main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Into the Black - a Star Wars/Serenity fic (OT) - Update 02/03

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Miana Kenobi, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    I really liked the part from Kaylee's POV. Interesting Vader/River part too.

Wonderful update and thanks for the PM!

2. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    You're back! I thought you had abandoned this story and that I would never find out what happened. But you're back!

Kaylee wasn't sure which had been worse: the sex or the cross-wiring mess he had made on Serenity's engine. That's Kaylee for you.

"She's bleeding. Serenity. She's bleeding and I'm the one who done it to her."
    Simon's hand slid down her shoulder and onto her back. He gently began rubbing it in a soothing circle. "You did what you had to. It'll be over soon, and you can fix it. There's nothing you can't fix on this ship," he added with a small smile.
    Perfect Kaylee and perfect Simon. I love their interaction.

"Shepherd's home," Simon said quietly. I love this line.

For a people who claimed to be good, Kaylee was not exactly sure that naming something "Death Star" would project the ideals of peace and goodness. Right on, Kaylee!

A machine fixing a machine; Kaylee wasn't sure if she was supposed to be amused or somewhat frightened by this. It was her job to work with machines - she had no problem with them. Yet the thought of a machine that could completely think for itself made her wary. She had always treated Serenity like a person, yet to actually see a machine personified just made her uneasy. Oh, I bet it would. But amusement would be a nice response. Though I can see panic coming up sometime soon.

She pitied anyone brave - or stupid - enough to try to go against it. I don't really pity Luke, though everyone else, yes.

Kaylee looked up nervously at Mal. The thought of being left alone was not one she embraced too well. A small bit of relief crept over her when Mal caught her eye then turned to this new officer once more.
    ?Also, I?d like to request that my pilot stays behind to help with the repairs. More hands working on our ship means we can get out of your hair faster.?
    Good Mal!

He had been shocked to feel how strong in the Force she was; she was no Jedi, yet there was no doubt that it flowed through her blood. It was surprising, considering her parents. Uh-oh. At least he still believes the Organas are her parents.

For several days, those eyes haunted his mind. An air of doom lingered with them at the back of his mind; doom for the Empire and doom for himself. In those eyes, he saw such a depth that he had never perceived before. They had youth buried behind layers of hurt and suffering. Wisdom shone through sometimes, but they were mostly vacant. *perks up* Doom for the Empire and the Firefly Alliance?

She was powerful; there was no denying that. Her presence in the Force rivaled his own in terms of strength. A Force sensitive River is a trifle frightening...

Vader knew that he would have to meet this guest. If trained, she could make one deadly opponent. Or, a powerful alley. Vader just hoped that it would be the latter. And the rest of us hope for the former!

Wonderful update! I don't care that it's short and mostly backstory. It's a wonderfully written post. And the story looks to be shaping up mighty interesting.

3. Gardener

Gardener Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2006
    HUZZAH! Miana, so glad to see you up and writing again. Fabulous post! More, please!
    (waiting with bated breath)
    Gardener

4. TigerofRobare

TigerofRobare Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 11, 2006
    This is wunderbar. May I please be PM'd with updates?

5. LadyLunas

LadyLunas Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 31, 2005
    *does the new post dance*

I really liked the Kaylee segment. Her personality really shown, especially with her wry observations. I like that she and Simon were able to make some kind of peace.

Vader, on the other hand, was chilling. But Leia and River really have to meet now. [face_praying]

I can't wait for more.

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    First, thanks for the PM and big old WHOO-HOO!!!! :D :D

Kaylee wasn't sure which had been worse: the sex or the cross-wiring mess he had made on Serenity's engine.
    Ha ha!

I loved seeing this from Kaylee's POV and you did a brilliant job in SImon coming to comfort her. [face_love] [face_love]

How scary that Vader is having visions of River. How much more terrifying a thought of River being trained darkside. [face_worried]

Awesome post Miana.

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Nah, I don't abandon stuff. I just take very, very long vacations from posting. ;)

I don't get home until tomorrow night, but I've already started the next bit and hope to get it done asap. Thanks again for not losing faith in me!

8. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Oooh, an update!!! And a shiny one at that! *does the "I've seen so much death" dance*

A Kaylee-centric post...ahh, how it makes my day. ;) Even at that you've got Simon spot-on. Poor boy...a core-planet doctor shall not know anger, nor hatred, nor love?

