main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is it really Lucas' fault?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by ST-TPM-ASF-TNE, Jul 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediSpeedos

JediSpeedos Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2002
    TPM and AOTC are prequels, after all. It shouldn't be a massive surprise that some of the characters are younger than their adult personas from the OT. Why Star Wars has changed because Lucas is following the story without cheapening the history of these characters is something I don't recognize. The idea of the prequels has never been an obstacle for my continuing love and enjoyment of the saga. I suppose if Lucas wanted to copy the OT's penchant familiarity, he should've skipped on the entire prequel debacle and produced Episodes VII-IX. That's certainly not a criticism on Lucas' part, as I'm quite fond of the prequels thus far.

2. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Star Wars hasn't changed. They have.

No.

3. starwarsfan182

starwarsfan182 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 2002
    ST-TPM-ASF-TNE if you look at the commentaries on the TPM DVD on the first one you see GL take out a notebook with the stories and stuff from all his past movies and also of the PT and it has all the information of basically wut the PT is gonna be about.

4. Lightsabel2

Lightsabel2 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Who here thinks GL is in it for the money? A few of my friends brought arguement to me. I argued against it but I'd like to see what you guys think. For example the movies are rated PG. How dark can EPIII be with a PG rating?? I figured he does it so he can everyone experience his movies, but they think its so more people can see his movie (hence more money)

Oh wellz comments appreciated.

5. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Who here thinks GL is in it for the money? A few of my friends brought arguement to me. I argued against it but I'd like to see what you guys think. For example the movies are rated PG. How dark can EPIII be with a PG rating?? I figured he does it so he can everyone experience his movies, but they think its so more people can see his movie (hence more money)

GL has over 3 billion dollars. Anybody who thinks GL is just doing it for money doesn't know what they are talking about.

He makes the movies PG so they can appeal to larger audiences.

And going back to the idea that GL just does it for money, I'd like to bring up the companies he's started. He creates all kinds of technologies and companies for his own use, then just gives them away so other filmakers can use them. He's quite generous.

6. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    >>>Who here thinks GL is in it for the money?<<<

AOTC Price Gouging And Open Rebelion Against The Evil Lucas Empire. :p

I wouldn't go so far as to say that he made the PT for the money. Many creators love to go back and flesh out their stories or revist their characters out their own personal love for what they created. But you have to admit Georgie Boy loves to make money. This much is obvious when you look at his track record.

[image=http://www.vareseweb.it/cinema/personaggi/foto/george-lucas.jpg]
    "Yup, I'm sitting on a gold mine."

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

7. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    In the words of Sally Struthers: Would you like to make more money? Sure, We all do.

Lucas has always intended these films to be children's movies. You can get thematically dark without showing violence and gore. For him to suddenly make one episode out of the 6 as an "R" rated film would go against the style of the entire series.

Don't get me wrong, he is in it for the money too, but first and foremost in his mind is telling a great story. He figures he will make more money by making good movies.

8. YodaYodaBinks

YodaYodaBinks Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    The only people who think Lucas is ONLY in it for the money are the ones who don't like the PT or don't like Star Wars in general. It's another chance for them to throw an insult at the flanneled one.

9. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "He creates all kinds of technologies and companies for his own use, then just gives them away so other filmakers can use them. He's quite generous."

one of the funniest and most untrue thing ive ever seen posted on these boards.

he just gives them away. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

10. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    >>>Who here thinks GL is in it for the money? A few of my friends brought arguement to me. I argued against it but I'd like to see what you guys think. For example the movies are rated PG. How dark can EPIII be with a PG rating?? I figured he does it so he can everyone experience his movies, but they think its so more people can see his movie (hence more money)

Oh wellz comments appreciated.

Well, as far as the ratings go, in teh UK they've always been rated "U"- Universal; suitable for all. Because they are all, essentially, kids films.

All, that is, except for Attack of the Clones, which was rated PG- one rating up. (Maybe it was so all the Jar Jar fan's parents would have to buy a ticket too? Now there's a conspiracy theory for ya...)

Mind you, if I ran a bunch of companies and had employees to pay as well as children to feed, I'd be pretty worried about the financial side of my affairs...

Although, if I'd made the most profitable film of all time (in terms of money made compared with money spent) and then used the profits to make a) Star Wars b) start ILM, c) re-invent editing (ie. EditDroid, which got sold and became AVID, the first non-linear editing suite), d) improve cinemas around the world (ie. THX) and whatever else he did with it (Lucasfilm, Lucasarts, Lucas Learning etc.), then I probably would have got a team of accountants to deal with it all for me...

>>>Unless you want me to bring up Howard the Duck and RadioLand Murders, two egregious misfires and the butt of many jokes.

I [face_love] Howard the Duck.

Haven't seen Radioland Murders though...

11. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    SomeRandomNerd: The Radioland Muders is actually very good, that's if you're into the sort of humour that's in the Marx Brothers films. It's also, rather strangely, a prequel to American Graffiti, as the two main characters in it are supposed to be the parents of Richard Dreyfuss's character in the film. Odd, that!

12. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    ""Because he is such a control freak now. When you abandon most of the great people that got you there, this is what you get in the end: TPM and AOTC.

Lucas talks about the boot lickers in jedi that are servants to the emperor and Vader despised of them.

The funny thing is Lucas now plays the role of the emperor and all his servants help him make bad movies.""

Who says they are bad movies? More people think they are good than bad, you know. And I think tehy're great. And I also think that Lucas has been putting alot of effort into this, He truly knows what he is doing, it's like making movies taking lace in the midievil times...in the prequel trilogy everyone talked very precise, very royal, then in the second trilogy everyone goes back to regular yknow accents kinda that we have now, since in the second trilogy everything's screwed up by the empire. If you don't like star wars anymore than just say it, quit blaming Lucas for everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.