main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Interviews with Authors version 4.0 - interview with JediMara77!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by FFAuthorInterviews, Apr 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    This was such a fun interview to do - JS15 was one of my favorite authors (back when I was actually around in Beyond 8-} ). I absolutely love (and miss) her writing.

2. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Note to readers: If there's someone you want to see interviewed or you want to do interviews, please PM me!!

Rose_Skywalker interviewed by NYCitygurl

She's not aruond much anymore, but she's a Beyond classic, especially when it comes to J/Z. Please welcome Rose_Skywalker!

Let?s start off with the basics: tell us a little about yourself.

I'm not really sure what to say. I'm a college graduate with my degree in History and a minor in English. I'm the oldest of many siblings. I love rock music especially Fallout Boy and All-American Rejects. I love Broadway musicals; my favorites are Thoroughly Modern Millie, Legally Blonde, Hairspray and Wicked. I read everything I can get my hands on. I love Shanna Swendson?s Enchanted Inc. Series, anything by Jane Austen and the Harry Potter series. I work two jobs and I love to dance anywhere and everywhere and in anything.

How did you get into Star Wars?

I watched the movie when I was kid. I must have been 7 or 8, and I just fell in love with it. It's got everything, action, adventure, a love story, a princess, a hero, a villain and an old wise man. I mean it really is an epic myth, in the classical structure of one.

How did you get into fanfic and TF.N? Do you write anywhere else? Do you write or plan on writing original fiction?

Somewhere around Attack of the Clones, I started Reading the New Jedi Order books. I had read the old YJK books when I was a preteen, and had really fallen in love with them. With the delay of new books for sometimes months I needed something to read. I sort of stumbled upon fanfiction one day not really knowing what it was. After months of reading some really great fiction on this site, I got a plot bunny in my head and ran with it. That particular story was never finished, but it spawned my series Between Love and Hate.

I do write my own original fiction. I finished the first 2 chapter of my novel not to long ago, and I'm currently taking a short break while I apply to graduate school. But rest assured I?m going to finish that novel someday and send it to publishers, because if you don't try you'll never know if your good enough. Even with failure, you learn something.

If you had to choose . . . Jaina or Zekk? Why? What draws you to those two characters?

That?s hard, I love both the characters for very different reasons. Zekk is really underplayed in a lot of the books and his history with Jaina was forgotten in the New Jedi Order. He's got a lot of potential to play around with. He's got no family; he had a brush with the darkside; he's an awesome pilot. But I would have to choose Jaina. She's very much like her father: stubborn, willful, impetuous but she's also very loyal. She's got a lot more of her mother in her than she realizes too. I think exploring her character is a lot of fun, because there isn't too many things I couldn't say Jaina wouldn't do. She's all or nothing.

You?re in the process of writing a trilogy about them called ?Between Love and Hate.? Where did you get the idea? What made you decide to turn it into a trilogy?

The original idea actually came from another persons' fanfic. I was reading Soulwalker's fic Stolen Chance, which was about Jacen kidnapping Tenel Ka ala courtship of princess Leia. When I thought about it, Jacen didn't seem like the type but Jaina did. That became the plot of What's a Girl to Do. Jaina realizes she's in love with Zekk and he's done being jerked around by her so she kidnaps him. Everything else in that story was an after thought to that. I also wanted to play around with Tahiri's character because I had never read the JJK books, and I liked her in the NJO. What ended up happening with Tahiri's character ended up being made up as it went along and now she's the central character in my stories.

I don't think I ever conscientiously decide to make it a trilogy. When I finished What's a Girl to Do readers wanted more and I had left a lot of room to play around

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Great interview, there. :) Rose is a great author. I wish I was half as good as she.

4. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    This interview took a while since we both got busy, but it was so much fun - Rose has been around for a while, and it was great getting to know someone I didn't know well before. I just wish she was around like she used to be :(

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    jmsbndgrl interviewed by NYCitygurl

Famous for her PT works, though she's not around as much anymore - give it up for jmsbndgrl!

To start off, can you tell me a little about yourself?

