main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is a TROS Director's Cut Possible?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Def Trooper, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I think there is a better chance of rebooting the ST then a director's cut. I think Disney knows there is no way to salvage the ST for some fans.

Darth PJ likes this.
  2. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Just wait 5-10 years and do ep10-12.

The ST ends in pretty much the same spot as the OT that they wouldn’t need to alter Lucas’ original concept of the ST, outside of there being no grandkids anymore.

Just set it 100 years down the road and get Hamill back as a ghost to train new generation. They don’t even need to retcon the ST. Just vaguely ignore it or mention the “old first order” in passing.

Darth PJ likes this.
  3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Disney don't have to do anything really. they will produce 10 shows, 10 movies in the star wars universe and one day come back and possibly one day come back to the ST timeline when everything has died down and going back to the ST might be more attractive.

They probably won't introduce force ghosts as teachers. thats a pretty big mile step to the afterlife.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  4. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    The first two chapters of the ST were actually pretty good; TROS unfortunately is a disaster of film making.
    Disney however, will be focusing on TV work from now, I suspect - and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if DR and JB came back in the future to play Rey and Finn in either a live action series or an animated one. I'm firmly convinced that they will pop up in a comic series at the least.

5. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I so disagree with this sentence

6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Even if they really were interested in a new cut it would probably make more sense to wait until the current cluttered content strategy exhausts itself and they can harken back to the excitement of the earliest days of the Disney era when things felt fresher and more open.

I suspect in ten or fifteen years we’ll hear an executive talking about how they want Star Wars to feel like an event again. Of course there’s probably no way to salvage a film that brings back Palpatine, but it might be better than the Star Wars: Wampa route they’re going.

fett 4 and Def Trooper like this.
  7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No, let it die. The Snyder cut of JL was a very special case.

godisawesome likes this.
  8. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I think y’all have a much rosier view of how Disney thinks the franchise is doing post-TROS than I do. Letting one of the biggest franchises essentially lie fallow for a decade is...antithetical to Disney’s philosophy.

Ofc they’ve announced more content, but interest seems to be fairly shallow and fleeting compared with the Saga films.

DLF...seems to have stuff going on so that money hasn’t been their #1 priority (lord knows why) but I have more faith in Disney’s hunger for money.

Also @sian1965 considering what JJ has said if there’s a JJ cut I doubt TLJ stans would like it more than TROS.

9. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    It could be argued the Mandalorian has actually done more good than the ST ever could. infact when you realise they have Boba fett and Ahsoka being made under the same team as Mando. and we also have the hyped Obi Wan Show. id say Disney are fine for the time being.

Disney could certainly release a JJ cut for a profit. but then it would be their problem after when they have to distinguish canon and lets just hope everyone would prefer the JJ cut and it doesn't turn into a split fans view, creating even more issues with the ST.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I *would* like to see the deleted/alternate scenes, which I’m sure are actually rather prodigious in numbers, but just as likely to be meandering or contradictory. But I don’t want a “recut”.

Darth Mikey and Glitterstimm like this.
  11. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I would rather time and energy go into new original stories, whether those stories feature familiar characters like Luke, Rey, Finn, or entirely new characters like in the Mandalorian

12. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I agree with the post up until the Mandalorian bit. Lots of video game side quests with Boba Fett Cosplayer (he's a Bounty Hunter too what a coincidence) and a baby Yoda is hardly original

13. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    If they thought a JJ cut would be received at the same level of enthusiasm as TROS they wouldn’t bother.

I’ve seen nowhere near the engagement with The Mandalorian as the ST got. Lots of baby yoda merch/memes but that’s it.

And franchises these days tend not to do “all-new” for a reason, no matter if the resulting stories are great or not.

There is THR but very few fans seem to be talking about it.

14. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Din Djarin, aka the Mandalorian, was a bounty hunter for like one episode, the show is much more than what you’re describing

KyleKartan, Sarge and TCF-1138 like this.
  15. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think Disney/Lucasfilm actually face a bigger challenge going forward than some realise, certainly in terms of making Star Wars films. The sequel trilogy was the one real chance to utilise the characters and situations of the OT, and by extension the PT, in order to create interest in a new era post sequels. I think that opportunity was not realised, and rather than the ST putting SW in a position of looking forwards, beyond TROS, the general lack of interest will force Disney/Lucasfilm to look backwards... which will create a situation where Lucasfilm may feel more inclined to use stormtroopers, x-wings, the Empire/rebels etc.etc. Of course the TV shows can/will work to try new things in the sandbox. But live action big budget films will always have the bigger reach (assuming cinemas reopen of course) and will now be a risk to the franchise.

