main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Interviews with an author ~ IMPORTANT QUESTION~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kit' , Jul 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marie_Kenobi

Marie_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2002
    Hey Kit'! I haven't been around in a while, but I just wanted to tell you that you're still doing a great job with this! The questions are great and I love reading the tips from the authors and what they find to be their favorite thing from feedback.

I can't wait for the next one! :D :D

--Marie K.

2. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    If I only had more time to read some of the stories written by the authors. [face_plain] This thread offers great to get insight into how different authors approach writing.

What an extraordinary job you have done here, Kit! I am in awe.

3. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Wow. Kit this is a great idea. The only bad thing is now I have a lot more stories to read... ;) :D

4. excalibur2358

excalibur2358 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2000
    Arna!!! Wahoo!! Wow, brings back memories. I remember when she was just starting out on the boards- we both were. :) And her writing style has and will continue to go straight through the roof. Arna was one of my first board buddies and I'm so proud to see her become such a big name in the Forum. :) Great job on the interview Kit!

excal the fortress protector

5. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    Once again, I'd like to thank Kit so much for taking the time to interview me...and wow, that opening is horribly flattering... I'm stunned silly! *blushes* I'm glad to always talk about writing, and my fics, and as the question about the future of the JCC proves..I started a new story right after the interview I didn't even mention!

Oh excal, I'm always happy to see you, it has been quite a while, old pal. :) Me? Big name? You're a horrible horrible egg, excal, thanks so much. ;)

I can't wait to see some of the upcoming interviews, my reading list keeps growing!

6. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Thank you Kit'. It was an honor to be interviewed. I've been enjoying all the interviews. You're doing great. :)

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    :D Yeah Arna!

Awesome job as usual, Kit. ;)

8. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Hey all

Thanks for the praise *blushes again*

I have to welcome TSL to the interview team. He graciously offered his services, an act for which I am eternally grateful! :)

Here are the stats:

People interviewed: 15

People nominated: 26

Number of guys nominated:6

Number of girls nominated: 20

Questions asked so far: 225

Most nominated: Kithera Rinani
    (Yeah thanks guys :p)

Number of fanfictions skimmed: 22

Number of interviewers: 2 (TSL and I!)

Hugs to all
    Kit

9. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Here are some funs stats:

Jars of Nutella finished: 2
    Ham Sandwiches consumed: 14
    2L bottle of Cola drunk: 2
    Number of time Kit' has sworn or thrown her keyboard: 36
    Number of keys now broken on keyboard: 1

Personal satisfaction and delight: Priceless

:p

Sorry, couldn't help that last line! :)

Hugs
    Kithera

10. Talon Squad Leader

Talon Squad Leader Former Manager star 5

Dec 22, 1999
    Funny, those ham sandwich stats don't include the ones I ate. (30) ;)

11. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    That's a lot of Ham Sandwiches!!!!

:D

Here are the list of people nominated and interviewed and so forth.

People interviewed:

Jane Jinn
    HaiGan
    Lisse
    Jemmiah
    Jedi Galadriel
    Blindman
    Mistress Renata
    Talon Squad Leader
    Rebel Mom
    Amidala_Skywalker
    ArnaKyle
    Mcily_Nochi
    red_rose_knight
    Melyanna
    Julie
    Herman Snerd
    Healer Leona
    Derisa Ollamhin
    Jeff42

List of authors who have been interviewed, but the interviews haven't been posted yet

Calamity Jinn
    Whiskey in the Jar Jar
    Cynical 21
    Casper Knightshade
    Darth_Fruitcake
    Princess-sari
    Val solo

List of authors who have been nominated and have replied to the request for an interview, but haven't been interviewed yet:

Kit' *
    Ty-gon Jinn

List of authors who have been nominated and have not yet replied to the request for an interview:

Sara Kenobi
    Qwi-Xux
    Darth Tim
    Lilith
    excalibur2358
    Mouse2
    Grand Admiral Jaxx
    JediKnight-Obi-Wan
    Rokangus
    Padawan_Di-lee
    Jedi_Alman

If you have any questions that you would like to see any of these people answer then please PM me :)

* Note: If you have any questions that relate to either Herman or Kit' please send them to Talon Squad Leader

12. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    [Sound of cheers and applause]

Ladies and Gentlemen, tonight I have the honor of presenting to you a writer of exceptional ability. This young lady, is a writer of he highest quality, her stories have a way of drawing readers in until they fall under her spell. She has brought to you such beautiful stories as "The Book of Paths" series and "Never alone. So without another word, let me introduce to you...

red_rose_knight

Red Rose Knight, could you please give us some background information about yourself?