I was a military brat when I was younger. My dad was in the military. Today, I'm an accountant by day from upstate NY. So I live in a world of math and numbers. However, when I get home, I like to step away from all of that, whether that is spending time with friends and family, watching TV, watching a movie, reading a book, or writing something.

Prior to 2005, the writing would not have been on my list of hobbies, I probably would have laughed at anyone who even suggested I should write something. I might enjoy reading for leisure, but English was my least favorite topic while I was at school. I considered myself strictly a math and science person and I tended to shy away from anything "creative." It's funny how things change. I wrote a piece of fanfiction as a joke one day while I was in grad school and found a creative outlet I had not realized I needed. Thirty two stories of fanfiction later, I'm now working on an original novel.

But aside from the writing, I'm a collector or various things, whether its my Star Wars stuff, Disney Snowglobes, or my Barbie Collection (I have 59 dolls, still in their boxes). Might be silly to some people, but I like my collections.

What was that first piece of fanfic?

It was an extremely AU Star Wars Prequel piece called ?More to Life.? In it Padme is the workaholic Senator and Anakin is the workaholic Jedi Knight. The Jedi Council is actually more lax about the code in the story and are getting tired of Anakin and his strict adherence to the code and Padme?s handmaidens are tired of Padme for her all work and no play attitude. So both parties get together and strand Padme and Anakin on Hoth with the hopes that they will learn to lighten up and mush ensues.

Overall I would say I hate that story, because it is cheesy and way out of character. Looking back on that story always makes me laugh because I think it is completely ridiculous. However at the same time, I wrote it as a joke, so the complete ridiculous plot line did have a purpose.

Regardless of my dislike of the story, I have never deleted it from the net since I first posted it. It was a starting point for me no matter how crazy it was and for that reason alone, I have a bit of a sentimental attachment to it. I remember always saying that would be my first and last piece of fanfiction ever, I broke that vow a week later when I started my first vignette, ?To My Child,? and my first epic ?The Emperor?s Gift, The Emperor?s Curse.?

What made you decide to break your vow and write "To My Child"?

There were a few reasons for writing a second story. First, I had the plot bunny for it. I?ve found that when I have an idea in my head, it will tend to nag me until I tell the story, whether it?s just in my head or getting it down on paper. Before ?More to Life,? I would have worked through an idea like that in my head, but once I got the writing bug, my computer and I tended to spend more time with each other. I?ve come to the conclusion that plot bunnies are rabid.

Second reason was probably my reaction to ?More to Life.? I felt I could have done better since it was so out of control, in my opinion. I was compelled to write something else, to essentially prove that.

And third, despite my feelings about ?More to Life,? I did enjoy the overall writing process. It was so far away from what I was doing on a regular basis, that it was fun, and I still find it fun to this day. Hence, why I?m still writing.

Tell us a little about ?The Emperor?s Gift, The Emperor?s Curse.?

?The Emperor?s Gift, The Emperor?s Curse,? was my first foray in writing epics. It?s an AU within the Saga. I?m definitely a Saga person, everything Star Wars related I have written has been in the Saga. In the story the Republic has fallen and Sidious is trying to stop the few pockets o

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I really enjoyed talking with jmsbndgrl. I read for NSWFF stories, but it was nice to get to know her a bit more by talking about her other work. She's an awesome author!!

7. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Definitely agree with you as someone who's had lunch with Breezy. :) I came into this thread thinking "I want to find someone new to read" and now I have a few options. Great stuff!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. jmsbndgrl

jmsbndgrl Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2004
    I would like to take a moment to thank NYCitygurl for taking the time out of her busy schedule to interview me. I know things were crazy somedays. Regardless though I had fun with the interview. :)

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Many thanks to Ceillean for interviewing Jade_eyes!!

She?s the inventor of the cutest word ever: squggles. Jade_Eyes has made herself known around the boards as a great author of all that is mush. If you like Mara and Luke together, you?ll love her stories. If you adore Jag and Jaina, you?ll love her stories. If you love Nyota and Spock ? I guarantee you?ll start to squee.

I?m happy to have been given the opportunity to interview Jade_Eyes. Not only is she a gifted writer but a wonderful friend as well.

