main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Is R1 Your New Favorite?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Doom Trooper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    No matter how many times I re-watch the movie, I never get as excited about that scene as many in here do. Vader was really a side character in the entire story. That little scene wouldn't have made or broken the entire movie for me at all. I would've felt just as passionate about it without the scene as I do with it.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Vader finds your lack of awe disturbing. :vader:

3. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Bring him on
    [​IMG]

Darth Smurf and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  4. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Honestly, I would not have missed Vader in the whole movie.

5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I understood his presence was somewhat crucial to the timeframe of the movie; and since Palpatine wasn't there until the end, there had to be some hierarchy of power to put the dueling contrasts of Krennic and Tarkin in its place. As I mentioned before in the "Vader hall-scene" thread, I watched that scene just knowing we'd never heard the end of it from the Vader fanboys all over. The true ending of the R1 story to me was Death Star targeting Scariff. The Vader, Tantive IV, and of course Leia scenes were all mere tie-ins to ANH.

6. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    The RO Vader scenes were all excellent, IMO. My only real gripe is, unfortunately, his voice sounding off.

Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well James Earl Jones was around 40 years older since ANH was first released.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Darth Vader for whatever reason tinkered with the voice.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    ^Well, he was in a bacta tank session before Krennic came unannounced. Maybe his vocal chords weren't completely healed or something... That's my in-universe explanation.

And yeah, I know James Earl Jones is older, and that can't be helped. I want him to keep doing Vader's voice, but well... if it's off, it's off. Maybe they could do something in the sound editing?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Sarge and Force Smuggler like this.
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The irony is that in R1 they did edit in a new actress' voice for CGI Leia, right? Carrie was still alive when they were filming the movie.

11. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    ^I didn't know that... but I can see why. I wish they used a new actress too. The scene itself was a good way to end the film, but CGI Leia was... well... sometimes you just need to recast.

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  13. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s my unequivocal favorite so far. With ANH and ESB tied for a close second. Then Solo, then TFA/ TLJ (tied), ROTJ, TPM, AOTC and ROTS.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Vader's voice wasn't entirely consistent through the OT, either. In my headcanon, Vader is still the guy who likes tinkering with tech and building stuff, so between movies he was adjusting his vocal apparatus. Just like a stereophile trying to get the best sound out of his system.

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No need to recast. I think they simply didn't need to show her face. Just use that shot from the back, and have her say "hope" and then the ship zips away. Rogue One is my favorite Star Wars film, and I think Rogue One has the best ending of any Star Wars film, but I think it would have been slightly better if Leia's face hadn't been shown.

Togruta likes this.
  16. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    For me, I thought it pure magic to see Leia's face at the end. That said...

I would not miss Tarkin in the movie. If Tarkin had not been in it, the CG-face people could have spent additional time and effort on Leia's face, making it even better.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Tarkin worked better for me. I think it’s due to how bony and gaunt his face is. Easier to render convincingly than Leia’s comparatively more youthful and full facial features.

18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I loved them both...and actually wish they used some more OT characters this way in the future! [face_peace] I would have loved to see Obi Wan (AG) with Luke and Yoda in TLJ. This from a guy that HATES cgi.

TCF-1138 and Bor Mullet like this.
  19. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    I thought Tarkin was better, but a look-a-like could've worked too.

I really appreciate that they tried to remake the likeness of these original characters, but for any future appearances, unless the CGI is improved and it looks super convincing, I think they should just recast.

And if they recast... maybe try to get someone who looks like the original actor somewhat.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

Darth Smurf and Bor Mullet like this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ Is that the guy from the end of RotS?

22. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Ha! Of all the younger versions of established characters - That Tarkin (skeletor) from ROTS is the worst!

Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Absolutely. I laughed out loud the first time I saw him. And at the seriously underwhelming shot of the early Death Star. Compare that to the hugely imposing and realistic view of the Death Star from Tarkin’s window in Rogue One. Say what you will about Edwards, but he knows how to portray scale better than anyone.

Sarge and Avnar like this.
  24. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    I didn't think RotS Tarkin looked bad, and it's such a brief cameo anyway. And saying it's the worst?... I mean, have you seen TPM puppet Yoda?

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  25. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Atleast they replaced that Yoda puppet... [face_whistling]