main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Is R1 Your New Favorite?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Doom Trooper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I have trouble placing everything outside of the OT. They are all good, and for different reasons, and so they are hard to place in any order.

2. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I would say that, for me, Rogue One is the best-looking Star Wars film. It's definitely my favorite outside of the OT. TESB is my favorite of all, and I'm unsure whether or not I prefer R1 over ROTJ. That says it all.

3. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    It's not my favorite, but I like it a lot, even more than after the first few viewings.

It's interesting because I love the idea of the Anthology films, but for a while I felt that the distinction of R1 actually worked against it somewhat -- it's very mission-oriented and not as colorful as the rest, and so seemed less easily rewatchable. But seeing it again more recently, I found there's plenty to enjoy and think about, especially the character moments in and out of dialogue, and the dialogue itself (Tarkin, for example, has several gems). I also noticed how well the score meshes with the editing and action, like in the shuttle takeoff from Eadu. Two things I love about the ST, the in-atmosphere action and fullness of the sound, are on even greater display in R1; the ships seem more like real aircraft than ever. Seeing the Ghost in live action, however briefly, is still surreal.

Getting to the classically-Star-Wars set piece of a space battle, with all of the above established, is a very thrilling effect. Ranking on juxtaposition, I would likely put this film at the top.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Nothing will ever compete with TLJ. Rogue One is good though.

BrotherKylo likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Rogue One is my favorite Disney-era film by a long shot, ranks up with the OT overall.

Bor Mullet, MS1, EHT and 7 others like this.
  6. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Rogue One is my second favorite SW film, after Empire.

SateleNovelist11 and BadAcrobat like this.
  7. ralfyman

ralfyman Jedi Padawan

Jan 9, 2018
    They should get the team that made it to make the other SW films, as TFA and TLJ are at best mediocre.

8. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    In hindsight I have to admit that this is the best Disney era SW film to date. I really wish they would bring back Gareth and Tony Gilroy for another one of these but it doesn’t appear like it’s going to happen.

Bor Mullet and MS1 like this.
  9. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Like others I still rank ESB and ANH above RO, though the fact RO beat ROTJ for third place is still quite impressive in my book. The film just hits all the right notes for me as it has all the fun and adventure of a Star Wars film while also bringing something new to the table with it's boots to the ground perspective we've haven't seen yet in a Star Wars film. Despite featuring some fan service and cameos the film never becomes a complete nostalgia fest and truly adds something to the overall saga without it feeling like pointless filler. The characters, the story, the battles and the whole feel and look of the film creates a excellent and worthy addition to the Star Wars filmography.

Also the introduction of Raddus is a marvel of a character to behold.

La Calavera, BadAcrobat and Avnar like this.
  10. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    It’s my second, after TESB

What is amazing is that it has more Star Wars flavour than even ANH

Avnar likes this.
  11. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    It's probably my second favorite in terms of personal enjoyment. Definitely in the top five Star Wars features.

12. Merrick Simms

Merrick Simms Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2016
    For me R1 is episode 3.9 and definitely the best looking of all the films. Without the originals though it means nothing, so I still can't rank it above ANH or ESB. Up there with them for me though. The only disney movie I have mentally added to the saga.
    I think we are starting to see a deliberate split between the anthology films (for the old school fans) and the ST (meant for the new generation) IMO anyway.

Binary_Sunset and Snafu55 like this.
  13. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Easily my favorite of the Disney era. It's the only film I've added into my "binge the saga" marathon's I do. 1-3, R1, 4-6.

DarthKreVass, MS1 and Torib like this.
  14. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    Yes I think so. It did a perfect job of capturing that 'dirty, old, lived in' star wars feel that TFA and TLJ really hasn't. And I'm part of the minority (or silent majority) that really likes TFA and TLJ.

The thing that did it for me was the settings and background characters. I love me a cool alien and Rogue One had several prominent and several blink-and-you'll-miss-it alien characters that brought me back to that wide-eyed kid I was in the 90s when the special editions came out. In my humble opinion TFA and TLJ really haven't brought us memorable aliens (except for Abednedos, they are awesome) despite having quite a few opportunities in Maz's castle and Canto Bight. Here's hoping Solo and IX bring us to more populated locations brimming with alien cultures

Bor Mullet and Avnar like this.
  15. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    My favorite thing about Rogue One was how it made A New Hope even better by explaining the Death Star weakness. Such a fantastic idea!

16. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Rogue One is legit..!!!!!

MS1 likes this.
  17. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    Love it...love it...love it! My favourite Star Wars film, I love all the characters and it is put together so well. I watched it tonight (my 7th viewing) and it just gets better and better! [face_love]

18. Clint Bevis

Clint Bevis Jedi Padawan

Jan 16, 2018
    Rogue One is awesome and definately one of the better Star Wars films but I say that with an asterisk. The Saga movies are definately the main course, Rogue One is better than many of them but it lacks the Jedi / Sith / Force elements to push it up there in it's own right but that was what it was meant to be as an anthology film so full marks.

19. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Its hard for me to displace the OT as my top 3 SW films. Like many of us in here I gre up with them and they were a massive part of my childhood and are films I've probaly seen thousands of times. Therefore anything new is going to take a long time if ever to make it past those 3. However RO is easily my favourite outside of the originals, it did an excellent job of capturing the feel of the original SW in its look and aesthetic.But on top of that I enjoyed the story and the characters and since its release its been my go to SW film for repeat watching.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Sarge likes this.
  20. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    It is my favorite Disney era film to date.

In the rank the films thread in the Saga forum I had;

1. Empire
    2. Sith
    3. Rogue One

MS1 and grd4 like this.
  21. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Same here. It was difficult for me to decide for a while, but I think that's the case. ROTJ is great mainly due to Luke and Vader, but otherwise, it does not quite live up to R1's cohesive story.

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Every time I watch RO, I almost have to tell myself, "no no, self, listen, no movie can top ANH and TESB on our SW movies ranking list". I am almost at the point where RO could conceivably move into number 2 after ANH, which almost sounds crazy to me. I also think this reassessment of my rankings could benefit ROTJ (which mostly suffers from excessive ewoks syndrome and too much time spent at Jabba's palace, but benefits greatly from its space battles and the Luke/Vader/Palpatine payoff scene).

23. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    RO is a great movie!

Not only as a stand alone, but as a prequel to ANH and as a Rebels vs. the Empire era movie. It managed to bring something new, unique and fresh to the table (being in that regard the only Disney-LF movie to date), the characters and visuals also top the other two movies made in the last three years. It's a movie made in the best George Lucas tradition and it serves, to me, as a hint what would the OT look like had it been made today with some good, creative minds behind it.

It's not my SW favorite, despite having some moments that top the PT, but it's above the OT and way, way above the ST.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  24. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I found this a few days ago, and I love it.

Btw, I agree with you, Drakarn. Rogue One is made in the Lucas tradition, and it fits nicely with those who love the CT best, for any generation. I personally believe it's a good introduction to the old 1990s EU in terms of style, even if it doesn't fit. But who cares?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  25. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    Rogue One is my favorite Star Wars film outside of the Original Trilogy. I rank it just under ROTJ. And that is exponentially high praise coming from someone who considers the OT to be a cinematic masterpiece.

Rogue One just blew me away. It’s a fresh take on Star Wars, while it also manages to fit into the universe with near seamless perfection. Rogue One replaces one of my favorite EU stories (Kyle Katarn stealing the Death Star plans), yet I like the story of Jyn and company even more.

MS1, eko32eko7, BadAcrobat and 2 others like this.