main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Into the Black - a Star Wars/Serenity fic (OT) - Update 02/03

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Miana Kenobi, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gardener

Gardener Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2006
    Sigh, that was wonderful!
    I absolutely adored Kaylee and Wash getting along with the repair droid! Oh, I wanna know what happens next! Thank you! Thank you!
    Keep up the great work!
    contentedly,
    gardner
    p.s. witdrawal symptoms haven't yet kicked in. But they will. Oh, they will.

2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    :confused: Didn't think I said/implied that, but he reminds me enough of Jolee from KOTOR that it's plausible. :p

Thanks for your comments, guys! I'm trying to get the next bit out as quickly as my muse will let me so I don't have to leave you all hanging for another month or so! :)

3. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    Thanks for the PM!

As nervous as she was, Kaylee was glad that Wash was there with her. He gave one of his reassuring smiles as another man in white armor approached them and beckoned for them to follow. They fell into step behind him, Kaylee noticing that his hands never left his gun. The guns, too, were something Kaylee had been noticing. They looked nothing like any she had ever seen. There appeared to be no bullet magazines, nothing that even hinted that they fired live ammunition. However, Kaylee did not want to annoy the guard enough to find out if the gun was in fact dangerous. Yeah, she wouldn't know what a gun like that would do. Good detail!

Besides their busted engine, the ship looked fine ? well, minus that patchwork she had done on the primary buffer panel. She made a mental note to reprimand Mal for not getting a new one sooner. [face_laugh]

The droid looked apologetic, which startled Kaylee even more. A machine that could talk, think, and apparently had feelings? Yup- a driod.

The droid?s eyes glowed brighter, denoting either fright or amazement ? Kaylee couldn?t tell. It then looked back at the ship. ?First of its kind in the entire known galaxy?? Any mechanic would be drooling...

?If my scan was accurate, it appears that there is only a breach in the engine?s hull, a few fried circuits, and a small leak that is easily contained,? Ardy supplied.
    Wash eyed Kaylee and smiled. ?I like him already.?
    But you can't have him. He belongs to the Empire.

River awoke in a small jail cell. Her mind reeled at the new surroundings and the information that came with it. It was a holding cell aboard a small shuttle; she could feel the engines beneath the floorboard. They were heading at a relatively high speed yet slowing down. The pilot?s name was Ossa Ladiv. He was from a planet named Corellia, liked to gamble, and had cheated on his wife several times. I love the mix of physical and mental descriptions, and how one flowed into the other.

?I?m hungry.? River!

I love the details of the minds of the crew. They all fit.

Between Mal and Inara and Kaylee and Simon, River figured there was enough material to create one of those old soap operas. [face_laugh]

Shephard?s thoughts were the ones that frightened her. After learning about what she could do, he managed to clamp down all memories or thoughts of his past so that she could not see. However, what few images came to her mind scared her; guns, blades, and blue hands. The latter terrified her, yet she knew that they were not his hands, nor did he want to harm her in any way. It was a mystery she wanted to finish solving, yet now that he had died, it would remain unsolved. Book... Was he a Jedi? And what did the Alliance do to him? And how did they get him in the first place?

A voice at the back of River?s mind told her that she could take them all out quickly. No, another voice inside of her said. Not now. Follow them. They will lead you to him. Uh- oh.

He could control it, but the darkness of it seemed to be controlling him. Good description!

He was here. The images from his mind came to her own once more. A volcanic planet. A beautiful young woman in a brown tunic, leggings, and gloves choking and slumping to the ground while a man with tan robes and a short trimmed beard approached. One name was repeated by both of them. ?Anakin.? That memory would be foremost in his mind, no matter how he tried to avoid it.

He was searching for her. A wave of fear swept over River at the thought. He wanted her to join him. He understood her; that thought alone made River almost want to accept his offer. Yet the voice in her mind yelled at her to resist him. There is another who can help you. One who is not tainted by darkness. Luke, Obi-Wan, or Yoda? Please, choose one of them.

?He?s coming,? she responded, turning to meet her brother?s worried gaze. ?He?s coming for us.?
    A small look of hope crossed

4. Exxaciel

Exxaciel Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    ?All right then, RD-78. RD? Can I call you Ardy??

The droid remained silent for a second, then answered ?If you must.?

