main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is Qui-Gon anyone else's favorite Jedi?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Arthurius, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Pretty much. Qui-Gon trying to scam Watto, overstates things.

If he'd said instead of "Republic credits will be fine" "Then you will hand the hyperdrive over to me for free" while waving his hand - then I wouldn't have any trouble seeing him as a robber, using the Force as his instrument.

But as it stands, it looks to me like he's trying to be as ethical as he can within the bounds of the situation.

2. Yes Qui Gon is one of my favorite characters and I would even dare to say that he has more charisma than any new character of the new trilogy lol

I would love to see a new book or comic focused on Qui Gon

3. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    On, I think, TPM Blu-Ray commentary, Lucas stated that Qui-Gon knows. However, at least at the time, the junior novel was worded in a way that emphasised that he didn't know. The adult novelization wasn't explicit one way or another as I recall.

It was Obi-Wan who was smirking most overtly during the "I am Queen Amidala" on Naboo scene - but again, the novel was clear that, at least until after they arrived on Coruscant, they didn't know.

I would guess that (at least in the novelverse, if not the Lucasverse) the moment Obi-Wan and Anakin first meet Amidala in queen robes, on Coruscant (after the Senate hearing), they guess. When they arrive at the landing platform though, it's still Sabe in queen robes talking to Valorum.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

The opposite, really. Qui-Gon gives Obi-Wan a really obvious "I told you so" look and smirks a little bit and Obi-Wan gives a sheepish look in response.

[​IMG]

Master_Rebado likes this.
  5. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Obi-Wan was like a brother to Anakin. But Anakin needed a father figure. Which was Qui-Gon.

[​IMG]

Remember what Anakin is saying about Obi-Wan ;

''It's all Obi-Wan's fault. He is jealous.''

People forgetting that Anakin had also problems about the Jedi Council but also with Obi-Wan. Especially when they send Obi-Wan to Grievous.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Fair enough - I was going from memory of lots of arguments with people insisting that scene proves Obi-Wan knew early.

7. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    [​IMG]

"I don't get the 'gray Jedi' thing. You're either a Jedi or you're not. It's like being a 'gray vegetarian' who eats meat."

"Biggest gripe about the Gray Jedi trope. The dark side comes at a cost. That cost has to be more than "It makes me a total bad-ass.""

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's vegetarians who are willing to eat fish meat, at least. And there's questions of whether animal products, like fish or eggs, count.

Continuing the parallel- when it comes to The Dark Side - the Jedi Council would be "vegans" whereas Grey Jedi would be like "vegetarians" or possibly even "semi-vegetarians" - willing to Use the Dark Side, but unwilling to Harm The Innocent.

9. theraphos

May 20, 2016
    [​IMG]

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Those people are not vegetarians, they are just picky with their food. If they are calling themself vegetarians then it's a question of
    [​IMG]

11. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Except what does that actually mean in practice?

12. theraphos

May 20, 2016
    [​IMG]

(My last screenshot for the thread, I swear.)

Gamiel likes this.
  13. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Obviously Jedi is being used as short hand for "force user" as opposed to Grey Jedi that are part of the traditional Jedi Order. Everything seems to point to Qui-Grey Jedi eventually leaving the order had he lived.

14. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Qui-Gon wasn't a "Gray Jedi." He was a truer Jedi than most of the other Jedi in the Order.

Erkan12 and heels1785 like this.
  15. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Semantics. Did Qui-Grey move away from the order or did the order move away from him? If you are a "good" Jedi, you follow the council.

[​IMG]

16. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I don't consider Qui-Gon a "grey" Jedi. I figure it's more something like denominational differences. In Christianity, it's like groups agreeing on basic concepts (like the Divinity of Christ), but having different approaches to worship (Is Communion celebrated with matzoh or regular bread?). By that reckoning, different groups of Jedi can agree on basic concepts (Light Side and Dark Side of the Force), but have different approaches to their service (Are all attachments forbidden?).

I think Qui-Gon adhered to basic Jedi doctrine, but was flexible in its application. I know this flies in the face of those who are more strict in interpretation, where it's all by the book or you're not a Jedi at all. But I'd say Qui-Gon, and later Luke, are clearly Jedi who depart from the PT standard.

17. zaphod67

zaphod67 Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2017
    Pescatarians are people who eat seafood but not other types of meat.

18. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Wrong, their sublight engines are fine. They can fly to any city on the planet or any planet in the system. Just another reason why their plan is such a bad one. They should've had multiple teams, say QG, Obi-Wan & Panaka going to different Tatooine spaceports. Increasing their chances of getting the parts.
    Getting back to the ship issue, QG would have no say in it. It's not his ship. Unless he plans to steal it from the Naboo & deliver it to Watto bcs of his shady bet. Wouldn't put it past him.
    Which is what makes QG's use of the queen's ship in his bet so outrageous. She'd have no obligation to hand it over, so they'd have to flee or evade the Hutts.
    So now there's currency exchange on Tatooine?? Interesting theory but that's all it is. It's just a way for you to try to avoid portraying QG as a swindler who'd leave a trader he just met with useless currency while making off with his valuable parts. Watto clearly says the credits are "no good" out here (on the planet). That's the fact told within the story. A fact you pointed out to me once when I said that it's absurd that Watto wouldn't accept all of those credits & whatever credits the queen has & the super fast pod for Shmi's freedom. Who's clearly a lower value slave than Anakin. One of your arguments was that credits are of no value to Watto. Now you're saying he can stroll down to the local Travelex & exchange it all! Thanks for now supporting that plothole ;)

19. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Hate to nullify your efforts, but you seem to be forgetting that Qui-Gon foresaw Anakin would win the podrace.
    So it doesn't really matter that the ship didn't belong to him because Watto would never get it. And Watto is the one who tries to back out of the legitimate bet when Qui-Gon wins.

20. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Where was that established in the movie? QG says “there’s something about” Anakin but I missed the scene where he has a vision of Anakin winning the race.

21. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    It's implied in several scenes.

Shmi: "He can help you. He was meant to help you." - Qui-Gon looks deep in thought.

OBI-WAN : What if this plan fails, Master? We could be stuck here for a very long time.
    QUI-GON : A ship without a power supply will not get us anywhere, and there is something about this boy...

WATTO : ...I want to see your spaceship the moment the race is over.
    QUI-GON : Patience, my blue friend. You'll have your winnings before the suns set, and we'll be far away from here.
    WATTO : Not if your ship belongs to me, I think...I warn you, no funny business.
    QUI-GON : You don't think Anakin can win?
    WATTO : Don't get me wrongo. I have great faith in the boy. He's a credit to your race, but Sebulba there is going to win, I think.
    QUI-GON : Why?
    WATTO : He always wins. (laughs) I'm betting heavily on Sebulba.
    QUI-GON : I'll take that bet.

WATTO : (Cont'd) (subtitled) Bonapa keesa pateeso, o wanna meetee chobodd. (Better stop your friends betting, or I'll end up owning him, too.) WATTO walks off, laughing.
    ANAKIN : What did he mean by that?
    QUI-GON : I'll tell you later.

Qui-Gon is referring to telling Anakin when he wins his freedom.

PADME : You've never won a race?
    ANAKIN : Well...not exactly...
    PADME : Not even finished?!
    ANAKIN looks sheepish.
    ANAKIN : ...but Kitster's right, I will this time.
    QUI-GON : Of course you will.

Several ALIENS leave Watto's box, laughing and counting their money. WATTO sees QUI-GON standing in the doorway.
    WATTO : You! You swindled me! You knew the boy was going to win! Somehow you knew it! I lost everything. WATTO flies up to QUI-GON and puts his face right up against QUI-GON's.
    QUI-GON simply smiles.
    QUI-GON : Whenever you gamble, my friend, eventually you'll lose. Bring the parts to the main hanger. I'll come by your shop later so you can release the boy.

He knew Anakin would win the race.

22. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I removed the rest of that information bcs it's largely irreverent. Qui-Gon sensed that there was "something" about the boy. Which gave him confidence in him. Faith in him may be a better term. So he "knew" he'd win only in the sense that he had that feeling. In SW though there's a distinction between that & actually seeing the future. Via a vision or dream. A premonition. The movie at no stage shows us that QG had a Force-vision or premonition that showed Anakin winning the race. If Lucas wanted us to see that he would've included it. He's done it elsewhere in the Saga. Actually I believe that your theory would undermine the situation. QG would no longer be acting on faith & belief, but wagering everything on Anakin bcs he knows Anakin will win. He saw it happen, just as Luke saw Han & Leia in pain in TESB. That's not what we're presented with. QG has a belief that it's the will of the Force for Anakin to win & help them & come with him to be trained as a Jedi. To him that's as good as "knowing". However, getting a sneak preview of the future removes that faith & belief element. I don't believe that was GL's intention. Probably why he didn't show that.

23. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    I would have to go with Obi-Wan, he's hilarious, good hearted, speaks his mind, uses methods not approved by the order and is a hilarious smart a$$.

I do enjoy Qui-Gon, but there's not have enough body of work to make him my favorite.

24. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Qui-Gon's not my favorite Jedi but he's definitely up there. He always does what he thinks is right and proves to be a nice counter to the rule-following Council once we get to Coruscant in TPM. I really hope we get to see more of him in the Kenobi film. It'd be a shame if all we saw of him in the new canon (media-wise) was TPM and some apparitions in Clone Wars.

25. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    While Qui-Gon's devotion to the living force was commendable (and his ascension into immorality ironic), he wasn't a very good master. Speculating here, but it wouldn't surprise me if Qui-Gon was also unable to prevent Anakin's fall. Every Jedi was headstrong to a degree and that hurt the Order as a whole. Even though Qui-Gon was more compassionate and less bound to the Jedi code than his peers. Jinn was arrogant too (Defying Council orders and edict, looking down at his apprentice, doing whatever he could to create the outcome he desired.) So Qui-Gon played as much a part in Palpatine's rise as the other Jedi and politicians did. Not much of a fan as I once was, but I understand and appreciate the character's role in the grand scheme of things. I like Neeson in the role, would be happy if he returned for the Kenobi movie.

Darth Downunder likes this.