main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo Is anyone going to any Olympic events?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Toran-Kal, Feb 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toran-Kal

Toran-Kal Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2001
    Is anyone going to any Olympic events?

I, for one, am not. :(

2. navaren

navaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2001
    The closest I got to Olympic events was being down at Cougar Stadium for the cauldron lighting....and that's all the closer I will ever get.

Anyone else?

3. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    I've been up to Salt Lake a few times so far. If you can make it I recommend that you get to Downtown. It's so much fun, there is also so much to do. I'm going again this week and a few other times next week. Oh I can't wait.

4. Keighvin

Keighvin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 30, 2001
    I work in downtown SLC - 48 W, between 300 and 400 South. This puts me 3 blocks from the absolute dead center of the city - plenty hectic.

A few tips for anyone wanting to come down:

DRESS WARMLY. You will be outside and on foot, probably for a lot longer than you'd like to be.

COME EARLY, USE TRAX. Leave at least 2 hours before you have to be anywhere (plus any extra waiting time to get good seats or standing space). If you're a real pro leaving during perfect traffic conditions you can shave 1/2 hour off that, but only if coming into SLC is old hat.

DON'T NEED IT, DON'T BRING IT. All security concerns aside (checking backpacks and the like) the more you have to keep track of, haul around with you, and hold when you're stuck somewhere only serves to make the experience unpleasant.

SCHEDULE GENEROUSLY. It's tough to get back out of the city, sometimes waiting a while for a train empty enough to squeeze another body on or dealing with any other traffic. Don't plan on being to something right after anything in Salt Lake, give yourself some leeway.

5. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    I went to the Nordic Combined K90 at Olympic Park
    It was incredibly awesome.
    Definitely go early. It can take up to an hour to get through screening lines.
    I would actually recommend taking a bus if you can, instead of trax. Trax can get extremely full.

6. Handyman

Handyman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
    Now you guys are making me jealous! :mad:

7. KadeBendu

KadeBendu Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2001
    I went to the K120 Ski Jumping Qualifications in Park City on Tuesday. We had an absolute blast -- no traffic problems to speak of although there were tons of people.

8. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    I was offered tickets to one of the hockey games on Sunday but I was up in Bear Lake at the time.

9. Toran-Kal

Toran-Kal Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2001
    Yeah.....well......well........ I could get a telescope out and watch all the events at Snowbasin from my house, like men's and women's downhill. Does that count?

Ok. Ok. So I'm just really jealous. :_|

(But I really can see it from my house. ;) )

10. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    The K120 must have been cool.
    For me, too, the traffic in Park City was very smooth.

11. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    I am going to the biathalon at soldier hollow. I have gone downtown a couple of times, and traffic was no problem driving there. Parking can be a bit expensive, but we parked at my dad's work so it wasn't bad for me. The gateway was alright, but I didn't find washington square too interesting.

BTW: Has anybody heard about that stupid "ethnic villiage?" I walked in, walked around their tent, and walked out. That place is so lame it deserves to shut itself down. I wish I was "ethnic" then when my buisness venture failed, I could blame it on ppl being racist and get the stupid mayor help ME out, when all these other buisnesses are failing.

12. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    I'm doing my part and shopping. Not my fault my friends don't have any money to just blow on clothes and other things.

13. Marna_Veign

Marna_Veign Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    I'm going to see the Light of the World on saturday. Does that count as an olympic event? :D

14. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    A guy at my work gave me tickets to the Medals Plaza tonight. :D I guess you can count this as an Olympic event.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.