main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Is it wrong to think Palpatine has a sense of humor?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by The Quintessential Jedi, Apr 5, 2022.

?

Does the Emperor amuse you sometimes?

1. Yes

59.4%
  2. Not at all

40.6%
  1. The Quintessential Jedi

The Quintessential Jedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2022
    Some of his lines and the delivery of those lines come off as somewhat amusing in ROTJ like he's trying to be subtly funny at times while keeping with the Evil presence he carries even Vader has zero humor.

Some examples...

(Smartass Palpatine)

"Your faith in your friends is yours"

"Oh I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive"

"About a great many thingsss" -Yes it sounds snakey to me lol

And also It might just be me but after a long time watching this he sounds like a kid with a big toy he can't wait to play with rather than a villain who's threatening to destroy everything in it's path.

"Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle station"

Oh and of course "Gooood" which is cheesy.

My favourite "Your feeble skills are no match for the Powah of the dark side"

Well there you go I didn't think he's amusing at all in the PT well other than cowardly begging "Please don't" to Mace before Anakin cut his arm off.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    well I don't think there was ever any doubt , he likes to sarcastically take-the-piss as well .

For me at the time it took a bit of getting used to since he seemed very different to the Emperor from ESB..

3. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    About half of those he's being funny on purpose, the rest he's just being overly dramatic.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  4. TFWBWYA

TFWBWYA Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 21, 2022
    Your question could infer he has a wicked sense of humour. lol

5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Having a sense of humor versus amusing me are two potentially different concepts. I have no idea of Palps can take or dish a joke but he amuses me in his nativity regarding the possibility that Vadar will turn on him when dealing with his son.

6. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Palpatine is campy in all his live-action appearances (perhaps save his hologram cameo in ESB). So yes, he has a sense of humor. He likes mocking Luke to try to make him angry.

7. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Of course he has a sense of humor. It's a very dark sense, though. He'd watch video of Alderaan being blown to pieces and quip, "Oh, that's gotta hurt!"

clone commander bossk likes this.
  8. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    this question is like asking

'does The Joker have a sense of humour and can I find it funny?'

well

yes...just because he is a bad guy doesn't mean he's void from having any.

and second, no it's not wrong, humour is subjective. Laugh at whatever you want.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
  9. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I think Sidious is subtle in ROTJ as opposed to how campy he can be in the prequels. Don’t get me wrong. He’s great in those. However, I quietly say, “Heh,” when he says things like, “Your faith in your friends is yours,” and, “Oh, I’m afraid that the deflector shield will be quiet operational when your friends arrive.” I mean, he was pretty scary when I first saw him as a kid back in the mid-1990s. Nowadays, he’s a reprehensible but amusing antagonist. Adults tend to develop a dark sense of humor. There are some things that Heath Ledger’s Joker says in TDK that amuse many of us, as well, and so it’s only natural that Palpatine would elicit a similar response.

10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    He doesn't amuse me. Mostly he just seems creepy to me, but there are moments in ROTJ where he makes me just want to punch him in the face:

"You will find that it is you who is mistaken, about a great many things."

and

"Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational, when your friends arrive."

Sadly TROS just ignored that part of Palpatine's personality, and just doubled down on the whole "evil" thing.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    Sarge and CampOfSorgan like this.
  11. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    It was a sadistic sense of humor but still humor. Personally, I've always found Vader far more intriguing as a villain that Palpatine.

12. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    And that’s makes sense because there are many sides to him. Palpatine may be nuanced in terms of his manipulations, but there’s not that much too him other than being a megalomaniacal sociopath.

13. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Sith Lords tend to be maniacs, so having a sense of humor in one form or another is included. They are often still confined to being like everyone else they aren't just black and white fictional beings. Sidious for example is still a human being once you strip away the god-like powers of the Force. Many heroes and villains in real world legend and mythology have good and bad traits . And even in some religions too much joking or laughter for the wrong reasons is or can be sinful.

14. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Sure he has a sense of humor. In fact he is one of the most comical characters in the entire saga [face_laugh]

15. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Of course he has a sense of humor. It's chiefly revolving around sadism and gloating over how feeble and weak.

Plus, he's a villain from the 1980s, back when villain characters were twirling their mustaches going, 'muwahahaha you feeble heroes will all die in my cunning, overly-complicated, elaborate trap and there's nothing you can do about it!! MUUUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!'

Only thing missing from Palpatine is a white cat for him to stroke that he calls 'Mr. Death'.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    clone commander bossk likes this.
  16. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    How is that a sense of humor from an objective point of view?

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    He's humorous from his own POV. I don't think he's funny, but that's not the same as having no sense of humor.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, from my point of view, the Jedi aren't funny!

Zyobot, Wu Wei Jedi and Sarge like this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Then you are lost! :obiwan:

Sith Lord 2015 and Wu Wei Jedi like this.
  20. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I tend to agree with IATC here, a rare occasion to be sure. Neither the Sith nor Jedi have a sense a humor and dont seem to be able to take a joke. Only Mandalorians have that unique trait. :boba:

21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold." Yeah, man, pure comic gold there. o_O:rolleyes:

22. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Euphemism for putting soldiers in the back of a C-130 on cargo nets? :cool:

clone commander bossk and Sarge like this.
  23. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Maybe "sense of humor" is not the right phrase. But villains can certainly be comical as well as evil. Now I'm not a Batman or superhero fan in the least, so I can't say much about the Joker. But considering the name, I do think he gets some laughs in the comics or movies?
    Or take Gollum. I can't exactly say he has a sense of humor, but some of the things he does and says are comical. "You ruins it!!" (rabbit in stew instead of raw), "fat hobbit so nice", - "so what HAVE you been doing?" (Sam) - "SNEAKING" (mocking Sam), etc. You can't tell me, despite his being creepy, nobody ever once laughed at what Gollum says. I know he is not the main villain, but he certainly is a minor one in the story.

Sarge likes this.
  24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    He's a troll, and he finds his trolling very amusing. So do I.

25. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    The way Palyps cackles in ROTS and ROTJ, he certainly has a sense of humor.