main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Into the Black - a Star Wars/Serenity fic (OT) - Update 02/03

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Miana Kenobi, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Title: Into the Black
    Author: Miana Kenobi
    Timeframe: OT - Begins at ANH/halfway through the movie Serenity.
    Characters: Han, Leia, Luke, Firefly characters
    Genre: Action, humor, crossover
    Keywords: Firefly, OT
    Summary: The crew of the Firefly-class transport Serenity has no love for the Alliance. However, they stumble across an Alliance far different than the one they know.
    Notes: I don't own Star Wars or Firefly. If I did, I would be rich. And yes, I know I'm insane.

Mucho thanks to Nicky for her help with ideas, and to CodeName_Targeter for betaing! [:D]

Blackness.

River Tam's eyes snapped open. She found herself in a grey hallway. She took a step forward, her bare feet hitting the cold metal. Everything about this place seemed cold. The ground, the air, the very feel of the place was icy.

Black.

She spun around, the shadow disappearing from her mind. It was close, whatever it was.

Breathing.

She heard the breathing come from behind her, slowly turning to find herself face to face with a figure in black. Not a single patch of skin was visible. His entire body was covered in black material.

Breathing.

He breathed in and out with a mechanical hiss, sending a shudder down River's spine.

"Join me," he rasped, extending a black-gloved hand to her. "I can rule with you by my side."

River felt herself moving forward, taking his hand. Images flashed through her mind at lightning speed. A dirt-covered planet. A tall man with long hair and a beard. A small green man with large ears. A beautiful woman. A volcano planet. A man with short hair and a beard. A man with a disfigured face. Wires.

It wasn't real. He wasn't real. His hand was not real.

With a gasp, River opened her eyes. He was coming. The man in black was coming.

Malcolm Reynolds was not a man to worry.

He and his crew aboard the Firefly-class transport Serenity were holding their breaths with anticipation as they headed towards the opening of space that was known Reaver territory. Ever since leaving Beaumonde, his little fugitive River had made it her goal to find a mysterious planet called Miranda. Once the crew had learned that the planet actually existed, and after finding Haven demolished, they had set course for the mystery planet and waited anxiously for Reaver territory.

Wash had announced when they were drawing near to Reaver space. The crew huddled together in the cockpit as they approached. Stories that seemed more fictional than true were all that was told about Reaver space. Creatures of the deep that fed on human flesh and killed for their own pleasure; they were monsters. Anxiety gathered in the minds of the crew as they expected to find a graveyard of ships and bodies, or horrors beyond their worst nightmares. Instead, they found....

Nothing.

Mal was worried.

In the distance, a beautiful blue and green planet sat at rest. They had expected to find it swarmed by Reaver ships. Instead, they found nothing. No ships, no debris, no bodies floating through space.

Nothing.

Kaylee Frye was the first to break the silence. "Cap'n, I thought..."

"I know, I know," Mal said. He eyed his pilot. "Wash?"

Hoban Washburne checked various screen and monitors. "Nothing. No ships, signs of life..." He looked up at his wife. "I thought this was supposed to be Reaver territory.

"That was the general thought," Zoe said, a perplexed visage donning her face. She eyed Mal. "Sir?"

"Well, wherever they are, we don't want them to come back any time too soon," Mal said. "Let's check out this planet and get it over with."

Kaylee's eyes opened wider. "Could they be on planet?"

Mal shook his head. "Not likely. They like to stay in space to catch new victims."

"Well yeah, but what if they are on planet?" Jayne Cobb spoke up.

"Then we do our best to avo

2. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Alderaan is Miranda.... Have I mentioned how insane you are, Mi? :p

Love the dreams that River's having of Vader. That must be real pleasant to have.

*hugs Wash with his uber awesome chinese curses*

I love the part where the crew's talking about the Death Star; it's almost a parallell to the conversation another certain crew have. :p

Write more, you crazy girl. :p

3. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Ooh lovely start! I have no idea about Serenity...but I like the "man in black is coming..." and I think I finally know where Inara got her screenname. ;)

Awesome work babe!

Need.More.NOW!!!

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    To quote you, "Holy mother of god and all her wacky nephews."

5. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    :eek: You mean you haven't seen Serenity or Firefly?

Oh dear. Ish, Mia, Dana...we've got a local here who hasn't seen Firefly!

We've got to fix this.

6. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I'm trying to convert her, I am! :p

7. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Don't worry, we're going to have an Intervention.

8. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    You captured the Firefly characters... DEAD on! I love the Alderaan business.. I just can't wait for the Falcon. :p

9. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006

I had a nice hearty laugh at Mal's words. Bravo! [face_laugh]

10. Yodan

Yodan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2005
    Aint that the gods honest truth! :p

Great start! =D=

11. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Oh, GOD.

[Mal]Woman, you are completely off your nut![/Mal]

Love the fic, though. Please continue. :D

(Gorrammit, everybody's beating me to Firefly fic ideas... :()

12. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Miana, a most lovely piece of crossover! :D :D You've an excellent handle on the Firefly characters and that Miranda would be Alderaan???? WOW!!! Must I say how much I love this?? Please, if you do it, PM me whenever there's an update? [fasce_praying]

Luney, you must see the series and the movie! Good stuff!!!

13. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I KNEW Leona would beat me over here! ;)

A beautiful and interesting start! I can't wait for more! :D

=D=

14. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    OMG OMG w00t you posted!!! :eek: [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

Yeah, that was dignified. :p

*uberglomp* :D

15. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    A PM for updates? Sure. Does anyone else want an update PM as well?

And I'm glad you guys like it! :D

16. Siaynoqsbride

Siaynoqsbride Jedi Master star 4

May 17, 2005
    I would love a PM for updates! :)

This is wonderful so far! Wonderful integration of the two universes, and I liked River's dreams about Vader. Very cool, can't wait for more!

17. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Mi, what a great start. I'm another who knows nothing of Firefly/Serenity though I do plan on renting it when I can.

18. LadyLunas

LadyLunas Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 31, 2005
    Oh, this is an interesting start. I love how you've handled all the Firefly characters. They certainly ring true to the show.

I do have to grin at the idea of Mal and Han meeting each other. That is going to happen, I presume? Speaking of character interactions, how would Luke and Jayne get along? Or even Leia and Jayne? Or Jayne and Obi-Wan? He has enough problems with River. How would he react to someone with very similair powers and even more exotic ones? Obviously, this is one part of the story to which I'm looking forward.

Pity they had to witness Alderaan. So is Miranda really Alderaan or did they somehow cross into the SW verse? If Alderaan was Miranda, hmm. How would that work. It's a core world. The Firefly verse couldn't have existed in such close proximity without the Empire discovering it. Aargh, I'm giving myself a headache. I think I'm reading too much into it, especially on the first post.

Anyway, despite all the rambling, I think you're doing a wonderful job so far. I look forward to reading more.

19. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Ask and ye shall receive!

All righty.

So, boys and girls, I present:

Mi's big story that's full of BS.

So, let's look at this giant uber-awesome map of the SW galaxy that I found.

Shiny Map!

Now then.

Alderaan is here.
    Pic one

Notice the thing I have underlined. :p

So let's play pretend and instead pretend that Alderaan is right HERE:

Pic 2
    That way, it's still a core planet, it's just... rotated. Yeah, rotated. :p

So then, you have this big open space called UNKNOWN REGIONS.
    Pic 3

Miranda is not a core region for the Firefly verse; it's on the outskirts of space as far as they're concerned.

Therefore, because I say so...

Ta Da!

That, ladies and gentlemen, is you BS for the day. :p

;)

20. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    [face_laugh]

Works for me! 8-}

21. Amidolee

Amidolee Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2000
    Miana, I've got this bookmarked now. :) Will read very soon.

22. LadyLunas

LadyLunas Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 31, 2005
    Thanks for the explanation, Miana. :D

The explanation works for me. And the pictures really help explain it. After all, it is a crossover. Some things have to be altered. Even I admit that, canon-junkie that I am. I'm glad that you've put this much thought into this story.

23. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    I love it! Your explanation of how Alderaan is Miranda ("Because I said so") made me laugh out loud. This is a wonderful story, and I'd love to be on the PM list for it.

