main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is it illegal to be a Sith Lord?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by IliveinHoth, Jul 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    He blows up Alderaan because it was a seedbed of traitors and guerilla
    subversivs. Alderaan was self defense.

Gov Tarkin, a non Sith, blew up Alderaan. We dont know if it was with Palps approval or not. I can see where Palps could have been mad about that.

Palps: Tarkin, you idiot. That was one of my good planets. Why didnt you blow up that hunk of junk one, Dagobah. :p

2. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    But would the Jedi have the right to intervene based solely on Palpatine's behavior?

Well i see it this way, They have a confession from Palpatine to Anakin that he is a SITH, they know now that he is behind everything, including the war. I think that this line: "In the name of the Senate of the Galactic Republic, you are under arrest". is a clear indication of his authority. he must have the right to act in the Republics best interest during such times.and by that point Palpatine had commited murder against Jedi, that is all Mace needs

3. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Right, right. Exactly my point. BECAUSE Palpatine is a Sith, that gives Mace
    the authority.

If you remove the Sith part, Mace doesn't.
    Therefore, it DOES become relevant that Palpatine's identity as a Sith alone,
    his behavior notwithstanding, becomes the basis of Mace's authority to
    intervene.

4. Deek

Deek Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    So effectively Mace is like Torquemada
    [image=http://www.ronaldbrucemeyer.com/rantpix/torquemada.gif]

5. TheCRZA

May 29, 2005
    Nope. Torquemada was successful.

auto defe, what's auto-de-fe?

it's what you ought not to do, but you do anyway.

6. Deek

Deek Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    Good point.

7. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Wow, I go to work and then to a party and come back and this thread has really grown! Really good points being made on both sides, which makes being a member of this geeky cybercommunity so fun.

Well, I am man enough to admit when I am wrong. I just checked the script. In the script, a higher version of canon, Anakin in fact says the same thing that Mace says in the novelization: "You're a Sith Lord," not "You're the Sith Lord" as I incorretly remembered. If it had been the latter, this implies that Palps is the villain behind everything, grounds enough to arrest him. But Anakin says the former, which simply identifies Palpatine. And that is enough for Anakin, who earlier considered spying on the Chancellor treason, to pull his sword on Palpatine. This does not bode well for advocates of Palpatine's having the legal right to be a Sith in the Republic.

As for Palpatine's lines in the novel, so what? This guy knows how to lie and manipulate. Like a good sophist, he makes his being a Sith a philosophical position and thus defensable. If that is the case, then why do Anakin and Mace consider that enough to arrest the Chancellor? They cannot be ignorant of the Constitution that they have sworn to uphold. Even when Mace changes his mind about arresting Palpatine and chooses to kill him, it is not out of ignorance of what is legal. Thus, it appears that from both the script and the novel that it is illegal to be a Sith.

8. TheCRZA

May 29, 2005
    Same here. If Palpatine had done everything the same and NOT been a Sith, someone
    other than the jedi would have dealt with it. All things being equal, the authority
    Mace summons is the age-old acrimony toward Sith. Had Palpatine done none of the
    things he'd done and still been a Sith, the confrontation would have been similar.

9. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    I just checked the script. In the script, a higher version of canon,

Its not a higher version of canon. The script is different from the final edited version of the movie. Its just a good reference for the lines that do still remain.

If that is the case, then why do Anakin and Mace consider that enough to arrest the Chancellor? They cannot be ignorant of the Constitution that they have sworn to uphold. Even when Mace changes his mind about arresting Palpatine and chooses to kill him, it is not out of ignorance of what is legal. Thus, it appears that from both the script and the novel that it is illegal to be a Sith.

Only illegal from the Jedi point of view. They dont feel the Sith have a right to exist. The question is, is it illegal in the GFFA Senate constitutional law ? I wouldnt think so. And yes, they CAN be ignorant of the Constitution that they have sworn to uphold. After all, the situation hasnt come up in a thousand years.

10. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Since a Sith was the head of the CIS and they discover that Palps is one as well, they can charge him with all sorts of war crimes. It just would have sound silly if they read off every charge they can put on him and then they start fighting.

11. PADMELUVA

PADMELUVA Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    voodoopuuduu

"the more you tighten your grip tarkin the more star systems will slip through your fingers"
    princess leia is confidant that the harsher the empire becomes, the harder the systems will fight

"no star system will dare opose the emperor now!"
    so i guess that implies many star systems are already opposing him?

"fear will keep the local systems in line"
    that line speaks for itself

"if word of this gets out it could generate a sympathy for the rebellion in the senate"
    even the courrupt power hungry senators are coming to their senses. yes perhaps its because they have been stripped of their influence, but im sure there stil exist senators like mothma and organa who pursue democratic power because it avoids the abusive powers of a dictatorship.

and are you kidding about cloud city?

it was in a system far beyond the reach of the empire, and look what happens when its garrisoned:

"the empire has taken control of the city, and i advise everyone to leave before more imperial troops arrive"

*everyone runs their little asses off* the people of cloud city, obviously didnt want to be occupied by the imperials. i wonder if it has to do with its draconian practices?

12. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    Being a Sith per se may not be illegal, but I'm pretty sure
    fraudulent behaviour [Palps], enslaving, oppressing, murdering
    and blowing up planets if against the law ;)

13. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    Palpatine makes out in the novel that it isnt illegal, yet, then again, thats coming from Palpatine.

14. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Palpatine makes out in the novel... :confused: Did I miss something....:p

15. PADMELUVA

PADMELUVA Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    yes it was with shaak ti, when she tries to secure him in his bunker

"ive...never been so...so drawn to ....a jedi master....your so beautiful"

"your excellency?!?! are you trying to get under my robes?"

16. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    Palpatine makes out in the novel... Did I miss something....

Yeah...didnt you hear about him and Mas Amedda?

17. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    According to Steve Sanweet of LFL, the script is a higher version of canon than the novels. However, you are right, it is a good reference for lines that remain, such as Anakin's "You're a Sith Lord." This was in the film, and thus trumps anything not in the film, be it the script or the novelization.

Even so, it is enough for Anakin that bc Palps is a Sith Lord, that is enough to arrest him. In fact, even though Palps is pretending to have the high ground when he agrees that Anakin's arresting him is the right thing for Anakin, we have a totally different Palpatine than in the scene in the novel when says he is protected by the constitution.

Finally, the Jedi have the power to arrest, they defend the Republic, and thus they must know if what they are doing is constitutional or not. And if the situation has not come up in a thousand years, then it should be easier to remember that sole, fundamental precedent, as opposed to have to remember tons of precedents within that millenium.

18. WedgeFitso

WedgeFitso Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    Actually Espaa, it doesn't matter if Mace and Anakin used "the" or "a" due to the fact that there is only one Sith Lord left in the galaxy. Both words would make the sentence have the same meaning.

"Gov Tarkin, a non Sith, blew up Alderaan. We dont know if it was with Palps approval or not. I can see where Palps could have been mad about that."

Yes and Hitler didn't know about the Holocaust. Wasn't Vader there to make sure that Tarkin didn't do anything the Emperor would dissaprove of?

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    One thousand years ago, the Sith had control over a sizeable portion of the galaxy and had everyone therein, under a rule of oppression. The Jedi Order, working hand in hand with the Republic of that era, fought the Sith Empire. It was a full scale war that ended with the destruction of the Sith Order, save for Darth Bane. The Jedi helped to unite the galaxy, creating the Galactic Republic that stood for a thousand years. By ROTS, the Sith are controling the Senate and Mace Windu has to arrest him for war crimes. There are only two Sith Lords. A Master and an Apprentice. Dooku's dead. That leaves Darth Sidious. They've found him. Now they have to arrest him. But Palpatine forces Mace to kill him. As Mace realizes, the system is too corrupt. Palpatine would never get a fair trial, because he can buy off anyone easily.

If Palpatine wasn't a Sith, the Jedi still have the recourse to remove him from office. Because before they found out, they were discussing removing Palpatine from office and doing what they must to secure a peaceful transition. However, they were willing to let Palpatine hand over control voluntarily first. That's what Mace was going to do. Report to Palpatine about the death of Grievous. Palpatine has no recourse but to hand control back over to the Senate, as he said he would.

20. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    This really has become a thread much better suited for Saga. I'm moving it there. :)

21. IliveinHoth

IliveinHoth Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 22, 2002
    I need to clear something up

R4P17DC
    Is it illegal to be a Sith Lord?
    Only in Alaska. Heck, there's farms there full of the devil's dandruff.

There are no dandruff farms in Alaska, they were abandoned long ago by the rebels, when they left here after the Empire invaded (See ESB).
    Also - Sith Lords run this whole place.

In regards to the posts stating Palpatines links to Sidious = Darth Mauls'Master = Dookus'Master = the Sith Lord behind the civil war:

We need to remember some important points:
    1. The courts won't have access to the six DVD special edition until November, and by then it will be too late.
    2. Most of the people who could make "some" of the connections (only a confession from Palpatine himself, or the aforementioned DVD set could spell it all out)are a.)dead (Maul, Dooku), or b.) scheduled to be dead (seperatist leaders, trade federation)
    3. I believe GL has patterned the republic government loosely after the United States, including incompetent judicial system. In AOTC it was pointed out that Nute Gunray was sailing scott free through numerous trials. If he couldn't even be convicted of attempted murder of two jedi, murder of two republic pilots, and destruction of republic property with Obi-wan as the star witness then that says all we need to know about the republic judicial system. So, it would have been, "I didn't have sex with that woman , Miss Lewinsky," one day and, "that depends on what your definition of "is" is" the next for Palpatine. A few blown up asprin factories and they would have forgotten all about it.

So, my original question was "Is it illegal to be a Sith?", none of the other crimes would have really been prosecutable.

22. IliveinHoth

IliveinHoth Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 22, 2002
  23. JediLiberator

JediLiberator Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2004
    Actually wouldn't being a sith lord fall under crimes against civilization? Commiting atrocities on a galactic scale and so forth...

24. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    In a joint statement issued today by Darth Tyranus, nee Count Dooku, (in ghost form) and Darth Vader, nee Anakin Skywalker, they answered the most frequently-asked question in the new Empire, "Is it illegal to be a Sith Lord?" The Sith Lords answered, "Not for a Jedi."

25. TheLightSide

TheLightSide Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2005
    It's probably not illegal to be a Sith Lord in the Republic, just like it's not illegal to be a Devil Worshipper in our USA. They both do end in the same way. Having the Entity / Being that controls the Galaxy eventually eliminate you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.