main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Iron Man Movies

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i'll take answer B

2. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    I'll take answer B.

Nowadays when it comes to a leading man in action movies. Cruise is kinda hard to beat. I think he could pull the role off pretty good. They would need to get on with it though.

3. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Jon Favreau to Direct Iron Man

Marvel Studios has hired Jon Favreau to develop and direct the big-screen adaptation of Iron Man and has attracted an impressive roster of writers to help bring some of its high-profile characters to the big screen, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Favreau will direct a feature version of Marvel's armored hero and develop the script with the writing team of Arthur Marcum and Matt Holloway ("Convoy"). The project originally was set up at New Line with Nick Cassavetes directing.

Writer-director-actor Favreau previously helmed "Zathura: A Space Adventure." He was attached to direct "John Carter of Mars" for Paramount, but the 11th "Star Trek" movie, from J.J. Abrams and due out in 2008, put a stop to that project for now.

Iron Man will be Favreau's next movie, and he hopes to go behind the camera early next year.

4. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    John Carter of Mars would of been bad ***** :(

So Gutter is directing o_O

Odd choice but we'll have to see how it turns out.

5. jediDaria

jediDaria Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2006
    An Iron Man movie? It better be good.

Tom Cruise as Tony Stark?:eek: What! No. Get an unknown to play Iron Man. It worked for Batman.

6. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Well, I liked Elf and have heard good things about Zathura, so I'm optimistic about this choice. Let's just hope he does a better job behind the camera of a Marvel movie than in front of it (Daredevil).

7. durden21

durden21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2001
    Adam West o_O

I don't think that every character out there needs to be played by an unknown like so many people seem to think. Some times you do need it (Superman) some times you don't (Batman and well...pretty much anything else).

Forget Cruise, forget the guy from the Mummy, forget any other casting rumor you may have heard. It out of New Line now and back at Marvel so its a whole new game. Looking at the rest of their slate I'm not sure you need to worry about any big name actor in the role. It probably will be an unkown, just cause they couldn't afford a "known" :p

8. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Ugggh Jon Favreau is not the man for the job,he has no dramatic or action films in his credits.

9. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    He is cheap though :p

It will be interesting to see if nothing else. I enjoy his older stuff, his new stuff not so much.

10. SpreadtheMuse

SpreadtheMuse Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2006
    Unfortunately, this is a letdown. I saw both Elf and Zathura and thought both were undercooked and disappointing, capable of being a lot better than they turned out to be.

I suppose it would be too much to ask that they actually get some Iron Man writers to write an Iron Man movie. Bob Layton? The man behind the Armor Wars and Bad Blood? I would have had almost unconditional faith in anything he wrote. But as this new guy stands, my hope is over before it even started.

11. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
  12. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    that's good.

13. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    There can be only one Tony Stark:

[image=http://www.stewartsattic.com/Marx/specials/whosjohnny/TomSelleck.jpg]

14. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
  15. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    that's a good approach i guess

16. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Iron Man Targeted for May, 2008

Scooper 'Advanced Dark' tells Superhero Hype! that Iron Man director Jon Favreau has dropped another big one on his official Blog for the movie...

He says the movie is targeted for a May, 2008 release.

17. adoyidej

adoyidej Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 2004

18. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Brandon Routh is the perfect example of an unknown landing a major role. All I've seen of him is a very small bit part in a Gilmore Girls episode. Before AOTC, Hayden had already been in several Canadian TV shows and a few films.

Bale, on the other hand, was not an unknown. He was already well known as a child actor for Empire of the Sun and shortly before BB he had major roles in Shaft, Reign of Fire, American Psycho and so on.

Back to Iron Man... I wonder how they're going to do the origin. The official timeline for it is still set during the Vietnam War even though that strains believability. Perhaps they'll make him a Middle East POW.

19. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    While in RL Tom Cruise is kind of a nutcase, he is a preety good actor IMO, and would be a good fit for Tony Stark. But I also do see the good in hiring an unknown. Whatever the case, Iron Man is one of my favorite characters so I hope this movie turns out to be like X-Men or Batman Begins rather than The Hulk or Daredevil.

20. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i think the idea was to bump up the time frame to make it take place in the current times so yeah a Middle East POW from the Gulf War or something would seem right

21. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
  22. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    good to know who the villain is going to be. now who's going to play him? [face_thinking]

23. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    The Mandarin is a good choice. But really, Iron Man is kinda lacking when it comes to a good dedicated rogues gallery. He doesn't really have a Joker, a Lex Luthor or a Green Goblin. Most of his biggest villains are really Avengers villains. In his solo career, Mandarin is about as close to his "it" villain as it gets.

Though, even if it might have been pretty cheesy, a part of me wanted to see Fin Fang Foom. ;)

As for who should play him: Come on, now. It's gotta be David Lo Pan himself, James Hong.

[image=http://www.jameshong.com/Copy%20of%20hong02l.JPG]

24. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Favreau also hinted at casting himself in the role in an interview. The teaser poster is up now. Heres a pic of it. I like it.

[image=http://www.newsarama.com/SDCC06/Marvel/Ironmovie.jpg]

Then here is the interview.

25. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    great poster :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.