main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Is R1 Your New Favorite?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Doom Trooper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Indeed. It has a perfect blend of classic Star Wars charm, emotion and darkness. I don’t care about reshoots or however they got to the final cut - what we have is simply a work of art.

avcpl, Bor Mullet and Darth__Lobot like this.
  2. Merrin

Merrin Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 12, 2019
    Of the Disney Star Wars films TLJ is probably still my favorite despite the ST being a massive disappointment on so many levels. R1 is definitely a close second though. I liked everything else except the ending where they killed off all the main characters literally almost one after another. If they all had to die the deaths should've been spread out throughout the movie. That's my only real criticism of R1. I also felt like Jyn's motives for joining the rebels weren't strong enough. Like first she wants nothing to do with them and then suddenly she's all in 100% It's been a while since I saw the movie though.

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I think a little something happened to make her all-in on infiltrating Scarif. ;) And that was witnessing the destruction of an entire city by the Death Star, and hearing her dying father ask her to make sure he didn’t sacrifice his life in vain by getting the Death Star plans and exploiting its weakness. It wasn’t sudden at all. But to clarify, she wasn’t joining the Rebels per se. She was simply trying to get them to do what her father said they should do to recover the Death Star plans so they could blow it up. And when the Rebels don’t go for it, she goes rogue with a willing crew.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  4. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Yeah I agree with this.

Bor Mullet and Iron_lord like this.
  5. someoneinpassing

someoneinpassing Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2019
    R1 is my favorite SW film outside of the OT. I rank the OT in the order of ESB / ANH / ROTJ. Frankly, the gap between ROTJ and R1 is not that wide for me, but ROTJ gets the nod for me for the #3 spot because it's part of an organic whole and the Vader/Luke/ Emperor finale in ROTJ is as good as SW gets. The OT will always occupy my top tier. R1 and TROS - two obviously very different films on the SW spectrum - occupy my second tier, with R1 ranked higher as an objectively better film and TROS being my "guilty pleasure / hey I liked it so sue me" entry. The rest ... meh, whatever.

Sarge likes this.
  6. JeanNo

JeanNo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    Definitely in my own top #5 SW movies:
    5- the force awakens
    4- return of the jedi
    3- rogue one
    2- the last jedi
    1- empire strikes back

7. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Rogue One manages to ground the GFFA in some really cool ways. The Rings of Kafrene sequence is great, and that bustling street scene evokes a kind of immersion I hadn't felt since Blade Runner.

I also love the matter-of-fact question from Jyn when she asks "What's with the destroyer?" when they arrive on Jedha. That scene with the star destroyer above Jedha City is awesome for us as the viewer, but Jyn addresses it in such a mundane fashion as if it is just a typical day to day sight to see a massive star ship just hovering there, no big deal.

It's a great way to transport you into their world.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  8. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    I can literally watch the end of this movie forever

9. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  10. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Yes that bit . But also the preceding twenty minute is so well made esp from red leaders inclusion. The preceding nigh two hours is also great

Ahsoka's Tano and Dagobahsystem like this.
  11. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    For me the last 30 minutes of R1 are the best of all SW so far....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...story, action, drama, visuals, cut and sound - everything perfect.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Goddammit, now I want to watch Rogue One and I'm stuck at work. Thanks a lot! :p

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Most movies don’t stick the landing. Rogue One does it better than any modern film I can remember.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    When I want to watch it and only have 3 minutes to spare, this is my go-to:

15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    [face_laugh]

That's great!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    All of this. I actually love Jyn's arc in the film. I don't think anything is missed. It's not that the films portrayed her as ideologically apolitical deep down as a character trait even at the beginning, before her shift. She ended up apolitical as a reaction to being abandoned for the second time, by Saw. She was a rebel with him before he left her behind. They establish that in the dialogue.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m baffled when I hear some people talk about this film not having character development. It leaves the ST in the dust.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It seems to me that the character development in R1 is more subtle than other SW films. For fans used to the broader strokes of the saga movies, the nuanced performances in R1 could seem underplayed.

19. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Cassian: What are you doing?
    Maze: Drinking wine and eating cheese and catching some rays, you know?

Chancellor Yoda and Sarge like this.
  20. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Just one time I'd like to see you praise Rogue One without bashing Marvel or the ST. Just once. Try it out. It might work for you. :p

Bor Mullet and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Fixed.

22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I like Rogue One.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  23. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    [​IMG]
    I'm so proud.

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    [​IMG]

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Just for the record, though, I don’t hate the ST. It’s all relative for me, so comparisons are a way of tempering my criticism, rather than overstating them. In other words, I love Rogue One so much that the ST not being as good is a very light critique. :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    anakinfansince1983 and EHT like this.