main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is anyone going to StarFest this year???

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by BFett88, Mar 17, 2014.

1. LadyoftheMandalore

LadyoftheMandalore Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2007
    I would love to :) I'll see if I can break away :)

Obey Wann likes this.
  2. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Jana and I will be there. We're having it be our base of operations since we're driving up to Denver for the weekend anyways. So we will be at the WOTR and Starfest.

3. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    YAY, I don't get near enough Jana and Sarah time.

4. BFett88

BFett88 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 5, 2003
    It looks like Billy Dee Williams will be there. That should be cool.

5. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    It's Lando time!

QueenHighMistress and nnaydolem like this.
  6. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    YES! Jason, you MUST get your pix with him dressed up!!!!!!

he-guy, DieWompRatDie and FanForced like this.
  7. Dark Crafty

Dark Crafty Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 21, 2013
    Less than a month! I can't believe it's already that time of year again, I'm super excited!!

8. Yuri1138

Yuri1138 Jedi Knight

Dec 29, 2009
    I'll be there all weekend!

9. Dark Crafty

Apr 21, 2013
    Anyone done the "Meet and Greet" before? There is a lot of awesome guests this year and I was thinking about getting a ticket for it... but I DONT want a ticket if 400 people are there... Is it usually packed or a smaller group (100) of people?

10. Dark Crafty

Apr 21, 2013
  11. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Unfortunately it looks like all the Star Wars events are on Sunday the 4th. The best ones (and up against our event at Wings), are the panels with Sam Witwer & Billy Dee Williams @ 3 & 4pm. That's interesting timing with those two, as it seems back to back would make it difficult for an attendee to see both.

12. Nerfherders

Apr 26, 2002
    If they're both in the main hall it's not bad. Unlike most cons, if you're already in the main hall you don't have to leave - you can stay in there all day if you want.

13. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008

This make me like Starfest even less, if that was possible this year. I'm not one to crab, but the fact that they're holding it May the 4th/Free Comic Book Day weekend, in addition to saying that we may lose our nice spot for our fan table in the foyer area FOREVER (Kim's words at the meeting this past weekend) since we aren't committing to be there all three days this year and they wanted to stick us in the back hallway after we offered to come back despite the busy weekend, and now having the SW panel presentations by Mr. Billy Dee Williams and Mr. Clone Wars Darth Maul - Sam Witwer on Sunday when many SW fans will be at WOTR or other events...this all just adds up to not nice feelings on my part towards Starfest. I'm trying not to take it personally, but it's pretty hard to swallow the treatment this year.

Dark Crafty likes this.
  14. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    I have a feeling Starfest doesn't really care there is another event(s) going on and may have scheduled it like this on purpose. Really sad because it will only look bad on them when it's half full because all the SW fans are doing community work since it is our day and we want to spread the love.

Yes I said that, but didn't say they said that. In January we talked about it and I said, if we DON'T get a table it could interfere with future con set up. Everyone said it was okay.

For now Meet Up is working so well for us.

15. Nerfherders

Apr 26, 2002
    Well to be fair last weekend is their usual slot and Easter fell on it, which is unusual for Easter to be that late. It's possible this was the next best date for them and the venue. I could see them having to decide between this coming weekend and next, and choosing next because of Comic Book/ Star Wars Day. They might not have understood the ramifications of choosing that weekend when they chose it (which was before Starfest last year, because it was printed in the schedule.)

16. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Starfest has dates set-up with the hotel years in advance...when they put this date in 7 years ago...we were not celebrating May the 4th...so there wasn't a conflict. They could NOT change the date even if they had wanted to.

Yuri1138 likes this.
  17. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    If Billy Dee Williams is half full, count me in! I hate crowds and people in general. Which is the number 1 reason why I've never been to Starfest

18. Yuri1138

Yuri1138 Jedi Knight

Dec 29, 2009
    Starfest is pretty fun, in my opinion. Ive gone there several years. I like going for the autographs, costumes and drinking lol.

DieWompRatDie and SITH__CHICK like this.
  19. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

You'll fit in well here, Yuri1138...

FanForced, he-guy and Yuri1138 like this.
  20. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    And that's why we have all gone for so many years. I love Starfest. I've had a great time there, and always looked forward to it. But over the last 5 years or so, it seems like the experience either isn't getting better, or is getting worse. The hotel staff certainly can't stand us, and the location is stagnant with no room for growth.

Then, putting all of the SW stuff on MT4th, knowing we are all going to be gone just doesn't sit right.

I'm hoping next year will be better. As it is, I'll still show up for a bit, have some fun... but Starfest is no longer the #1 game in town.

21. Nerfherders

Apr 26, 2002
    Anyone know what the dates for Starfest are next year?

22. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

According to nnaydolem they have the dates for the next 6 or 7 years at least, right?

23. Dark Crafty

Apr 21, 2013
    Let me know if I need to bring anything, Ill be there all weekend!

DieWompRatDie likes this.
  24. catz44

catz44 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    We were planning on going to this but our tv died so we had yo spend the money saved for this on the new tv :(. On the plus side we have a nice new tv....

25. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Yep...and it is the same weekend of Celebration. they are aware...i mean IDK i have a blast at starfest...i have been on the registration staff for the past 5 years. I think they did the best they could with what they had to work with...at the end of the day, we all love scifi and star wars and i think that it isn't a us verses them mentality by ANY means. this year w (and apparently next) just is really bad timing. and at the end of the day, they have to make money to cover the cost and have a bit for next year. I know for a fact they do not make ANY profit so to speak...it is all used for the convention. that's just my personal take on things.