Can you give us some background information about yourself?

Hello all! I live in Central Florida now. I always lived in the South--was born in Charleston, grew up and went to school in Texas. I was in the mental health/counseling field until recently. Now I do medical transcription from home. I have an older brother and two nieces; he lives in Charlotte, NC and is a director of a major convention center/entertainment center there. My dad is deceased for three years; Mom's still got it going on LOL I'm visually impaired -- so I use a screen reader. So when it comes to erm, the juicier details about Jagster and Spock, baby, I have a whole different avenue for ... using my imagination LOL

How did you come by liking Star Wars as well as Star Trek?

Star Wars ? I loved it since ANH came out. Woohoo! Leia was the bomb in that movie! When ESB came out, H&L captured my attention. All those nummy snarky lines. Then ROTJ ? so cool! Luke in Jedi mode is awesome! Then that took a looooong hiatus till HTTE by Zahn. Then I fell in love with Mara and wanted her for Luke. I had an ack! Callista experience. Quite a pothole on the road to destiny wouldn?t you say?

Trek ? I watched the TOS reruns and loved the whole friendship dynamics going on plus the whole Vulcan thing was just too delicious! ? now it?s worse LOL I love TNG also?the Will/Troi thing was smoking! Now since the latest Trek 2009 movie, best thing since creation IMHO ? Nyota and Spock ? raptures! I don?t think I could read a Trek Prime novel without wanting her to jump his bones or something

Has writing always been a hobby of yours? What does writing mean to you?

Writing has only recently become a hobby. Reading has always been a hobby. I read voraciously. Writing is a way to express and to share the love I have for these characters in SW and Trekdom with fellow fans and to give back some of what I?ve received from the stellar authors I?ve been reading ? nummy mush, loads of laughs, and moving insightful moments. Writing is a fun way to unwind, as relaxing to me as listening to smooth jazz.

How long have you been writing fanfiction? How did you start? Are there any other fandoms besides Star Wars and Star Trek that you enjoy writing?

I've been writing fanfiction since 03/2009. I started writing because I wanted to read more mush and a Monday Mush Mania challenge was coming up. I took to writing right off and participated in other challenges -- such as the MASH and Disney Roulettes. Trek and SW are the only fandoms I write for.

If I?m not mistaken, all of your stories are romantic stories. What do you like about writing mush?

I love the warm fuzzies I get from reading mush so I love to give them to my readers. I love to Squee! over the sweet tenderness, over the happiness the characters are feeling, -- I care a lot for the characters and feel they deserve love and happiness. i love writing the process of finding and discovering and deepening the relationship from friendship into soulmate-hood.

I do believe that all relationships go through growing pains and angsty-ness but there's enough of that in RL -- and in profic so I like to provide a break from all that.

I absolutely adore the word Squee. You have no idea how often it?s made me laugh. How did you come up with it?

I was reading the amazing Chasing Dreams by JadeLotus and Luke and Mara had a nummy make up scene on their terrace and another reader came up with the word SQUEE! I seized it and made it min

10. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    sweet getting to know you better Jade_eyes and love all your mushy stories.[:D][face_dancing]

11. Lady_Tahiri

Lady_Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2001
    Great interview with Jade_eyes! =D= Squee for mush. [face_love]

And I want to say thank you Nat for running this thread. I've just finished zipping through the three previous reincarnations of it, and it's nice to get to know authors whose work I've seen around.

12. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Great interview, Jade_eyes! Love your invented words. :)

13. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    lovely loook into one of our favorites!!!! :D

14. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    It's so great to learn more about you, JE! The woman behind the squees! You are such a supportive reader and commenter and that's carrying over into your stories--you can feel the love you have for the characters!

As for dinner together--wouldn't that be a hoot?? I'd love it! :D

[:D]

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Great interview JE and Ceillean! =D=

16. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Jade, awesome to see an interview from you! I shall have to read more of your writing, definitely.

17. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Lovely interview and so nice to learn more about you Jade-eyes!!!

So very, very true!!! [:D]

18. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Love this interview. :) I have to read more of your fics, Jade_eyes. Mush is always a good thing, especially yours. :D

19. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Love your interview Jade_eyes and most definitely Nyota and Spock.

