main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ironies of Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by nknx2005, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nknx2005

nknx2005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    Post all the different ironic moments you can think of. Yes, dramatic irony counts too.

My pick would be that Anakin's path to Hate is Love.

Anyone got anything else?

2. kainangmar

kainangmar Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2005
    The Gungans are "Grand Warriors" but they elected Jar-Jar as their senator. THat whole society is done.

3. Freedom_Fighter

Freedom_Fighter Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 14, 2005
    anakin claims that Palpatine is a good man. although i guess that aint really an irony, that's more like plot devlopment, showing how ani is kinda manipulated by palpatine.

4. swatoa

swatoa Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2005
    When the Emperor expressed his fear to Luke that the deflector shield [of the death star] will be operational when Luke's friends arrive.

5. Dukhat

Dukhat Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2004
    When you think Lucas is awesome for the original trilogy and then when you see the prequels and realize that he was incredibly lucky to have good actors in the OT that made up for his crappy directing, and a good executive producer that held back his crazy over-zealous desire for shiney things.

Ok maybe its not ironic, just sad.

6. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    "I would much rather dream of Padme."
    -Anakin Skywalker Attack of the Clones

Anakin wants to save all those he loves. To do so he is in search of more power. The pursuit of further power ends up killing those he loves.

I'll get some more later. Those are just the ones that I've been thinking about today.

-Seldon

7. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    It's ironic that some people will never be able to get over their fanatical devotion to, what they call the "Origina--Original Trilogy", and the genius of the first three episodes in the Star Wars Saga, and especially the glory ROTS will forever be lost on them.

It's not ironic, it's just sad, really... :p

8. RobertHuntingdon

RobertHuntingdon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2005
    Anakin turns to the dark side to try to save Padme's life. His turn to the dark side more directly CAUSES her death than anything else.

If that's not irony, I don't know what is.

RH

9. Tokio_Drifter

Tokio_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2003
    'Only the Sith deal in absolutes'

- Master Kenobi, ROTS

'Do or do not, there is no try'

- Master Yoda, ESB

Ironically, both Jedi and Sith deal in absolutes. (Heck, even the reaction of Obi-Wan has an absolute quality to it!)

This shows the fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin/Vader at Mustafar wasn't a fight between good and evil, but a fight between men who became blinded by truth (hence the red planet, 'evil is everywhere'). Even the good Obi-Wan didn't realise the Jedi are not much different from the Sith. Palpatine has an point in the Opera scene ('And the Jedi don't?') , but misuses this by justifying his own point of view.

10. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    The biggest irony to me is the implication that Anakin might be a Sith creation...

11. Manral

Manral Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    As Tokio_Drifter said:
    -----------------
    'Only the Sith deal in absolutes'

- Master Kenobi, ROTS

'Do or do not, there is no try'

- Master Yoda, ESB

Ironically, both Jedi and Sith deal in absolutes. (Heck, even the reaction of Obi-Wan has an absolute quality to it!)
    ---------------------

This made me think that Luke is the most powerfull and true jedi in the saga because:

- He does not deal in absolutes and believe there is good in all.

- He is the offspring of Anakin, and have a strong connection to the force, without Palpatines twisting.

- And if Palpatine or Plageius created Anakin and made him easier to currupt from the begining, Luke had none of that in him, but still has the high midi count.

- He is not over confident in him self as Mace is and Yoda may be.

- He knows how to make a choise, and make the right one.

- He even turn down the emperor.

Don't you think?

12. Tokio_Drifter

Tokio_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2003
    Yeah, Luke is the way. :)

13. thefreshman

thefreshman Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2004
    Qui-Gon TPM
    We can only protest you we can't fight a war for you

Mace Windu AOTC
    We are keepers of the peace not warriors

The Jedi wer coaxed into War, as Padme tells Anakin in ROTS "Do you ever wonder if We are on the right side"
    The Jedi were involved in War which they already stated they do not do, this war was just about Seperatists wanting to get away from the Republic, I'm sure they probably fought the war because of the evil people in charge Niemoidians, Sidious, Dooku, Greivious,. but that war was thier undoing in many ways.

Yoda ANH
    War not make one great

Yoda sees the errors of the Jedi ways

14. kopolee11

kopolee11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2003
    That Anakian turns to the dark side for love, and turned back to the light side for love.

15. Inkling-Star

Inkling-Star Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2004
    "I would much rather dream of Padme."
    -Anakin Skywalker Attack of the Clones
    - Darth Seldon

Wow, now there is a connection I never noticed until now. Anakin dreams of his mother dying, and states that he would rather dream about Padme... then it is his dreams of Padme dying that lead him down the dark path.