Remarkably tolerant droid there. Fantastical update, Miana!

*skips off humming*

She's back!

5. LadyLunas

LadyLunas Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 31, 2005
    I love the way your write the Firefly characters. You have a gift for them, especially River.

I love River's observations abou the crew. They are living the soap opera life, aren't they? :D

River's descriptions about Vader are just slightly skewed, for lack of a better term. Of course, skewed is her perspective on life. It's going to drive Vader up the wall.

Kaylee, meet Ardy. A mechanic's best friend and one who actually knows ships. I love the intereaction here.

6. Exxaciel

Mar 10, 2005
  7. EmpressJade

EmpressJade Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 9, 2005
    Yay,a new update!:D[face_dancing] It's good to see you back Miana.
    Very interesting story and quite an enjoyable one,
    I liked the way how Kaylee interacter to RD-78 or Ardy the mechanic droid, loved the humour when Wash saw him too![face_laugh]
    Wash stopped as he approached, eyeing the droid. ?Wow, Mal?s never looked better.?
    The droid?s face remained neutral. ?I understand it was meant as a joke, though my programming is not finding it funny.?

I liked the River scenes also, where we see her views of the crew's minds, and her visions of Anakin before he became Vader,
    A voice at the back of River?s mind told her that she could take them all out quickly. No, another voice inside of her said.
    Not now. Follow them. They will lead you to him.

Him. The man in black that she had touched minds with when the planet blew up. He had been haunting her thoughts since then, coming closer and closer. He had a power similar to hers, yet different. He could control it, but the darkness of it seemed to be controlling him.

He was here. The images from his mind came to her own once more. A volcanic planet. A beautiful young woman in a brown tunic, leggings, and gloves choking and slumping to the ground while a man with tan robes and a short trimmed beard approached. One name was repeated by both of them. ?Anakin.?

Excellent!! The ending was great as well as there is one other whom River's mind tells her about, There is another who can help you. One who is not tainted by darkness. Could that be Obi-wan possibly?o_O

The tensions are running high for River as Vader seems to be getting near,a wonderful interpretation of the beloved Firefly characters, the brother/sisterly relationship between River and Simon was very touching and well done!=D= =D=

8. LostBook

LostBook Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2003
    Oh my...

how *COOL* !!

=D= I love this, I bet it'll be brilliant when our Star Wars heroes finally meet the Firefly crew. I mean, Mal and Han on the same ship is either a recipe for disaster or a cunning plan waiting to happen!

9. Exxaciel

Mar 10, 2005
    hehe, both. [face_dancing]

10. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Thank you all and sorry about the delay! Midterms are currently eating my brain (and still no internet at home isn't helping).

I really am trying to get this next part done, so here's hoping it'll be soon.

Thanks for reading, guys!

11. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Awesome. We'll be hoping and praying for more.

12. ikarit

ikarit Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2006
    Wow, intriguing idea. Could you PM me when you update?

13. Exxaciel

Mar 10, 2005
    May the Force be with you on those midterms, Mi.

14. Gardener

Gardener Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2006
    ...........Hope all is well, Miana!

Miss you.....and your stories....:)

15. Exxaciel

Mar 10, 2005
    :_| We miss you! *sniffle*

16. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    FINALLY got internet at home... so here's a post to celebrate!!

Obi-Wan Kenobi brought a hand up to his head. The pounding headache he had would not go away. The Force had swelled in his mind, bringing forth a nauseating plethora of screams, cries, then cold silence. Something terrible had happened; that much he was certain of. It felt as if a large group of people had just died a painful death. It stabbed at his heart and his mind, making him weary. He fished for a nearby bench, sitting down before he fell to the ground.

In seconds, the young man near him had deactivated his weapon and came to his side. ?Are you all right??

Obi-Wan did not want to scare him, but instead told him the truth. ?I?ve just felt a great disturbance in the Force. As if millions of voices cried out in terror, then were suddenly silence. I feel something terrible has happened.? He blinked, trying to clear his thoughts, then eyed the young man once more. ?You should return to your lesson.?

Luke Skywalker was strong in the Force; that would have been obvious to even the youngest of Padawans, Obi-Wan mused. With Anakin as a father, it was a given that his offspring would be strong as well. Had Luke been taken to the Temple as a child, he would have turned out to be one of the strongest Jedi Knights in the universe.