Kaylee's reaction to the Death Star was very nicely done. I wonder if she'll be the one to convince the rest of the gang what they're really dealing with.

And River, oh, I love Rive-e-eeerrrrrr.... :D

9. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I've finally seen the movie. This makes sense now.

The Death Star should be pretty crowded now. I can't wait till Han and Mal meet.

10. Kelli_LB

Kelli_LB Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    I just found this gem of a fic this evening and I'm so glad that I did. I love Firefly/Serenity but I've never read a crossover with SW. This is great. As others have said, I loved the scene between Kaylee and Simon. I love her thoughts about knowing a man by seeing how well his ship is taken care of, that was a great part. I wonder if Kaylee will be on the Millenium Falcon, and if she'll measure Han by that same standard.

I can't wait for Mal and Han to meet. If you have a PM list, could you please add me to it. I cannot wait for more.

11. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    *snicker* Given the recent rash of comparisons between Harrison Ford and Nathan Fillion, I'm wondering if Han and Mal will turn out to be distantly related.... ;)

*starts making a brown coat for RebelMom*

12. Exxaciel

Exxaciel Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    Gem of a fic, yes indeed. Beautiful job with the personifications of the Firefly crew. And Vader... great work. Someone did their homework. [:D] A real gem, and I can't wait for the next post. PM me with updates? [face_praying]

13. Exxaciel

Mar 10, 2005
    Miana, come back! :_|

14. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    A force sensitive River IS frightening.[face_worried] But who should be afraid is still up for debate.

15. Gardener

Gardener Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2006
    I'm going into withdrawal again, Miana! I can't take it much longer - the only cure is copious amounts of brownies and I simply can't consume that much sugar (and not drive my roommates crazy, that is).
    Do it for my roomies, Miana!
    Anxiously awaiting your next post (or a pan of brownies),
    gardener

16. JediKage

JediKage Jedi Knight

Jun 14, 2006
    =D= excellent fic [face_peace]

i loved the chapters so far... ROFL i love the confusion going around :D

i agree with some of the others let River kick Imperial ass![face_devil] [face_devil]

btw add me to PM list

17. TnTornado

TnTornado Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2006
    Wow, I can't believe I haven't seen this before!

Serenity (both the tv show and the movie) was really cool, and that you are writting a crossover is awesome!

I love what you have so far, and I agree with RebelMom that I can't wait till Han and Mal meet - they are very much alike!

The only thing I don't like, is what you said in the last post about River being just as strong as Vader - not only do I think this just about impossible, but isn't Luke the only one who is as powerful as Vader, if not more powerful?

Please add me to the PM list - I like what you've got going here!

TnTornado

18. Exxaciel

Mar 10, 2005
    Up. Grrrrr........[face_frustrated]

19. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Sorry about the delay, you guys! I just moved and was without internet for two weeks! I hope this makes up for it!

As nervous as she was, Kaylee was glad that Wash was there with her. He gave one of his reassuring smiles as another man in white armor approached them and beckoned for them to follow. They fell into step behind him, Kaylee noticing that his hands never left his gun. The guns, too, were something Kaylee had been noticing. They looked nothing like any she had ever seen. There appeared to be no bullet magazines, nothing that even hinted that they fired live ammunition. However, Kaylee did not want to annoy the guard enough to find out if the gun was in fact dangerous.

They took something that resembled an elevator ? yet faster and smoother, Wash commented ? down several floors, then followed as the guard exited. From what she had seen so far of the structure, she guessed they were heading to another hanger, judging by the way that the hallway opened up into a long door. It automatically opened for them and they headed in.

Kaylee had indeed guessed right that they were in a hanger; a maintenance one, she figured, by the heavy amount of ships, spare parts, and people present. Kaylee?s heart filled up as they rounded a small eyeball shaped ship and found Serenity parked alongside another small eyeball. Kaylee breathed a sigh of relief as she looked over the ship. Besides their busted engine, the ship looked fine ? well, minus that patchwork she had done on the primary buffer panel. She made a mental note to reprimand Mal for not getting a new one sooner.