16. Abstract_Aura

Abstract_Aura Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    The most infamous Star Wars line "Luke I am your father!" is no longer the shock it once was.

17. pinkpuff

pinkpuff Jedi Master

Jun 1, 2005
    In Return of the Jedi, Luke tells the Emperor that his overconfidence is his weakness. The Emperor then tells Luke that his faith in his friends is his. However, it turns out to be that Luke's undoing is in fact his overconfidence in his abilities, and the Emperor's is his faith in Vader...

18. Tion_Meddon

Tion_Meddon Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    "I love democracy! I love the Republic!"
    -Palpatine

19. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    One of my favorite lines from the saga is:
    "Senator this is your arena, I feel I must return to mine. I've decided to go back to Naboo."
    -Amidala TPM.

What I've always loved is the irony here.
    Padme feels that Coruscant is Palpatine's arena while Naboo is hers. How mistaken she is. If she only knew that the whole galaxy is his arena. That in the grand scheme of things, she is a puppet, a pawn being used by Palpatine and that she doesn't have an arena at all. That it is just a thought, a mistaken belief. The events of TPM prove that everything is being planned by Palpatine, the universe is his stage, he is the grand director.

"Do or do not, there is no try"
    -Yoda TESB.

The irony? In Revenge he tried to defeat Sidious and failed. He neither did or did not, he simply tried.

-Seldon

20. Gamebird

Gamebird Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    I don't know if it is an irony, but it is sad that the Jedi in the PT are little more than glorified assassins running at the beck and call of the emperor, until he has them assassinated in turn.

When Obi-Wan was cutting down General Grievous, I could not help but wonder what Grievous had done to deserve a death sentence - no trial, no diplomacy, no discussion. Much the way Qui-Gonn and Obi-Wan approached the trade federation at the start of TPM. They walked onto the ship and fought their way to the bridge... and it seemed clear to me that their intent was to get in there and kill the leaders. Just kill them.

I found it bizarre and off-putting for a long time, until I watched RotS (or "How I learned to love the Saga"). Then I realized this was all part of the fall of the Jedi - their hubris that they were out doing great and honorable things, when their actions were indefensible.

-------------
    Edit:
    Here's another one:
    After Luke tries unsuccessfully to raise the X-wing from the swamp, Yoda does it. Luke says, "I don't believe it!" and Yoda replies, "That is why you fail."

It made me laugh when I realized the incredible arrogance of Yoda's statement. Essentially he's saying that to use the Force well, you have to approach things with complete confidence that you'll succeed. Of course that's how Anakin approached things, always rushing in and expecting to win. I think he drew a great deal of power from his confidence in himself.

It was just laughably ironic to have Yoda trying to teach Luke that he needed to discard all his foolish notions about what could and could not be done, when the arrogance that made the Jedi fall in the first place stemmed from that same, fatal blindness.

21. SapphireAD

SapphireAD Jedi Master

Aug 24, 2004
    In ANH, it's ironic that Vader is dealing with Leia, his own DAUGHTER, andand he doesn't even know it. It's the same with when he's going after Luke in the trench of the Death Star (Of course, he's no longer ignorant about Luke after he learns his last name). The whole time Luke and Leia are together in ANH and ESB is also ironic because they don't know they're twins :p

22. I_Bent_My_Wookie

I_Bent_My_Wookie Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    The most infamous Star Wars line "Luke I am your father!" is no longer the shock it once was.

Is the most famous Star Wars line constantly being misquoted irony?

23. dark_jedi32

dark_jedi32 Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Anakin says somethin like: "i don't like sand. Its rough, coarse and it gets everywhere".

Then, on Mustafar, he is buring on a river bank and the hot sand engulfs him in flames.

Zing.

24. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Fantastic connection dark_jedi32.
    Thank you for that.

-Seldon

25. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    Most of the whining about TPM was in relation to Jar Jar Binks.

People were virtually *screaming* to see Jar Jar get killed violently in AOTC.

It didn't happen.

After AOTC, some losers were screaming that what would make them like the PT was to *finally* see the demise of the acursed Gungan in Ep. III.

But, NO, it DIDN'T happen in ROTS, either, now DID it?

I bet, no, I KNOW, now, FOR A FACT, that it *is* JAR JAR BINKS who we hear yelling "Weesa freeee!" at the end of the ROTJ DVD.

George Lucas despises you bashers.

lol

R2-D2, C3-PO, and JAR JAR BINKS are the ties that bind the Saga together.

I LOVE GEORGE LUCAS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.