main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Invasion #1: Refugees, part 1 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xicer, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    Off topic, but LCS bagging and boarding for customers can have benefits. It costs the LCS a little more, but protects the merchandise from being man-handled. If someone wants to flip through to see if they are interested, they can always ask permission, or the LCS can have a 'display' copy unbagged and boarded for perusal. Also, faithful readers and collectors like myself appreciate the effort. While modern comics don't carry much investment value, keeping them nice is certainly still important. This is easier to do when bagged and boarded. When I lived in Texas, my LCS bagged and boarded. I loved it. My current LCS in Indiana doesn't, and I wish they would, but considering the economy in the area, they most likely can't afford to.

I'm off to pick up my copy of Invasion #1, which after several readings, will be bagged, boarded, and boxed for later enjoyment.

2. max-attac

max-attac Jedi Knight star 1

May 23, 2009
    spoilers, spoilers, spoilers; Now !!!

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "Then it's lucky I have a whole LOT of detonators, then, isn't it?"

I forgot Luke was going to be in this story, so that was a nice surprise.

Anyways, great intro to the series- lots of action, a few great moments (particularly with the sister) and even "a" hat. ;)

4. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Very good issue. I like Luke's entrance. It's a nice gauge of his power. That little reveal at the end was pretty good as well. Definitely liking it and can't wait for more.:cool:

5. JonCrites

JonCrites Jedi Master star 1

Jun 18, 2001
    I am ok with readers b&b-ing their copies, just not ok with a store not having new books out on Wednesday because they have to b&b their new stock.

Anyway, I am ready to dive into the Invasion!

6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I have stuff do to so I'll summarize quickly.

Starts off with a nice shot of the Vong fleet in hyperspace and infiltrators on Artorias. We see Finn doing backflips at the edge of a large building as his father tells him to stop taking risks.

Then we get the preview with the Vong attacking the marketplace where Finn's sister Kaye and mother are. The mother's friend Jenny is wounded in the assault so the mother stays behind to care for her as Kaye runs for it. she's knocked to the ground by a Vong warrior.

At the same time Finn and his father run into a large hangar where the populace barricades themselves from the Vong. The father, Caled lobs a couple of thermal detonators at them but it doesn't do much.

Switches back to Kaye who stabs the Vong warrior in the leg with a knife. In a badass scene the warrior takes the knife out of his leg and hands it back to her, telling her to stab him again and saying he wanted to keep her. She stabs again and kills him, but she's surrounded by a ton of Vong who take her prisoner.

Back in the hangar, the defenders hear a bunch of loud noises. The door bursts open to reveal a bunch of dead Vong, and a cloaked figure with a green lightsaber. Luke greets Caled, and tells him that he can evacuate him and the rest of the Artorians to the forest to ships waiting there. Caled declines saying that he needed to find his family and that he couldn't leave Artorias to the Vong. Finn wants to come too, but Caled tells him to evacuate saying that Artorias still needed a KING:eek: which explains how Luke knew him by name (they also fought at Hoth together).

Caled leads a force to attack the Vong on a beach, Finn tells Luke that he can feel his mother and sister and that they are captured, prompting Luke to tell him to come to Yavin 4 with him. A quick shot of Kaye, her mother and a still living Jenny in some holding device and then two more shots of Caled fighting in the waves and the evacuation ships leaving Artorias.

I liked it and it did it's job as a first issue.

7. Jedi Vince

Jedi Vince Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 1999
    What a wonderful first issue. The horror of the Vong really resonates in visual form. I hope this series reaches its potential.

And I had no idea Luke was going to appear -- what an entrance!

8. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Man, I'm really excited about this. It's giving me all of those happy New Jedi Order middle school nostalgia vibes.

9. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Very nice issue. The writing's sharp, if a little fast-paced; it's excusable for a first issue, though. I'm not sure of the timeline placement, beyond the 25 ABY listed on the opening page; Luke comments how the NR is spread thin, but the #0 issues suggest it's still early enough that most people don't know about the Vong. Maybe between the Dark Tides, though I'm not sure if that works out.

Wilson's art is good. I particularly love the shot of the Vong slave ship taking on passengers; it's got a real sense of looming alien menace. I'm not sure, but I think the ship is also an original design. Nice visual reference on the evacuation ships; they're the C-3 liners from the X-wing/TIE Fighter games.

10. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    Man this issue made me giddy with excitement in a way I haven't been in a long time.

First page, just seeing that massive Vong fleet really set the mood. And the way the Vong are introduced makes them especially scary (and mysterious). The Galfridians are all great so far. I loved the reveal about them being royalty and with Finn having to take up the mantle, it had a very Dune-esque feel to it. I liked Finn too, I'm really looking forward to his training with Luke. The part with Kaye stabbing the Vong was sorta funny, if twisted, but that's the Vong for ya. Overall I was very impressed, this series looks like it's going to go very strong. Colin Wilson's art has also improved exponentially since his work in Legacy, he's the perfect artist for this series. All in all, a 10/10.

11. Hendo255

Hendo255 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 23, 2009
    Well, I just got to read this (ran into Xicer in the process lol) Thought it was good, but was too fast paced. A LOT happened in very little time. Would have been better as 2 issues with a little more development of each scene. I guess they wanted to hit the ground running tho so I expect things to slow down. I hope they REALLY cover Finn's training thoroughly. So anyway, nobody was supposed to know the Vong were coming, then suddenly Luke is on the planet with evac shuttles and a pile of dead Vong? and at this point they should still be a little more difficult to kill because they don't know about the weak points in the crab armor. Also I can't say that I approve of making Finn a Prince and his father King of the planet. I see other's like it but I was looking forward to Finn becoming a new fixture in the Jedi order. Someone we can read about in FotJ maybe. Not someone who will eventually have to leave to lead his people like Tenel Ka did. Other minor points, Finn's mouth disappeared in a few panels and Luke should have asked "you can sense them?" instead of "you can see them?" other than that, my hopes are high for this series.[face_peace]

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Sucked.