A sad smile crawled over Obi-Wan?s lips. That was, at least, if the Temple still stood, or if the Jedi Order still existed. As the last of the old ways, he was happy to see that Luke, who was now practicing with a training droid, might be the hope he needed to rebuild the order.

Yet Anakin was still an issue. As long as he lived, Obi-Wan knew that Vader would try to hunt him down. With Luke with him now, the threat was twice as great. Vader could kill them both and end any hope of restoring the Order, or what was worse, he could try to get Luke to turn to the Dark Side.

Yet something nagged at Obi-Wan?s mind. Wherever they currently were at, he could feel Anakin?s presence. It was coming closer; Vader must have been close to Alderaan, he mused. But what was more was that another presence stuck out in the Force like a beacon. It was unfamiliar to him, very powerful, and very close to Vader?s. Had Vader found a Force-sensitive being and created an apprentice for himself? Or was it another hand of Palpatine?s?

Obi-Wan tried to push down the dread of facing two Sith at once. Battling one was taxing enough, and in his old age he doubted he would last long.

Yet there was no Darkness surrounding the second presence; that alone gave Obi-Wan hope. He could sense that the being was female, and what was more shocking was that she was a few years younger than Luke, yet nearly as powerful. Who was she?

She is our hope. Obi-Wan cocked an eyebrow and eyed the ceiling of the ship. Whenever the Force decided to speak to him, he always found it came in the soft voice of Qui-Gon Jinn. His years of solitude on Tatooine had made him a master at communing with his own former master, who always offered hints and advice but never actual concrete help. It was the way of the Force, Obi-Wan supposed.

Find the River, the voice whispered once more. Do not let it become tainted.

Where Obi-Wan was supposed to find a body of water in space was beyond him, but he had a feeling that whoever this Force sensitive being was, they were connected to it somehow. He let out a small sigh then raised his head to watch Luke practice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

?I just need to redo this section of wiring, patch the whole, check the engine for leaks, then run a systems check, and we should be out of here in no time.? The smile on Kaylee?s face put Mal as a little ease, yet he tensed at the possibilities to his next question.

?And how long?s that going to take??

Kaylee?s smile lessened. ?About three hours.?

Mal frowned. They had finally allowed him to return to the ship to check in on his two crewmen after yet another session of questioning.

17. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I'm looking forward to the meeting of the captains. The Death Star is going to be jumping soon.

Yeah for internet at home.

18. Exxaciel

Mar 10, 2005
    Nice tip there, Qui-Gon- 'Don't let the Rive become tainted'. That works.

How were the midterms?

19. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Midterms were horrible. :p

SO looking forward to finals in 2 weeks. :p

Thanks for reading you two!

20. TigerofRobare

TigerofRobare Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 11, 2006
    Interesting. Thanks for the PM.

21. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Yay for celebrations with more here!!! [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

Find the River, the voice whispered once more. Do not let it become tainted.

The Force couldn't vague it up much more could it? ;)

?In the meantime, Sir,? Zoe said, crossing her arms over her chest like she always did when she had something on her mind, ?since Miranda happens to be blown up, where exactly do you plan on heading??

LOL, just love the characters here. :D :D

22. Kelli_LB

Kelli_LB Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    Like the above poster said, I can't wait for the meeting of Han and Mal. Putting those two personalities together might cause a rip in the fabric of space in time. ;) I'm so glad you posted another chapter. I can't wait to find out what happens next. I have a feeling freeing River is not going to be very easy.

23. TnTornado

TnTornado Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2006
    Good update, can't wait for the next one.

Only thing I didn't like is where you said River is almost as powerful as Luke. I don't see how that can be possible as Luke is not only the son of the chosen one, but he is the most powerful force user ever, as well as having the most control in the force.

Just my .02.

TnTornado

24. Gardener

Gardener Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2006
    Hu-FREAKIN'-zzah! That was great! Thanks and good luck on finals. You can't possibly do anything but rock 'em.

25. Exxaciel

Mar 10, 2005
    Kelli_LB: But I like rips in space-time. They're fun to play with!

TnTornado: Ah, have you even seen Serenity, amigo? I'd say she'd at least have a shot at contention for the title. Not a very good one, but she's up there. Probably Obi-Wan's level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.