I am hopelessly stranded in the Midwest (not that I would have it any other way). Tried to get a degree in fine arts but unless you are dead you can?t live on an artist?s wage. Switched to graphic design and have been working professionally for the last few years.

Between work and family and friends, I suffer from a writing obsession and would go crazy if I couldn?t spend some part of the day just writing. I keep promising myself that I am going to spend more time working on my original stories but that has yet to happen. Recently I have returned to my art and have gone from the oil paintings to ink illustrations.

How did you find out about the Jedi Council fan fiction boards in the first place?

Most of my fiction reading was at other sites but I lurked in the PSA for a long time. Then one day I was bored and ventured over into the fan fiction boards and have been hanging around ever since.

What was your first Star Wars experience?

My Grandmother took me to see ROTJ because she thought the Ewoks were cute. She almost took me home during the Jabba?s palace scenes and still complains that it was the most awful movie she has ever seen.

When did first start writing and what was your first story about?

In third grade, the weekly spelling list was on a worksheet with some silly picture on it. We had to write a little story about the picture using all the words in it. I remember begging the teacher to tell me how to use quotations because I had seen it in books. It was a little story about some of my classmates discovering this silly looking snake with a ring around one eye and they were frightened of it.

Do you feel that any particular published author has influenced your writing?

Just about every thing I have read influences my writing in some way. I have always been a great fan of the Arthurian legend and Alexandre Dumas? ?The Three Musketeers? and its sequels. Since I would be a disaster at writing either (and Derisa is all ready writing a fabulous Arthur meets SW fic that I would read without the SW part) I just try to incorporate elements of what I enjoy about those stories into the mine.

What was the idea that prompted you to write ?Unraveled??

After spending the last several years struggling with an original story and was frustrated because I was afraid that no one would read anything I wrote because the writing style wasn?t like anything I was reading from the bestseller lists. After reading fan fiction for several months and seeing how fast the board moved I decided it was time to lay my manuscript to the side and try something different.

It began as a disjointed JA era idea about a group of visiting dignitaries capturing the Temple and their queen eventually became Thesia. It foundered until the talking walls came into existence and it just took off. I spent more time on it than I have any of my other stories because I was so nervous about posting it. I had not let anyone read anything I had written in years so it was a new experience.

Many of your stories either focus on Qui-gon being a ?good guy? or a ?bad guy?, which is your favourite ?type? of Qui-gon to write?

I don?t think I ever wrote Qui-Gon so black and white, just in many shades of gray. I think he is very determined when he believes in something. In ?An Uncertain Path? and its sequels, Qui-Gon believed completely in Anakin, to the detriment of everything (and everyone) else. Not because he was a ?bad guy?,

13. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
  14. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Whiskey in the Jar-Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 17, 2000
    This thread was a stroke of genious, Kit. Only now, there'll be so many more stories for me to read. How will I ever keep up? :_|

15. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    I love these interveiws! But there giving me a REALLY long reading list! ;) I really apreciated reading Arna's I really enjoy her writing.

Kit: I tried to pm you to nominate some people, but they weren't on the list of people nominated. Did you get the pm? Just in case you didn't the two writers I nominated were Sara_Kenobi and val solo. Thanks, :)

Princess

16. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    [Cue music]

Ladies and Gentlemen, tonight may I have the pleasure of introducing to you one of the boards best writers. :) Her stories have been incredibly well recieved across the fan fiction community due to her incredable way of bringing both characters and scenes to life. She is the master of mush. She is...

Melyanna

[Sound of cheering and applause]

Melyanna, can you give us some background information on yourself?

I was born and raised a Southern belle to the core, but four years ago I was transplanted to Chicago when my dad was transferred up here. Naturally I fell in love with this city, but I still miss the South - except for the heat, of course. ;) I spent the last school year as a vocal performance major at the University of Illinois, looking at a career in opera, but after an experience which can only be characterized as a journey of self-discovery, I realized that music was not my calling in life. My current plan is to get a degree in English and pursue a career in book publishing.

