main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Indy 4 that bad?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by skywalker_san, Mar 12, 2011.

1. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I really love the music in KOTKS!

Gobi-1 and darkspine10 like this.
  2. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Short answer - yes

Longer answer - yeeeessss

I coiuld barely sit through it

3. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    While interesting, it could turn really bad. Indy is still a ladies man. Without knowledge that he even has a daughter, and her thinking Collin Williams is her father, that quicksand(or was it dry? Lol) conversation with Marion could turn really awkward this side of that Luke/Leia kiss, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Short answer: No it's fine

Long answer: Has good action, some cool homages, felt like it fit the period(fifties Cold War), didn't mind Lebouef at all, and liked it.

PCCViking likes this.
  5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    My only complaint was that Indy's retinue was a bit too big. Well, that, and I've never been a big fan of Marion. Aside from that I thought it was really fun. The alien motif and Mutt as a greaser were brilliant ideas.

darkspine10 likes this.
  6. mJedi775

mJedi775 Jedi Knight star 2

May 18, 2013
    Still liked it better than TOD. Supposedly the Nuke the fridge scene was a homage to Spielburg's original time machine in Back to the Future.

7. redinight

redinight Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 15, 2001
    No, it's not that bad. It suffers from the same prequel issues; expectations and different execution. It's nice that it tries something different with the mcguffin. It fits the times.

StarGuppy likes this.
  8. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I've never liked Indy being a ladies man, it makes him seem unlikable in my perspective. I prefer a consistent love interest, or at least a good reason why the others aren't around (Willie, Marion).

I'm glad Indy and Marion married in Crystal Skull, I wouldn't want it to be just another relationship that will end by number 5.

Iron_lord and CaptainHamYoyo like this.
  9. Jedi Master Chuck

Jedi Master Chuck Jedi Master star 2

Mar 19, 2013
    I really enjoyed the fourth movie. The fridge scene was silly, which does break my suspension of disbelief a bit. But otherwise, I still thought it was a really good movie. When I first saw it, before I turned to the internet, I know my impression leaving the theater was very positive.

10. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I avoided all spoilers before seeing KOTCS and I left the theatre extremely disappointed.

11. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    I wouldn't say it's a bad movie, but it is pretty dull in my opinion. I tried watching it on TV years ago, and couldn't make it through the whole thing. Haven't seen it since.

12. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015

My girlfriend and I had the same experience. She had never seen any of the Indy films. She really enjoyed the first three, but we never finished KOTCS.

TheMoldyCrow likes this.
  13. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Nah.

It's goofy, but not considerably more than any of the other films. And Irina Spalko is the second best Indy villain behind Belloq.

14. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    It's not bad, but it could have been much much better.

Ditch Marion and Mutt. Make Indy actually shoot some bad guys. Harrison was in good shape, he could have seen more action.

15. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    The best part of Indy 4 is Cate Blanchett's character. Darabont's draft was OK, but his villain was dull and uninteresting. (That character basically became Mac in the film we know.)

16. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Is Indy 4 that bad? I don't remember, but I have zero interest in watching it again to get the answer. It being bad can only be a good thing. It sets up the pattern that Indy 5 will be good.

17. Nibelung

Apr 18, 2017
    I thought that only applied to Star Trek films. :p

Tosche_Station and PCCViking like this.
  18. StarGuppy

StarGuppy Jedi Padawan

Jul 27, 2017
    I absolutely loved Crystal Skull. It was like visiting old friends again after a long absence. But even with all the sentiment aside, it was a really fun movie. It had an intricate plot and the sci-fi aspects were not an easy thing to fit into the more terrestrial subject matter often associated with Indy. But it was all done rather nicely. The best thing about it was that Marion was back. She is THE Indy girl and I'm glad Spielberg didn't insist on Kate Capshaw because of any bias for his real life wife. Don't get me wrong, I love Kate, but Karen Allen is the one for Indy. Shia Labouf was okay, but I really loved George's idea of Indy having a spitfire daughter. That would have been so fun and fresh.
    The fridge scene seems to be the point of a lot of controversy because it's too improbable. I think that's part of the fun. In Temple of Doom when Indy's mine car goes flying off the tracks and across a wide gap only to land perfectly on the continuing tracks on the other side, it's a source of good humor and fun. It's not supposed to be realistic and it could have been cut altogether. They put it there because it was entertaining. Indy, like the James Bonds of old, are supposed to be a little bit fantastic and push the boundaries of belief because they're like comic books. They should never be taken too seriously or lose any of that sense that these are strictly for entertainment purposes. As great entertainment, this movie delivers.

19. Nibelung

Apr 18, 2017
    It's worth pointing out there is an alternate Indiana Jones canon available: the 1990s bookends from the original TV airings of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. 93-year-old Indy has an eyepatch, a cat, and a red-headed daughter... and no Mutt in sight.

20. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    I haven't watch it yet, but people seem to complain about these "intradimensional beings" created by George. I can see why people hated this decision since IJ is not a sci-fi...

But the jungle chase is pretty cool, I recently watched a clip. Good directing, Spielberg!

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I thought the aliens fits the 50s alien invasion movie time period. And the fact that everyone is scared of Communist infiltration which Indy writes off as bogus but it turns out they're totally actually attempting Communist Alien Mind Control, which is pretty much the worst pulp story fear from that era.

22. DJT

DJT Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2017
    I like the film until the part with the aliens. Totally out of place.

Visivious Drakarn likes this.
  23. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    There are no aliens in Crystal Skull. They're inter dimensional beings.

darkspine10 likes this.
  24. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I feel the same way these days. It's fun, pure and simple.

25. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    The only part I like is the entire Peru sequence. The rest is awful.