Oh, who am I kidding? It was exactly what I'd hoped it would be. Loved the King reveal, loved the C-3s, loved Luke's line about faking leadership - exactly how Luke would think, and reminded me a lot of Mindor. I was a little concerned at first that they'd overdo the surprise element despite this being after VP, but sure enough, Luke shows up and overtly acknowledges that yes, the NR knows what's happening and they'd tried to warn Artorias.

Gonna see if Tom will consent to a few more questions.

Happy to have fed your terror. [face_blush]

13. Wordslinger

Wordslinger Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 5, 2009
    It was OK. I'm more interested in the capture and internment of the sister and the mother than Finns jedi training at this point.
    So, will #2 be out next month, or is it going to pull a Dark Times...

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'll continue reading it. I haven't made up my mind either way as yet.

I liked:

I. The C-3 liners... good TIE Fighter memories.
    II. The Vong fleet
    III. The king fellow who fought at Hoth. How curious. I wonder if he was enthroned before or after. It would be interesting either way--a pro-Rebellion monarch, or someone who played his cards well with the counterrevolutionaries.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    But was it...terror beyond imagination? :eek: [face_batting]

16. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Wasn't bad. Didn't really blow me away, to be honest, but it's got potential. I'd say it's set shortly before, during, or shortly after the Agents of Chaos duology, although I'd have to double-check a couple things.

Wilson's art was pretty slick, especially that slave-ship, which might be the one that nabbed captives on Gyndine in Agents of Chaos II.

Two of the ships had tentlike hulls fashioned from some sort of diaphanous material, from which protruded a dozen or more lightning-forked arms, as if dendrites from an insect-spun nest.

[...]

One of them-a mesh tent pierced by crooked sticks-was hovering over the embassy grounds now.

If that was the intent, then sweet; if not, then... sweet. (It's a great design either way).

And the New Republic soldiers! Great armor design; I like how it ever-so-subtly recalls the ANH fleet trooper design while still being something brand new.

The C-3 liners were also a nice touch, although I always assumed the rings were only hexagons because of the low polycount. :p

Believe it or not, my chief (really, only) complaint is that Wilson's too good with the visual continuity-- he's obviously (and understandably) used existing Vong War art for reference, but the problem there is that most of it is a pretty terrible match to what's described in the books. I kinda wish he'd have started from scratch, using only the novels as a guide, especially after seeing how great his own designs (the slave ship, the NR troopers) are. Though he does draw a pretty great amphistaff.

17. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Ackbar_Van_Gungan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    This issue had to walk a fine line between intriguing new readers and satisfying people that have read the entire NJO novel line. Invasion was sold out in my LCS besides the pull boxes. That never happens with SW comics.

As a result, it might have seemed a little meh for the Star Wars ubergeeks like us TFNers. Everyone else is playing catch up while we are ready for the advanced class.

-The Rebel Gngan

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Another nice nod to past elements was the use of the Jedi handstand in ESB- I don't recall ever seeing/reading that used again. Nice way to set up hints as to his destiny as a Force user.

Yeah, it evokes the fleet troopers (even has that bit of blue cloth peeking up between the plates), as well as Rebel pilot helmets with the center strip and orangey visors (or, with the chin guard, a merger between Rebel and ROTS clone pilot helmets) and a dash of good ol' white armor on top of it.

19. Alexstre

Alexstre Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2009
    Wish I saw that yesterday. I spent all day going around different comic book stores trying to find it, but no luck! Also half of them were closed due to Canada Day. I'm definitely going back today and try to grab a copy ;)

20. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    The lack of public knowledge makes me suspect that this is early, perhaps even between Vector Prime and Dark Tide: Onslaught: Artorias could be the first place to meet the main fleet (led by Shedao Shai at this stage)...

Sounds funky. :D

Agreed, although I can see the logic in using the designs. I'm vaguely making a note of descriptions in the novels. ;) I hope we'll at least get a Vergere who matches her description rather than looking like a flamenco Bomo. :p ;)

- The Imperial Ewok

21. Hendo255

Hendo255 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 23, 2009
    True. Good point.

22. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005

Wait...so does it look like this:
    [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/5/53/Rebel_battle.jpg]

I have always thought the above design looked really cool and wished someone would use it outside of Galaxies. Though, if not, it sound like a pretty cool new design.

23. Cungr_Vanck

Cungr_Vanck Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2008

24. Green_Blade

Green_Blade Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2006
    I really enjoyed the first issue. The New Jedi Order saga is my favorite in the Star Wars Universe, so it is just a treat to be returning there again. Finn and his family are great characters, and the issue had some great surprises, like Finn's sister killing the Vong, Luke showing up and being a badass, and that the family is royalty. Great stuff and the art was outstanding.

Really excited about this series.

25. FireJade

FireJade Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    When did Finn know he was Force-sensitive? He seemed surprised when Luke said it, but he was doing that handstand at the beginning.

Interesting, even if a bit too fast. I'm not actually very thrilled with the idea of Finn being royalty, but at least it's royalty on a seemingly unimportant planet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.