main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Akira Kurosawa the key? Ep 3

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by TK327, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bad radio

bad radio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 1999
    >>>> I don?t know if it has been mentioned in this topic, but the Taiwanese(?) movie "A Touch Of Zen" seems to share some similarities between both TPM and AOTC in terms of characters and fight-scenes.

The reason why A Touch of Zen seems so much like TPM is because both movies are based in part on Kurosawa?s The Hidden Fortress. King Hu Jinquan was inspired by Kurosawa in much the same way Lucas was. Watch Kurosawa?s Rashomon, and then go back and watch any one of King Hu?s movies?pay special attention to the camera work and the widescreen arrangement of both directors. You will be astonished at the similarities.

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Thanks for the info, Bad Radio.I did wonder whether that might be the case.

I thought the fight at the end between the two good-guys (the general and the girl) and the bad guy was kind of similar to the Obi-Wan/Anakin/Dooku fight at the end of AOTC.

In both of these films the two good-guys are defeated by the bad-guy who's skill is far superior to theirs, only to be rescued by a third good-guy: the Buddhist monk in ATOZ and Yoda in AOTC.

I've seen several of Kurosawa's films and unlike "A Touch Of Zen" the action sequences are over pretty quickly.I guess this is to do with the difference in philosophy between the two cultures' martial arts?

3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
  4. Prometheus-One

Prometheus-One Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2003
    You are right about the difference in culture in regards to martial arts. I've practiced Kendo (the art of the samurai sword) for a year now and I've learned through my sensie that a samurai's skill was determined on the quickness with which he defeated his opponent. We are taught the same thing.

Quick and accurate strikes. No more, no less. No wasted motions or energy.

Prometheus

5. Prometheus-One

Jul 15, 2003
    You are right about the difference in culture in regards to martial arts. I've practiced Kendo (the art of the samurai sword) for a year now and I've learned through my sensie that a samurai's skill was determined on the quickness with which he defeated his opponent. We are taught the same thing.

Quick and accurate strikes. No more, no less. No wasted motions or energy.

Thank for the info on that film Bad Radio.

Prometheus

6. Prometheus-One

Jul 15, 2003
    Double post? Sorry.

7. bad radio

Aug 26, 1999
    >>>> I have not seen Sanjuro (Spelling?) but I have seen some of Akira's other films. [?] I've practiced Kendo (the art of the samurai sword) for a year now and I've learned through my sensie that a samurai's skill was determined on the quickness with which he defeated his opponent.

Prometheus, you need to make it a priority to see Sanjuro. Since you studied kendo, I have a feeling that you will absolutely love the final swordfight between Sanjuro and Muroto. (Ask yourself how a swordfight could be spiritual and at the same time allow the audience to get their guilty pleasure.) What?s more, you will really enjoy the message of the film, which is to own a sword, to carry one, but not to use it, to keep it clean in the scabbard.

8. MR-BADMAN

MR-BADMAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    Joy.
    True joy, a real thread, I love this thread, I took part in it earlier on, I cant keep up anymore, this thread should be fully handed over to Bad Radio, its his bulletin board.

Kudos Bad Radio, this is truly an insightful piece of work.

9. Prometheus-One

Jul 15, 2003
    I could not agree with you more Mr-Badman.

I will certaintly view Sanjuro, and ponder about what your question(statement) on the message of the film, BadRadio.

Prometheus

10. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Yes, the duel at the end of Sanjuro is fantastic! Prometheus, I take it that you noticed that Anakin and Dooku adopt a distinctly Kendo posture at one point during their duel?

bad_radio: Someone has posted the 'Anakin turns to save Luke' theory as their own on the X Boards. Or is that you under a different guise?

11. Prometheus-One

Jul 15, 2003
    I did notice that TK327. I was surprised when I saw that.

I'm waiting to see what other styles Anakin will employ in his duels during the film.

12. bad radio

Aug 26, 1999
    >>>> bad_radio: Someone has posted the 'Anakin turns to save Luke' theory as their own on the X Boards. Or is that you under a different guise?

Not me? I barely have enough time to post in these forums. That kinda ticks me off.

EDIT: I did some nosing around and I suspect you are referring to this thread: Anakin ? One Last Good Deed?. This guy, Darth Hade, goes by the moniker Melancholy on these boards (I think he?s even posted in this thread a couple of times). Anyway, he got most of his info from this thread and another thread in the AOTC forum called Isn't Anakin stronger than Yoda?? .

13. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Yes, that's the thread bad radio. Not cool.

the message of the film, which is to own a sword, to carry one, but not to use it, to keep it clean in the scabbard.

I wonder if we might see Anakin make a number of attempts to force Ben into a confrontation, only to have him refuse... until he's backed into a corner?

14. Melancholy

Melancholy Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Wait a minute, time out.

I am not Darth Hade.

I know Hade from him being at the X-Boards, but I don't post there. this is the only place I post.

I used to have a PM thing going with him because he used to get some good spoilers.

I think he had the script for AOTC for quite some time before it came out. I'm not sure though.

I think he used to post here during the TPM days.

He knows a lot of stuff. Vanda and Hade worked on the whole "Anakin erased the Kamino files" thread at the X-Boards. That is where that whole idea got started.

A copy of that thread ended up starting here and it's still going.

15. DARK_SCORE

DARK_SCORE Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2000
    Great thread guys - respect

16. pando

pando Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2003
    You are trying way to hard, yes Lucas has stated that his inspiration for Star Wars was taken from hidden fortress, no there is no relationship between that movie and Episode III.

Hire a movie called 'Midway' an old war mivie depicting the battle of midway in WWII. There are way more expamples of Lucas poaching from that movie than any other i have ever seen. It is really something, especially the dog fights.

You can see what ever you want to see.

17. HaN___DoLO3

HaN___DoLO3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 6, 2003
    You are trying way to hard, yes Lucas has stated that his inspiration for Star Wars was taken from hidden fortress, no there is no relationship between that movie and Episode III.

Read the entire thread, and its cousin before you deny the relationship to Kurosawa's work and Star Wars. [face_plain]

bad radio and TK327 have done alot of work here...I'd hate to see it ignored. :(

18. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001

We'll see. Ternian has hinted that Obi-Wan and and Padme will have a Han and Leia type relationship (obviously referring to the quips not the romance). This would mirror the relationship between General Makabe and the Princess in THF. We've already seen something along these lines with Padme and Qui Gon in TPM.

Also, If you'd have paid closer attention, you'd have noticed that a number of us have suggested that many of Kurosawa's films, not just THF, likely influence Lucas

AL has recently sparked new interest in an early rumour that Anakin will become Palpatine's bodyguard. Bodyguard translates to Yojimbo in Japanese, doesn't it?

19. Darth48076

Darth48076 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    How many US-made movies must be RIPPED from Akira Kurosawa's masterpieces???

I did an topic about this at my home website forum and it comes to about 15 movies of Akira's that was blantedly ripped.

Yes GL says that hidden Fortress was Star wars inspiration. SO was dune... hehehe but I feel that some of you young kids (13 ~ 22) need to take a day and watch some kuroswa-san movies... You'll be surprised. Darth still wants a copy of seven samurai DVD....

Thats teh only movie I can watch all day every day... besides Star Wars of Course...

20. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    The recent spy report indicating that Sidious will flip a genetic switch, triggering the clonetroopers to turn on the Jedi parallels the fall of the Samurai a bit. When feudalism was abolished in Japan, the samurai were rendered obsolete by legions of soldiers who were armed with rifles instead of swords. At one point, the Samurai attempted to revolt against the new system, but were brutally put down by the rifle toting soldiers.

This isn't exacly Kurosawa related, but as it relates to the history of the Samurai, which were, of course, the focus of many of Kurosawa's films, it seems appropriate.

21. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Is it so much a genetic switch as it is his mental strength to speak to the minds of millions and order them to obey his command? They are people, not robots with a program chip in their heads.

22. JediMAQ

JediMAQ Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2001
    Seeing this thread alive again brings warm feelings to my heart....

23. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Not sure about the details on the 'genetic switch'. For the record though, behavioral modification through genetic manipulation is not at all far fetched. No chips required.

Glad that you're glad JediMAC. :)

24. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I see something similar to the dialogue from Sidious in RotJ where he talked about the legion of his best troops under his command.

25. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    For what it's worth, the spy report states:

-Palpatine had the clone troopers made with genetic data that allows him to take complete control of them when he needs to.

This suggests a somewhat scientific explanation for the troopers' change in behavior.

The main point I was trying to make was regarding the similarities between the Jedi and Samurai--they both became obsolete and were replaced by legions of troops with 'modern' weaponry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.