main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Is it would be profitable to continue post ROTJ legends for Lucasfilm?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Konrad Pietrzak, Mar 14, 2023.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Zannah and Cognus and the Rule of Two are about the only thing where the “we know the outcome” doesn’t apply. As it’s a thousand years to tell the “how” and “who”

You could do original stuff, I still want new Sith wars content. But if Legends was ever brought back-they wouldn’t dare risk such a venture on something obscure, or niche as “Sith warlord vs Jedi paladin in 1600 BBY in the outer rim”-though I’d read that.

Dawn of the Jedi is the only other timeframe in which you can do more. And that appeals to know one but the most committed of legends fans.

Golbolco likes this.
  2. I think there are some Stories that they can make now that Dark Horse is making Star Wars Comics again they could continue Legacy Volume 3 to close the Story of Darth Talon and the surviving Sith of Darth Krayt and why not? you could go beyond to the Future since Legends its an Alternative Universe to Disney Universe you could make a Darth Plagueis Novel Prequel with Darth Tenebrous as a Protagonist

Dark Horse could do Sequels to Dawn of the Jedi and make a Story about how the Republic was created or how the Je'daii Order became the Jedi you could do more Stories about Old Republic Characters like Marka Ragnos, Freedon Nadd or Naga Sadow after Tales of the Jedi Comics KOTOR 3 is practically SWTOR but i think there may be a Pre SWTOR Story you could Resurrect the Nomi Sunrider Novel since we dont know what happens to Nomi or Vima Sunrider after Tales of the Jedi Comics where are they during KOTOR Games? i think the Old Republic Era in Legends could have a lot of content that you can create also for the Post Fate of the Jedi and Crucible Era

For Video Games i think that if KOTOR Remake comes out and is successful we can see more Legends Video Games with Remakes maybe the Jedi Knight /Dark Forces Saga can have a Remake or Republic Commando Game Marvel and DC are still going with their Comics and the Universes of the Comics are different Universes from the Movies Universes i think it would not be different for Star Wars with Legends and New Canon but well i can Dream

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2023
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    For the KotOR Remake it's when, not if.

4. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Post-RotJ Legends? Nah, I'm sure the people who make those decisions are glad to have the weight of that continuity off their shoulders. Even big EU fans seem split on their enthusiasm about the LotF/FotJ end of the Legacy era.

Now the post-RotJ era can produce tie-in material for several TV shows currently airing. The books aren't just products themselves, they're also part of the marketing for The Mandalorian etc.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  5. There are some Fans who like Legacy of the Force there are some Fans who like the Disney Sequel Trilogy personally i like both i like both Star Wars Universes i would like to Continue Post Fate of the Jedi/Crucible Era

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2023
  6. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I want to see more of the Hundred Year darkness. For being such a pivotal event in Jedi history, we didn't see much of it in Legends.

Darth Invictus likes this.
  7. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I agree. Its shown a little in the comics. But for the founding of the Sith as an order, it never got the love or attention it deserved.

A good writer could have done a lot with the less advanced technology, as well as the force alchemy-plenty of interesting possibilities for how the force might have been used by the schismatics, to shape and transform life in particular.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
  8. iFrankenstein

iFrankenstein Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2020
    There are some who like neither (me) but I’d still like to see a final EU novel written with the knowledge that it’s the final EU novel. It doesn’t need to be Sword of the Jedi or a bridge to Legacy or anything especially epic, I’d just want to read one final adventure with the post-ROTJ EU cast that closes the door in a satisfying way, like Luceno tried to do with TUF before it got ruined. Obviously getting someone like Stovee to write it would be a real coup, but the name on the cover doesn’t really matter as long as it’s done well.

Palp_Faction likes this.
  9. I have the impression that the EU/Legends Universe is not continued because the People who work at Lucasfilm nowadays for some reason hate the EU but from the Business Perspective continuing the EU is a Good idea as the EU Fans would be happy and Disney/Lucasfilm gets more Money Continuing the EU would not be Expensive not compared to making Shows or Movies with having New Novels it would be Fine i am sure that only a Niche of Fans continue to Read the Marvel and DC Comic Universes im sure most of the Money for Marvel and DC comes from the Movies Cinematic Universes so continuing the EU wouldnt be a Problem and it wouldnt be any different from Marvel and DC Comic Universes

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2023
  10. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    What makes you think that they hate the old EU? Honestly people saying that has always been one of the more baseless claims there is.

11. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Reboots always have a basis in deep-seated hatred, obviously.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The only thing reboots hate is planning. There's never a smooth transition of one to the other, it's always "OK, finish the stories you had planned for the next year by the end of the week."

QuinlanSolo and VexedAtVohai like this.
  13. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    According to Leland, the continuity did actually debate whether or not to reboot after the Disney acquisition. The only exact detail he gave on the negotiations was pretty interesting: apparently one of the big reasons the pro-reboot faction won was Chewie's death. They didn't want to have to tell movie-only fans (the vast majority) to read a twenty-year-old 400-page novel if they wanted to know where Chewie went, then two dozen more to get resolution to the entire plot his death was part of.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  14. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    That's a terrible reason. Characters die off screen during a time jump in movie series all the time, they don't owe anyone a further explanation than you can put in a line of dialogue in a movie. Don't get me wrong, I think reboot was the right decision, but I don't think that should be a reason that is the option they picked.

15. iFrankenstein

Apr 24, 2020
    Yeah it would have been a huge missed opportunity if Chewie wasn’t around in the ST to do nothing, apparently die, come back five minutes later, and continue doing nothing.

16. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Well, the comment didn't say it was the reason, it said it was one of the reasons why.

And I don't think "they could have put a line of dialogue in the movie" is all that convincing of an argument. People complained about Ackbar's death as well as Maz' "story for another time" not actually being a story being told in the movies, and those are rather irrelevant compared to explaining Chewie not being there. Could it have been explained, sure, but leaving him out would have served no purpose considering the EU-stories were never going to be the story they would tell. Lucas would have thrown out all of that stuff, and so did Disney.

As for the originial question: whether something would be profitable or not almost impossible to say as we have no idea of the costs involved. But there is zero reason for them to continue legends-stories that run contrary to the real timeline. You might see the odd re-release of an old favourite, or some older works being brought into canon because they sit in a place where they don't interfere with the main storylines, but they are not going to confuse people by releasing material that doesn't fit to everything else they are doing. Why bother when you can just tell new stories?

17. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    new stories over old will be told characters from legends will be folded back in and will be slightly different there is no reason to continue the eu .

18. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    And I said I agreed with the decision, as well. I just disagreed with that particular reason (which they said was the "tiebreaker") as being particularly compelling.
    And yet movies do it ALL the time. Think Indy 4 for example, I don't remember anyone complaining about that (although I personally thought it was unnecessary). "I wish Chewie was still with us" communicates that Chewie died without having to go read a bunch of books.
    I agree.
    I don't see a compelling need for them to create new Legends stories, have fully accepted that they won't, and have no idea if there are market benefits for them doing so; but I really don't buy that they would confuse anyone. What is the difference between a new Legends book sitting on a shelf next to canon books, than an old Legends book sitting on a shelf next to canon books? If they stopped printing Legends, than I might agree. But that isn't the current reality.

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    They haven't made any unabridged audiobooks for the last 2 Essential Legends Collections releases so I'm not holding my breath on new Legends releases

20. iFrankenstein

Apr 24, 2020
    This turned out to be not really true anyway. After the interview where he blamed the reboot on Chewie's death, Leland later tweeted: "Chewbacca and the Legends decision is my personal rationalization. The decision was made long before I joined the Story Group." So who knows what they really talked about behind closed doors. Pablo had been advocating for a reboot for years so I'm guessing there wasn't much of a long, impassioned debate between factions.

I don’t think they “hate” Legends like was mentioned above, or anything that extreme, but I also don’t think it’s hard to see why fans of that 38 years of material might feel like they’ve been given short shrift for the last decade.

"Hey guys, thanks for buying our books for the past 20+ years, which we've repeatedly told you are canon and won't reboot, but they were never canon so now we're rebooting. No, we won't finish the announced slate of future releases, or commission anything special to commemorate the end of the EU, we're just sweeping it under the rug and moving on to new books that actually are canon (trust us this time, unlike when we said it before, when you should not have trusted us). But be sure to check out the Essential Legends Collection, where we republish books you already own, only with worse cover art and for twice the price. No, we won't be including any new short stories or other bonus material, in fact we won't even include the old short stories that these books originally came with, but at least you can buy new unabridged audiobooks of novels that didn't have them before! Never mind, we're not doing that anymore. No, we can't explain why. But maybe we'll start doing them again someday. It's possible. Anything's possible, right? No, we've never heard of Supernatural Encounters, it's definitely not part of the EU. No, we don't have any plans to publish new Legends stories at this time, we're only focusing on canon material right now. But check out this non-canon novel Ronin! No, it's definitely not part of the EU. But here's Marvel #108, which is part of the EU... sort of. Don't get too excited though because it sold horribly, which just goes to show that people aren't interested in Legends, so we have no financial incentive to make more of it. You're asking if the KOTOR remake will be Legends or canon? Doesn't this vaguely worded press release make it obvious? Sorry, we're contractually obligated not to be any clearer. Thanks for your interest in our out-of-print young readers material, though, but it's unlikely that we'll ever reprint it. No, we can't explain why. Why would you think we hate the EU? Hate is a human emotion, we're just PR spokespeople trying to sell a product to the greatest number of consumers. Sure, Son of Dathomir can be part of the EU, why not? Canon isn't real anyway, all that matters is if you enjoy the story, right? No, we don't have any plans to publish new Legends stories at this time, why do you ask?"

