world....Well, you can imagine my shock.

How did you first become interested in Star Wars?

I saw "Star Wars" when it first came out, and been in love with it ever since. (And yes, for me, the first film will always be just "Star Wars", as opposed to "A New Hope". Anyone else like this, or is it just me?)

As a kid, I played with the action figures; role-played with my friends; made little paper cut-outs of the characters and vehicles and glued them to popcicle sticks so I could put on little puppet shows...that sort of thing.

When did you first find out about the JC

Hmmm...It was probably late last summer, though I didn't actually register until last fall. (I lurked around a bit to get a feel for the place.)
    I'd had my "Star Wars" website going for a while, but most of the content there revolved around picture parodies (i.e. pictures with goofy captions) and I was looking for a place where I might dip my toe into writing actual stories, and get some feedback. The JC fit the bill perfectly.

What is your writing environment like?

At the moment, rather cluttered. :)
    I basically just sit in my apartment pecking away at the keyboard--though I actually come up with most of the story ideas while I'm at work. Bits of dialogue or plot just kind of percolate in the back of my mind while I'm working, gradually coming together into actual tales...

What inspires you to write?

I think it's just the desire to connect with a reader. The first time I felt it, I was just a wee Blind Lad in second grade. I'd been selected as one of the kids who would represent my school in a Young Writers Conference--schools from around the region would send representatives to an area college for a day of writing workshops and such...

At the Conference I was dropped off with other second graders from other schools, and we all read one of our stories to the class. Mine was the heart-wrenching tale of a little lost dog. :p At the end of that class, the instructor was leading us off to lunch, and giving the usual warnings of "Don't wander off, stay together," etc. To which one of the other kids replied, "We don't want to wind up like the little lost dog."
    Which was just the coolest. To know that someone had actually been listening to my story, that was a great feeling. That's when I knew I wanted to be a writer, and it's that feeling, that "connection" that I always try to recapture whenever I write...

?A Boonta Eve Tale? is entirely poetry, is it really hard to tell the whole story like that (in poetry I mean)?

It's more difficult that my typical stuff, yeah. Getting into that rhythm after I've been away for a while is the hardest part--but eventually I'll hit that "zone" where the rhymes come a bit more fluidly. Getting to that point can be a bit aggravating, though...

What gave you the idea to write ?A Boonta Eve Tale? like that?

I basically just wanted to do a Christmas-type story set in the "Star Wars

11. HaiGan

HaiGan Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2000
    Hey, someone I thought was completely new to me, and I found out I'd actually lurked a bit on one of his threads. Something I started actually kicked off a story? Kool! ;)

Any chance of including links to the various authors' stories (or a sample of them) at the end of each interview, Kit? Only there's all these interesting mentions and references, and it would make it much easier to follow them up.

This is great, a thread that everybody can join in with regardless of their favorite genres and authors. Send off those PMs and suggested questions, folks, I'm getting thoroughly curious about everybody else out there. :)

12. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Done HaiGan, at your request :)

A very good suggestion indeed!

[Cue ominous music]

And still to come... Amidala Skywalker, Rebel Mom, Mistress Renata, and Talon Squad Leader!

Plus many, many, many more!

Kit

13. PeterTutham27

PeterTutham27 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2001
    YAY BLINDMAN! WOO!

*cheers until he blushes, then grins evilly*

*looks at upcoming*

AM! MY SWEETY! WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!

14. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    Thanks! [face_blush]

15. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    The thank you's should all come from me Imzadi...and be directed at you~! :)

All done HaiGan, there is now at least one link at the bottom of every interview. I've tried to find links to every story that was referenced (some I couldn't get) :(

Hope that makes it better for people.

By the way, if you have any suggestions on how I could make the interviews better, or what questions you think should be asked. Feel free to either post them here or PM me. Remember to PM your nominations :)

One chirpy and rather cheery
    Kithera

16. Loka Hask

Loka Hask Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 1999
    you guys just wait! One day I'LL be interviewed! Yesseree! (Now all I need to do is actually FINISH one of the many stories I've started...)

:p

17. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Blindman, you're too funny...

Loka, LOL! I'm with you on that... I someday might be interviewed... if only one of my stories would become popular! ;)

Great job, Kit and Imzadi. :)

18. HaiGan

Nov 7, 2000
    Whoo, that must have taken a bit of work, Kit', actually finding all those links!

19. BlindMan

BlindMan Jedi Master star 2

Nov 25, 2001
    Kudos to Kit' (and Imzadi) for a great idea! It was fun to participate... :)

Of course, the irony is, I just got home from work and was going to send in a revision on one of my answers--explaining that I focus on dialogue because the characters don't click for me until I "hear" them speak--hoping that I could make the change before my interview went "live". Way too late for that, though! :p

It was still a blast to be considered worthy of an interview. Thanks! :)

Looking forward to the next author...