Like Lunas, I'd like to know how everyone from Firefly is going to react to Jedi powes. I'm more interested in how River and Simon are, though.

This is a wonderful story, and you've a marvelous start.

24. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    CodeName_Targeter: Alderaan is Miranda.... Have I mentioned how insane you are, Mi? Yes. :D I love the part where the crew's talking about the Death Star; it's almost a parallell to the conversation another certain crew have. Hehehe, exactly! Write more, you crazy girl. Yes Ma'am!

padawan lunetta: Ooh lovely start! I have no idea about Serenity...but I like the "man in black is coming..." and I think I finally know where Inara got her screenname. :oops: Go rent it, darling. You won't regret it!

DarthIshtar: To quote you, "Holy mother of god and all her wacky nephews." :D Thanks for reading!

kateydidnt: You mean you haven't seen Serenity or Firefly?
    Oh dear. We've got to fix this.
    By all means, do!

SpiritofEowyn: You captured the Firefly characters... DEAD on! [face_blush] Thank you!

RebelGrrl: I had a nice hearty laugh at Mal's words. Bravo! Hehehe, thanks!!

Yodan: Aint that the gods honest truth! Hehe, indeed! Great start! Thanks!!

Sebulba2179: Oh, GOD. [Mal]Woman, you are completely off your nut![/Mal] :D Love the fic, though. Please continue. Will do!

Healer Leona: Miana, a most lovely piece of crossover! You've an excellent handle on the Firefly characters and that Miranda would be Alderaan???? WOW!!! Must I say how much I love this?? :D Thank you!!

VaderLVR64: A beautiful and interesting start! I can't wait for more! Thank you so much for reading!

ThePariah: OMG OMG w00t you posted!!! Yeah, that was dignified. Hehehe! Nothing's dignified when you're having fun!

Siaynoqsbride: This is wonderful so far! Wonderful integration of the two universes, and I liked River's dreams about Vader. Very cool, can't wait for more! Thank you so much for reading! More will be on the way shortly!

RebelMom: Mi, what a great start. I'm another who knows nothing of Firefly/Serenity though I do plan on renting it when I can. Thanks for reading, and YES! Go rent them! You'll fall in love with them so quickly!

LadyLunas: Oh, this is an interesting start. I love how you've handled all the Firefly characters. They certainly ring true to the show. Thanks!! Anyway, despite all the rambling, I think you're doing a wonderful job so far. I look forward to reading more.. Ramble away! And thanks again!

Independence1776: I love it! Your explanation of how Alderaan is Miranda ("Because I said so") made me laugh out loud. This is a wonderful story, and I'd love to be on the PM list for it. Hehe, thank you, and I shall add you! Like Lunas, I'd like to know how everyone from Firefly is going to react to Jedi powes. I'm more interested in how River and Simon are, though. It'll be interesting, to say the least. ;) This is a wonderful story, and you've a marvelous start. Thank you!!

And thanks to ThePariah for the beta!! [:D]

"Captain?"

Mal repressed the urge to sigh as everyone's eyes were turned on him. His mind ran through scenarios of how to handle the situation. Running was out of the question; with a busted engine, they would be sitting ducks. He was wary to respond; he had no clue if these people were friendlies or otherwise, and he was not going to risk letting people onto his ship.

He remembered too well what happened the last time people had come on board offering "help." He had the scar on his stomach to prove it.

The voice with a sharp accent hailed the ship once more. "Unidentified ship, this is the Imperial starship Hazard. Do you copy?"

"Sir..." Zoe began tentatively.

"I'm thinking," Mal snapped. He eyed the approaching ship, then turned his attention down to Wash. "We can't outrun them?"

"With the number of guns on that ship, I wouldn't want to even try," Kaylee breathed, her eyes wide as she looked over the ap

25. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    *giggles* Mal's totally not allowed to make fun of Inara for being their "ambassador" anymore especially if it just saved their lives. :p

Oye. I have a hunch that there's going to be a mighty large bit of confusion with this whole "Alliance" deal. *crosses fingers* Let's hope Mal doesn't try and sign up to fight the 'Alliance.'

Very nice update, Mi! ^_^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.