Generally I think they'd be better served just not responding to questions they're unable or unwilling to give a complete answer to, rather than offering some vague and evasive non-answer and then ignoring the logical follow-up questions. If you're going to ignore the follow-ups anyway why not just ignore the original question as well? You're only adding more fuel to the fire. It took a while but Leland eventually figured this out, that's why he deleted his Twitter.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That's an excellent summary of the sheer smokescreen engaged and maintained by LFL.

Thing is though, by the time the great reboot hit SW, I had seen enough other reboots to know exactly where things would go. And it played out exactly like I expected to with books suddenly either axed or transferred, good comics stupidly curtailed. I certainly had no expectation that any kind of continuation would happen.

iFrankenstein likes this.
  22. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    well, technically they can't officially end Legends so long TOR is running still... though, once that one bites the dust in the far future, maybe they are more inclined to do a special Legends Endgame scenario not only for TOR but also some other Legends stuff alongside?

23. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I know for a while we all told ourselves the EU/Legends was canon-canon, but since the reboot I've been paying closer attention to the forward to the first edition Dark Empire tpb by Kevin J Anderson. He basically told us in 1992 that none of those stories were Canon and if George ever started making movies again he wasn't bound by them and likely wouldnt use any of it. Well, George made the PT and used odds and ends background trivia and some names, but he completely up ended what we thought the Jedi were, what the Clone Wars were and the origin of Boba Fett. He kept doing that when he started TCW. His ST treatments were definitely not beholden in any way to the EU, and Disney followed his lead.

LFL even gave us a whole tiered Canon approach that sort of formalized how it all worked, which none of us really seemed to quite understand. The reboot ostensibly did away with that whole structure while quietly maintaining the "movies and TV count more" rule.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    In the end it was all fundamentally dishonest, KJA had that in the DE but at the same time LFL was laying claim to it all being the continuation of SW. All of the smokescreens and complicated canon structures boil down to wanting the cake and eat it.

It wasn't just the PT with Lucas, Clone Wars is the example - Lucas gave the go-ahead for the 2002-2005 run then later steamrolls the entire thing. It's a crappy way of going on.

The LFL MO is: Sell stuff as X, knowing later that X will be ignored, replaced or disregarded. No one else trolls their consumers in this way. Trek says the books don't count, DC has continuity in flux, Marvel a sliding scale for character origins and very flexible time.

It was what I hoped Disney would change, have a clearer, better approach. Instead it's the same old haze with a new paint job and the same failure to both understand what they are claiming via their PR and manage the practical expectations that arise from it.

99 per cent of the time this idiocy doesn't stop me enjoying a good amount of current SW products. Pre-Disney it was higher. New Clone Wars was the only time I looked at it and went "nope" because I had enjoyed the 2002-2005 run so much. It was Lucas trashing an actual success, but this is the same guy who did those final edits for a Blu-Rays, including the one where he wrecks the scene when Vader kills the Emperor.

I still think much like Trek had to move on from Roddenberry so too does Wars need to move on from Lucas. That's not on the cards for a while.

25. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I’ve been seeing Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau give interviews lately and they’ve repeatedly brought up how the work they’re doing is at least in part inspired by the old EU. Filoni elaborated a bit on this:

Now obviously Filoni has his own contentious history with adhering to what the EU established, so I’m not suggesting he’s this huge champion of it or anything. But his particular wording is interesting to me in that it suggests that to some degree the EU has had irrevocable influence on the narrative of Star Wars. And we’re probably getting to that point in time where that’s going to continue as newer filmmakers join the franchise.

I don’t know, I’m thinking out loud. But I find it interesting how despite George Lucas wishes, the EU can’t be entirely ignored and continues to have an impact.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023