The guard came to a halt once they were beside the ship. ?You two are restricted to this hanger. An RD droid will show you where everything is.? His mechanical voice crackled off, then he turned and marched off.

Kaylee eyed Wash warily. ?I don?t like this.?

Wash looked about as comfortable as she was. ?The sooner we patch up the ship, the sooner we can leave.? The two went to the rear of the ship, entering the key code to open the door on the back hatch. ?I?m going to go do a quick system?s check then make sure everything is powered off. Don?t want a system to get fried before we even patch her up.?

Kaylee nodded as Wash headed up to the cockpit, following only until the lounge where she turned to head down into the engine room. She gave a small smile as she rubbed her hand on the ship?s core. ?We?ll get you fixed up, girl,? she said with hope in her voice. She collected a handful of tools then headed back out to the hanger.

The engine had definitely seen better days. Kaylee winced as she fingered the largest hole in the engine. Those pieces of rock debris had definitely taken their toll on the ship. It was fixable though, which was all that Kaylee thought mattered.

?I have never seen this kind of ship before,? a mechanical voice spoke up.

Kaylee spun around quickly and dropped the wrench that was in her hand. Before her stood four feet of metal and wiring with long claw-like limbs and a rectangular head, complete with two glowing yellow eyes. Kaylee did her best to calm her beating heart, let out a small breath of air. ?Gee, sorry. You really startled me there.?

The droid looked apologetic, which startled Kaylee even more. A machine that could talk, think, and apparently had feelings?

?I am sorry. I did not mean to startle you. I am RD-78, programmed for all mechanical repairs.?

Kaylee tried to smile. ?I?m? I?m Kaylee. Kaylee Frye.?

?Kay-lee Kay-lee Frye,? the droid tried out.

Kaylee gave a small laugh. ?No, just Kaylee is fine.?

?I see. You may call me RD-78,? the droid replied.

?All right then, RD-78. RD? Can I call you Ardy??

The droid remained silent for a second, then answered ?If you must.? It?s eyes looked past her and back to the ship. ?What type of ship is this??

?It?s a Firefly class transport,? Kaylee answered.

The droid remained silent, yet it?s motors whirled. ?Firefly class? Unknown classification. What p

20. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    *shudder* Way to leave us hanging! If you go for another long spell, I truly will get choked up. Honestly, there may be some tears. In the meantime, Kaylee, Wash and the droid scene was so wonderfully in character.

21. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I like Kaylee's naïveté with even the droid.

Wash eyed Kaylee and smiled. ?I like him already.?

Ha! I could so picture that. :D

Most of the time there was just worry for her, but it became uncomfortable when he began having other thoughts ? usually ones that concerned Kaylee.

Awww, that's kinda sweet. :D

Mal?s thoughts were fun to read. While there were some naughty ones ? not nearly as much as Jayne?s

Sipping my morning coffee here... nearly spewed. [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Ooooh, so Obi-Wan is searching for her as well? Cool! :cool:

Awesome post Miana!!

22. Kelli_LB

Kelli_LB Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    I'm so glad you're back, I have been missing this fic. I loved how you showed what the crew was like, through River's eyes, especially Jayne. You left a little unsolved mystery regarding Shepherd Book, just like how it was left during the movie. Because he was killed, we never got to find out what his life was like before he became a Shepherd.

Excellt work with this chapter, I can't wait to find out what happens when River meets Vader. Please update soon, I can't wait for more.

23. TnTornado

TnTornado Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2006
    Very cool to get an update to this!

Dang, you got all the characters dead on - and the part where River is thinking about everyones thoughts was funny.

I really like what you have here - please keep working on it, I hope nothing bad happens to serenitys crew, and they can hook up with the alliance without any bad effects (like River turning dark)

TnTornado

24. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Ah, the muse was packed in your luggage.

I'm wondering if River had a vision of Anakin or if she picked up on somebodies memories. [face_thinking] I can't see either Vader or Obi-Wan leaving their minds open to scrutiny.

Make sure your muse is well fed so we can see what happens next.

25. TigerofRobare

TigerofRobare Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 11, 2006
    So Shep was a Jedi, huh? Interesting.

Joss Whedon has actually said that Mal was based on Han Solo.

I bet River could take out a squad of stormtroopers if she was so inclined.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.