(EDIT: Revision completed! Thanks, Kit' ! :) )

:) Blind Man

20. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Thanks everyone.

Blindman, if you want to send in the revision, I can change it for you! :)

Cue dramatic music

Tonight on "Interviews with authors" we interview a very special authoress, Mistress Renata...Then tomorrow night...He is moderator on the boards and the creator of one of the longest running squadron round robins, Talon Squad Leader

[End music]

We now return you to your original program...

Kit

21. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    evilness double post...

22. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    Yay! BlindMan was interviewed!!! :)
    He's cool...
    just thought I'd say that...
    God bless!
    *relurks herself until other people are interviewed*
    <3-Moose

23. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    [Loud sounds of whistling, cheering and applause]

Ladies and Gentlemen, tonight I present to you a writer of exceptional quality. She has been writing fan fiction since she was a young girl, and has brought to you wonderful stories such as "Special Effects [Trent goes to Hollywood]", "A force to be reckoned with" and "Bound to happen". She is the creator of the lovely duo Rendell Trent and Arwen-dai Istarri. That's right Ladies and Gentlemen, tonight for your enjoyment I bring to you one of the most talented authors the JC board has seen...

Mistress Renata!!!

Mistress Renata, could you give us a bit of background information on yourself?

I grew up in an extremely small town in New England, came to DC to do graduate school, and I?ve been here ever since, doing research for a non-profit organization. I?m in my mid-30s, not married, no kids, which gives me more time for writing than some. I love ghost stories, autumn, afternoon tea, traveling, cats, and trying new recipes (and am a perpetual dieter). I dislike driving, people who manipulate other people, practical jokes, and playing any sport involving balls that fly through the air.

What drew you to Star Wars?

Initially, I didn?t want to see the movie. I was 11 and thought that a war movie without horses would be stupid. I was outvoted by the rest of my family, and when we got to the theater (late) the only seats left were in the VERY FRONT ROW. Darth Vader was literally thirty feet tall. [face_shocked]It completely blew me away, and I began making up Star Wars stories immediately afterwards.
    The adventure, I think, is what appealed to me; the idea that a boring person leading a boring life could suddenly get swept up into a wonderful, romantic adventure and save the world. Now that I?m older, I still like to believe that an adventure is just around the corner. It hasn?t found me yet, though. Not quite.

When did you first become interested in writing?

My mother has the first story I wrote, from when I was in 1st grade, ?The Mystery of Mr. Pickle?s Castle!? I could read when I started kindergarten, and I suppose I was always ready to write stories of my own. I know I loved making up plays and acting them out. So I guess telling stories in one form or another has been with me from the beginning.

I?m a voracious reader of fiction & non-fiction. I love mysteries, cookbooks and histories best, and am waiting impatiently for JK Rowling to give us her next Harry Potter book. My favorite is still ?Prisoner of Azkaban.?

Do you have any passions besides writing?

I was an art major, so anything artistic. I love costuming, and studied costume design until I figured out that I?d have to live in New York or Los Angeles. I gave that up, and regret it now. But I joined the Society for Creative Anachronisms, so I have an outlet for it and for my artwork.

My other real passion is history, social history of almost any continent and any era. The day to day lives of people living a hundred or a thousand years ago fascinate me, what they ate, what they wore, how they kept house, etc. I love to see the connections between civilizations, and sometimes I run across something that reinforces my belief in a common thread of humanity. I guess people just interest me.

What made you interested in fan fiction and particularly in writing for Star Wars?

When I was in 8th grade, a friend of mine started writing fanfiction and I joined her. It was more fun than French class. We didn?t know it was common, we didn?t know it had a name, we certainly had no idea anyone else did it (this was a long, LONG time ago, before the Internet!). We wrote Star Trek, Star Wars, V, Zorro, the Olympics, Ancient Greece, anything that interested us. Always centered around original characters, with canon characters in the background. I continued to write fanfic for my friends in college (Dr. Who, and Sherlock Holmes, mostly), since it was the only way to stay awake in Art History class. There was a long dry sp

24. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Here, I must apologise to Mistress Renata, I just worked out that there are only 14 questions in her interview (rather then the normal 15).

I'm really, really sorry~!!! [face_blush] :(

Kit

25. HaiGan

Nov 7, 2000
    Yay! Renata's interview's up! I've been waiting for that one.

This time it was my turn to find myself nodding a lot. The remark about people-watching was a particularly good one. People-watching and people-listening, recommended activities for any author. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.