main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Is R1 Your New Favorite?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Doom Trooper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Rogue One knows the truth. It’s the only Star Wars film since ESB, IMO, that was able to fully solve the difficult equation that makes Star Wars work.

2. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    Rogue One is definitely my favorite of the two Anthology films released so far.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Happily R1 has been on more often, and looks great on my 65" tv.

Bor Mullet and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    watching that edit makes me want to watch ANH again. There can only be one master. ^:)^

5. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    It succeeds brilliantly in complementing ANH without overwhelming it with snazzy CGI pyrotechnics. It also forms an excellent middle for a sort of 'bridging' trilogy composed of RotS, RO and ANH - I think they work well together. Just a damn shame the Rebellion formation scenes were removed from Sith, or it would work even better. Whisper it, but maybe some of the 20 or so ship-slowly-descends-onto-a-landing-pad shots could have been cut from the 2nd half of RotS instead...?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Watched it again last night. Each time, all over again, I can’t believe how good this movie is. It now sits comfortably for me as the best in Star Wars. ANH and ESB are right behind it, but the gap between them and RO is growing.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Watching ROTS + deleted rebellion scenes + RO + ANH is fantastic. They make their own, magnificent trilogy.

8. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    I really only have two complaints. 1) CGI Tarkin (and Leia). I just don't think they look real enough to justify their inclusion in the film and I find it very distracting. And 2) the score. I know that will be something we all have to get used to as John Williams retires his services to Lucasfilm. Otherwise, I thought the overall look and feel of the film was great.

christophero30 likes this.
  9. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    agree about the CGI Tarkin and Leia looked weird. But still a great film.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    StarYogi likes this.
  10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I thought Tarkin looked OK, but Leia looked a bit off. I think they should have just showed her from the back, since it was a quick scene, and she still could have given the great “hope” reply.

avcpl, Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  11. Eike Starseeker

Eike Starseeker Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 1, 2019
    RO is a scifi war drama, a really good one.
    It actually convinced me that Star Wars is not lost under Disneys rule.
    Still I had hope RO Team vs Vader would happen at the end, Chirrut vs Vader.
    But the slaughter of the rebels was fine too, the whole corridor scenes Is one of my favorite scenes.
    The CGI wasnt that bad, but they could have used Wayne Pygram again, he played Tarkin in ROTS.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Tarkin looks as good as you could possibly hope for. I barely notice that he's a CGI creation. I agree about Leia looking a bit off though. Honestly I think they should have gone the Marvel route with her and just had Carrie do it and then de-age her.

13. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    I was stunned by Tarkin. Only nitpick is the mouth, you can only really tell when he's talking. If they'd been a little more disciplined/less show-offy with the camera (ie. kept it further back), I think it'd be about as flawless as tech can get. The close-ups are just what gave it away.

Storm_Cloud, Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  14. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    Given the technology at the time (3 years is a long time in the field) it was a brave but necessary decision. A story with so much Death Star and no Tarkin, or a couple of cop-out hologram scenes, would have been worse. It's not perfect, but it didn't take me out of the story on that glorious first watch, so it was well worth it.

15. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    ...and he looked terrible! [face_whistling]

Bor Mullet, Sarge and TCF-1138 like this.
  16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I think the Tarkin-based CGI was the closest they could possibly get to matching the real Tarkin of ANH.

17. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Rewatched this. Could have used more humor (I mean that in an original trilogy bickering family sense), the plot's a little too convoluted, and it's too dark and gray visually.

Still the best Star Wars movie from an action standpoint

18. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Agreed! This is my favorite combination at the moment. [face_love] I tried it once and will definitely give it repeat viewings.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Rogue One is definitely creeping up there for me. For now, its number two, but each time I think of it I just want to put it at the top. The world building on display is on the same level as Lucas. And the look of the film. If I had my own way, every SW film from here on out would look just like RO. That final space battle over Scariff is truly incredible. The ships, particularly the Star Destroyers, are made to look like miniatures (even complete with the white colouring only found in ANH). It’s just phenomenal on every level. And the stakes in that final segment, both in space and on the ground. Everyone is up against it; you can just feel the sweat dripping. A genuinely, very good film. I'm proud, as a SW fan, to have it as part of our filmography.

20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Rogue One is the only Star Wars film, I’ve noticed, that people who don’t like the “cheesiness” of Star Wars seem to really like. Which means it taps into a new audience. A new quadrant. People who like high-quality genre stories. I think that LFL might have some data affirming that, which is why its first two live action TV shows (Mando and Cassian) seem to be clearly done in a more realistic style crafted by those who were essential to crafting Rogue One’s look (Greig Fraser). If Lucasfilm can capture the audience that is attracted to prestige genre television shows (like GoT, etc), then it could create a whole new life and a greatly expanded fandom that could launch this Star Wars era into the stratosphere.

anakinfansince1983 and Avnar like this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    If Lucasfilm can literally capture the audience, well, I'm afraid that would be illegal

Bor Mullet likes this.
  22. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Hire this man! =D=

I know I love this film to pieces because for every SW movie that comes out I always (even if I quite like the film) have at least 50 things I would completely change about them! With the OT and RO (if I was pushed) I would add a couple of little things here and there and that's about it. Boy I hope we get to see the deleted scenes one day... :deathstar:

23. BrotherKylo

BrotherKylo Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 30, 2017
    I am starting to enjoy the movie. Before I felt it was just bland and boring but now im accepting it and its connections.

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  24. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Rogue One maintains its spot so far as the Disney Lucasfilm Star Wars addition that I love the most. It has issues, and if it were up to me I'd re-write a vast majority of the third act, but it's still the film I feel most passionately about. It just truly nails the Star Wars feel the way the ST films don't in my opinion. The villains are threatening, there's real stakes and sacrifice, and there's also good humor inter spliced within the character interactions. It just really gets the mythical feeling for me. It really nails the "this universe is so much bigger than this singular story" feeling that the OT and PT had.

25. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Ah, nice to see this thread still going as while ESB will remain my personal favorite, RO remains special to me as I think it capture the feel of Star Wars better then the rest of the Disney films while still bringing some new aspects to the table. The delicate balance of being a gritty war film with a dark ending and still feeling like a Flash Gordan film serial like the other films is something I think will be hard to replicate in future endeavours.