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks ever so to Nat and Ceillean for such a fun interview! I enjoyed it muchly!

[face_love]

[:D]

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Such an awesome interview with the Mush Queen!! Thanks, Ceillean and Jade_eyes!! [:D]

22. Kailene

Kailene Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2009
    Just read your interview, Jade_eyes. [face_love] It was great to get to know a little more about the person whose helped me out so much. [:D]

Can't wait for more mush from you!

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Kailene! :* It was fun helping and melting! [face_dancing]

I'm going to play with some more bunnies that are starting to hopabout now.

24. FFAuthorInterviews

FFAuthorInterviews Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2006
    After a little break, the thread is now up and running again.

jadesabre75 interviewed by Ceillean

A very talented writer, [b]jadesabre75[/b] has made quite the impression with her wonderful stories revolving around our favorite characters. If you want humor, you?d definitely be doing yourself a favor to take a good look at her stories because I swear they?ll make you laugh.

If you want romance coupled with great action, her stories will deliver.

It was great fun doing this interview with her so sit back and enjoy.

[b]How about we start with you telling us a bit about yourself. [/b]

About myself huh? Well....I'm a single mom of an 11 year old geek in training. I live a little south of St. Louis, Missouri in the home that I grew up in. My town is big but still small enough that it has a small town feel. We still have a parade down the main street every year and it's a pretty good bet your kid goes to school with the kid of someone you grew up with. I'm 34 years old going on 12. It makes life much more interesting that way.

Let's see...I love to read and always have a book on me. Whether it's for my book club or just for enjoyment. I prefer to read science fiction or action books but I will dabble in smut occasionally. Historical smut is my favorite.

I'm a movie freak! Jake and I frequent the movies with alarming regularity. We watch mostly action or sci-fi movies but there is an occasional kid movie thrown in there. I don't do chick flicks for the most part. Unless Hugh Jackman is in it, then I'm all over it!

Halloween is my favorite holiday! I mean what other day can you dress like a freak and get free candy for it! Sign me up!

I am a devoted child of the 80's. The music and cartoons of that era are my favorites! I've made it a point to pass on as much of that sickness to my son as possible. We own all the lion Voltron DVD's and all of the Galaxy Ranger ones as well. Of course some of the best movies are from that era as well. Real Genius, Back to the Future, Indiana Jones! The list goes on and on...

[b]So, ever dress up as a Jedi on Halloween?[/b]

You know, I've never dressed up as a Star Wars character for Halloween. That's kinda scary. lol Jake has though. He's been a Clone Trooper and Darth Vader. There are more lightsabers in our house than living things. And I'm including plants in that. Only one is mine.

[b]How did you get into Star Wars? [/b]

It's funny because I was never really given a choice. It's just always been there. My mom took me to see New Hope when I was two at the movie theater. Granted I don't remember any of it since I was so young. My first cognizant memory of it was playing with someone else's SW toys at the baby sitter's. It was after Empire Strikes Back came out. I was playing with the Cloud City model where Luke and Vader do battle. Over the years my mom took me to see the other movies as well. I've seen all the SW movies in the theater and I definitely consider that a badge of honor in my geekiness.

I didn't get into the expanded universe until I moved back home about 11 years ago. I'm not even sure why or how but I picked up a book and just started reading. I've read most of the books except for the Young Jedi series (I think that's what it's called) and the Han Solo and Lando-centric books.

It will be the same way with Jake as far as being introduced to the SW universe. It's just always been there for him and he doesn't know any different. In fact he's watching the original series right now. I think my favorite memory so far...well there's two really. The first one is of a seven year old Jake and I having a discussion on the family history of the Skywalker's. The other was a few years ago. As I said before we have multiple lightsabers in our house and Jake was on a SW kick at the time. It was about 10:30 at night when I heard the front door open. I jumped up to see what was going on and there stood Jake in his underwear, door wide open and lightsaber poised at the ready. I think I nearly peed my pants when I realized he was asleep for the m

25. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    Thrilled to see author interviews are back!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.