main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Is R1 Your New Favorite?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Doom Trooper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Though we can’t all agree that Rogue One is our favorite Star Wars film (it is mine), I think most of us can agree that it’s the best of the Disney era by a lot.

2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I stand by my assertion that RO was so good that it's a big reason the ST turned out the way it did. Because after it's release, everybody just assumed this is the direction the Disney era would be heading in, and nobody was keeping them in check whatsoever. I firmly believe that if RO hadn't been released prior to TLJ, or wasn't as well received as it was, there would have continued to be a great deal of pressure on Disney and LucasFilm to make sure that Episodes 8 and 9 were of high quality.

2Cleva likes this.
  3. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i love Rogue one and its at the top of my list tho love them all. its quite simple why it united most fans cos it was so closely linked to the original.. the further away you get from that central point the more conjecture. why people love the brilliant mandolrian.. it feels familiar.. ep1/2 and ep8/9 don't.. enough anyway for a lot of nostalgia hunters

4. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    I still remember the first thing I posted on Facebook when I got home from the theater was "I'm not saying Rogue One is the best Star Wars film of all time, but if you did I wouldn't argue with you." and that's exactly how I feel about it.

5. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Whenever I check in with this thread it instantly makes me want to rewatch Rogue One again!

Think I might just do that right now. :D

6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Do it!

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I see this thread is serving its purpose. :p

8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That was exactly my first reaction. But that soon after evolved into “it’s the best Star Wars film of all time.” I really think it’s a head above the rest.

9. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Of the Disney era films, RO is the only film I can watch then watch all over again and again. Whether it's because the nostalgia trip it is for some of us or it's just a fantastic well written, well acted movie... I don't know,

I hope Patty Jenkins Rogue Squadron be the same. If it's as popular, Disney will have to have Rogue in the title of all future films.

2Cleva, Sadie Erso, Sarge and 4 others like this.
  10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Same here. I recently rewatched the ST movies just because it had been a while and I wanted to confirm some of my interpretations and positions on things... and it was a real chore to get through, especially TLJ and TROS. RO, though, I could watch on a loop, except for wanting to continue straight into ANH after it ends.

11. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    I did last night in glorious 4K and as usual its a wonderful experience. I almost love every frame. It "feels" like it belongs perfectly in the original trilogy universe per se. After watching the prequels a few weeks ago I cued this up. Its such as great bridge film between Ep3 and Ep4. Like dead-on. The tie ins arent in your face but make a ton of sense. Its got a nice flow and editing. Just so involving for me as a SW fan. They really got this right. Its the best "Disney era" film IMO. The only minor knocks are that Jyn is a bit of a drab character and I dont think Jones played her that well. Saul Garrera was also a bit of a shove-in and didnt amount to much. But this is nit-picky, believe me. Its a 4.5 out of 5 stars movie for me. :)

12. KaleeshFett

KaleeshFett Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 21, 2021
    It's not quite my favorite, but it's rising in the film ranks like a conniving Imperial officer or something to that effect. It's probably the most dark, mature and nuanced Star Wars feature we've gotten yet and while still having that space opera sense of fun. The characters are all excellent, despite not all being fully developed. These characters might not be exploding with OTT personalities or running around shouting, but my God they got that rare heart and soul. That's all you need for memorable Star Wars characters IMO. Hell, this movie even has both a glorious ground battle and an exquisite space battle that actually make some tactical sense for once in Star Wars.

Lastly, long live the best X-Wing pilot since Wedge Antilles.

General Antoc Merrick!

[​IMG]

13. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Before Rogue One came out, my favorite Star Wars film was TESB with ROTJ coming in a close second. Now, R1 and TESB are tied for my favorite Star Wars films. That's mostly because ROTJ has more flaws than either TESB or R1 in my estimation. Vader and Luke are the main reasons I like ROTJ, but I feel that the storyline around Jabba's Palace could be have been written better. I don't have a problem with that being in the film, but it should have played out differently. Also, the R1 end battle is more engaging than the one in ROTJ, IMO. I love the character arcs of Jyn, Cassian, Chirrut, Blaze, Galen, and K2. Similarly, I'm invested in every character arc in TESB. In ROTJ, Luke, Vader, and Palpatine are the main characters that interest me. Plus, I'm partial to tragedies and bittersweet endings, and R1 and TESB have that in spades.

My only criticism of R1 is that I believe that Bor Gullet should have damaged Bodhi's mind. Bodhi could have shown strength by overcoming the damage, but he could have had lingering symptoms, such as forgetfulness. However, the film is excellent, anyway. I think they did a good job of portraying Krennic as mostly a threat to the protagonists with Tarkin and Vader looming over the film.

14. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Rogue One is awesome. In my opinion it's the only SW film made since ROTJ that actually makes the SW universe feel bigger and more fleshed out. Every single other movie made since ROTJ is too full of various kinds of "Darth Vader built C-3PO" moments that makes the SW universe feel smaller and more contrived.

I also think Rogue One has some of the best characters and definitely the most realistic characters. 99% of people who say the RO characters are "underdeveloped" are just parroting some silly youtube video.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    Bor Mullet, EHT, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  15. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Yeah, I don't think they're underdeveloped. Cassian has a clear arc. You can tell from Diego Luna's body language that the character is uncomfortable with what he's doing in various places before he refuses to shoot Galen Erso. Also, Jyn has a good arc, since she begins the film as strictly neutral and resenting the Rebellion for the loss of her mom and dad, swelling with emotion when she sees her father's message, and then deciding to oppose the Empire on her own terms. You can tell that she would have remained a force with which to be reckoned if she had survived the attack on Scarif.

For whatever reason, I find Blaze's chant, "I'm one of with the Force, and the Force is with me," more memorable than Chirrut's. It's probably because he says it more slowly. Besides, it's a moving moment. You feel bad for him, but you also root for him as he takes on those Death Troopers.

16. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Agreed, the character development in Rogue One is terrific given how it is only one movie with so many characters and much material to cover.
    Kudos to the excellent cast who greatly helped convey these arcs through subtle performances, often including only body language and non verbal communication as mentioned here already

An amazing cast and crew worked on this picture.

17. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I wonder if there's a generational thing with Rogue One. I'm in my 40s and pretty much everyone I know that's around my age share's my opinion that Rogue One is by far the best SW movie to come out since the OT. I wonder if it's because people who grew up in the 70s and 80s always have wanted an OT film made more for adults (even if we didn't realize it)?

Or shorter - maybe I'm the exact target audience for RO.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Back in '77 when I heard there was going to be a big new movie called Star Wars and all I knew was the title, if you had asked me what it was going to be like, I would have described something sort of like R1. Of course I love the way ANH came out and turned so many of the expectations of the day on their heads, but I'm still happy I finally got to see something like what I'd been expecting back in the day.

19. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    I like the Rogue One. I think it enhance and improve the original film.

20. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I'm watching Rogue One right now. Already amused by K2. I'm planning to watch my favorite Ahsoka episodes from Seasons 5 and 7 from TCW later. It's nice to watching actual Star Wars stuff I love.

21. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Prepare for shocking take...3...2...1...

The 3rd act of Rogue One is the best Star Wars ever put on film.

That said...the first 2 acts are sluggish and a bit confusing. Now they are saved by some STUNNING visual choices, but that only forgives so much.

What is sad is as we learn more about the making of the film...it appears the film we ended up with was an "accident" of circumstance. A jumble of production hell issues leading to band-aid re-shoots and edits. The success of the film is in spite of it's leadership, and a tribute to the loving craft of the small print names in the credits.
    While this gives me a smile to imagine how fate "gifted" us that amazing climax to the film...it also leaves me fearful that the creative forces behind the brand cannot comprehend what was truly successful about the film and find a way to make the magic again.

3 subsequent films, while all with their positives in places, would seem to indicate my fears are somewhat justified.

So while I am happy we have Rogue One, I fear lessons have not been learned, and these production "gambles" don't come up winners as much as we want...though they do pay (box office) and in the end, that is all Disney really cares about when they gamble on a Star Wars film.

SateleNovelist11 and Sarge like this.
  22. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Great interview.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I feel like Rogue One stands as the perfect example of continuity done right. The way it blends seamlessly into ANH is incredible. I appreciate how meticulous everyone was in making sure this film blends perfectly with ANH.

Rogue One is my favorite release under the Disney banner. And not just because of the detailed attention to continuity, but simply because IMO it's just a great SW film. Captures everything that makes SW enjoyable. The only thing that is lacking is Jedi (though I acknowledge it doesn't fit into the story really), and even then the presence of Darth Vader kind of makes up for that.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  24. sxnofthesuns

sxnofthesuns Jedi Padawan

Jun 20, 2021
    I absolutely agree. Definitely my favorite Star Wars movie that Disney released as well. After 2005, I didn't think I'd get to see Vader in a Star Wars movie in theaters again, and that was a real treat on top of what was already such an engaging film. I try to include it with my marathons now too.

SateleNovelist11, CosmoHender and EHT like this.
  25. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I think it's the only Disney SW movie I haven't hated so far. And it's not necessary, it's really filler, but that kind of makes it more accessible, more likeable. A decent side-story to the Skywalker saga.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.