Def Trooper likes this.
  16. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    It never ceases to amuse me that Disney erased the 'real' Skywalkers......yet bring back Luke for a cameo in the Mandalorian.

You killed them all off Disney....let them go.:p

17. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    In what world is having the most popular TV show in the world, and a slate of 10 shows and films, consistent with your statements in bold above?

TCF-1138 likes this.
  18. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm not sure we have the data to use either way. I'm certainly stoked for the new TV shows... especially Obi-Wan Kenobi and The Acolyte... as I hope those shows will expand the lore around the 'force' and the Sith/'rule of two' respectively. However... saying that, historically speaking, big films tend to create the biggest amount of buzz in the media etc. so it is probably true that the ST (certainly TFA) garnered more general interest than the current spate of SW content in train. But of course, having some of the biggest TV shows out there is no small feat.

Def Trooper likes this.
  19. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I don’t see how having a show that was very popular when released (like dozens of other shows have been) and a slate of upcoming content (like all functioning studios) equates to a franchise remaining on top of the heap in an extremely competitive market.

Marvel releases build off each other, reinforce buzz and popularity of characters and increase
    anticipation for upcoming narratives. That’s not what DLF is doing. No one even has any idea what upcoming stories there are. There’s a bunch of announced shows they’ve told us little-to-nothing about.

I’m seeing nothing close to the buzz there was around the ST. And the idea that Disney would give the Saga a 10-year “breather” or whatnot would be odd considering how they’re using Marvel.

I hear folks talk like we’re in the pre DLF, pre-Marvel era, where SW could be a top franchise with minimal (or even standard creative effort). Those days are gone. I don’t trust DLF anymore; too much mismanagement of the SW movies. But I trust Disney to be somewhat rational, financially.

Def Trooper likes this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Sorry, but Baby Yoda took the world by storm and global audiences are anticipating his and the show’s return like no other. Studios dream of having that kind of singular success in such a competitive market. Nothing you say changes that. Yes, Marvel is also popular. Yes, Bridgerton is popular. Etc. Etc. But Star Wars is still drawing enormous interest, and the revitalization under Baby Yoda is real.

21. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Baby yoda is a single character that sells merch and spreads memes. Baby Yoda is also likely to have little presence in Mando s3, which is coming out in a year and a half and there’s nothing suggesting he’ll appear in anything else. Disney/DLF is clearly not basing any content strategy around him. And a ton of baby yoda’s popularity is with non-fans who haven’t been inspired to look into other SW content.

(And I’m perplexed by the comparison of Marvel’s popularity with that of Bridgerton.)

22. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Lol, I think I read this exact sentence on the back of my Baby Yoda Cereal box.

Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    As Marcus Aurelius said, “Look for the truth on the back of cereal boxes.”

24. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Or in Burger Kings.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  25. Trev Elyt

Trev Elyt Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 22, 2019
    I have a lot of thoughts on this, and while this has already been mentioned, I think it’s worth reiterating that the Snyder Cut was a unique situation because the film that was released largely differed from the original director’s vision of it, and enough footage existed to bring the original vision to life that they could justify reshoots and releasing an alternate version of the film, if you even want to call it that.

While I do think there were significant chunks of exposition that were omitted from the original version of the film — the extended opening on Mustafar, a more in-depth explanation for Palpatine’s return, the Lando/Jannah situation that’s only touched on in tie-in literature, etc. — I don’t see many fans clamoring for a “J.J. cut” of the film, even if they liked the sequels. Personally, as someone who really loved it (in spite of its flaws), I think a longer version of The Rise of Skywalker would’ve done wonders for it. However, I also feel like the best thing for Star Wars right now is to move on from the sequels for a bit. Somewhere down the line, if that opinion widely changes, maybe they can at least use deleted scenes to create some sort of “special edition” — we all know Star Wars is no stranger to that. ;)

Maybe it’s blind optimism, but I do have hope that eventually, these films will grow to be loved by more fans in the same way the prequels were. In spite of what many Star Wars fans would argue, there are people that loved the sequels, and I think it’s important to respect that, the same way fans of the other two trilogies expect their love for those films to be respected. These films are never going to please everyone, so it’s not worth constantly trying to reimagine them to fit every individual fan’s specific desires.