As for hobbies and interests, music has always been one of my passions. I'm a dramatic soprano, and I also play the French horn, trumpet, and a little piano. I've been meaning to learn the acoustic guitar sometime in the near future, so I may pick that up this fall. I do a little composition here and there, though lately that's been confined to people asking me to arrange preexisting melodies. I'm very active within my church, I try to spend as much time as I can with my parents and brother, and I still try to help out with things at my high school occasionally, especially in the music department. I read extensively, and I write almost as much as I read. And as many people may have noticed through certain male original characters of mine, yes, I have a thing for tenors - guitarists, too, which is probably why I want to learn the guitar. ;)

What was your best Star Wars experience?

I was thirteen, almost fourteen, when the Special Edition of A New Hope was released. I saw it opening weekend - in fact, my mom and I went to the theatre in Montgomery, Alabama, where we were living at the time, at eight in the morning and waited for three hours to get tickets for our family. We were lucky that we got there when we did; all the tickets for all the showings were sold out about ten minutes after we got our tickets. Being in the theatre that night was amazing - ironically, about fifty people from my church had all gotten tickets for that showing, so I knew a lot of people at the theatre, and we were all crammed into that lobby waiting for the staff to let us into the theatre. Then I ended up with the four-year-old daughter of a friend of ours sitting in my lap through the entire movie because she couldn't see over the head of the person in front of her. Everyone had a lot of fun that night, and it was really the first time I had any kind of "community" experience with Star Wars. From that point on, I was hooked.

What was your worst Star Wars experience?

Well, I used to hate Star Wars. *ducks flying objects* My brother has loved Star Wars since before I was born (he even has most of the original action figures), and I, being the typical little sister, despised anything he liked. Then one Christmas, in a very long car ride from Oklahoma to Alabama, I had nothing to read, so my brother handed me Timothy Zahn's Specter of the Past. I devoured the book, and I was horrified to realize that I had to admit to my brother that he'd been right all these years, that Star Wars really was cool.

How did you first become involved in writing Star Wars Fan Fiction?

I was probably about sixteen or seventeen when I started writing fan fiction - at the time, I didn't even know there was such a thing as fan fiction. I was just writing for fun. Then last summer my brother showed me something on theforce.net, and I rummaged around the site and found the Jedi Council Forums. A few days later, I found fan fiction, and I was immediately addicted.

What was your first

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Kit, Again I must thank you for this thread!! I've been discovering some incredible fanfic I seemed to have missed along the way. Of course, you may also feel my daughter's hateful glare on you. The last couple days in answer to her question of "Mom, when will you be off??" she's heard alot "Just let me finish this story." becuase I've made a point of clinking on some of the links you've included!!

I can't believe I've missed such fabulous stories by such talented writers!!!

18. PeterTutham27

PeterTutham27 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2001
    WOAH! I keep forgetting that Kit is actually responsible and updates regularly!

So, this is to congratulate all those I've missed, notably Em, master, and Mel! WOOHOO! I LOVE YOU GUYS!

19. Moogle

Moogle Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2002
    It's interesting to see how not everybody has been a fan of SW since they were very young. I guess I always assume that about people, since that's how I was...

By the by...

And as many people may have noticed through certain male original characters of mine, yes, I have a thing for tenors

Why is it that bass singers get no love? We're obviously far more manly than those high-singing tenor chaps. ;)

-Moogle
    Just curious

20. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    Mel hated Star Wars? :eek: ;)

Great interview.

21. PeterTutham27

PeterTutham27 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2001
    Hey, us tenors are the real men! It takes some serious stones to hit them high notes!

22. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    And guitarists, well, we're good with our hands...LOL

-Tim

23. val solo

val solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 22, 2000
    This is an awesome thread! Just like some others have said, I have a long list of stories to read now... not a bad thing, though. ;)

24. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    "Hey, us tenors are the real men! It takes some serious stones to hit them high notes!"

are you thinking of alto or soprano?
    does this mean that someone who plays guitar and sings tenor is even more of a real man?

:D

nice interview.
    i'll have to go check out some stories when i get a chance.

25. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Great job, Kit!

Mely, he he he... you're right about one thing. Those AIM chats are pretty unusual... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.