main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Is Rogue One a True Spin-off?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by tokilamockingbrd, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

I take issue with your use of the word "entire."

:p

2. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

I am more or less sure that the Han Solo movie will be more like a comedy than serious, dark stuff. It will have a very light tone. I want to laugh a lot in that.

Spin-off is an awful name. I guess Disney has given the best definition for these movies, they are Star Wars Stories.

It is a big galaxy, after all.

Taylore likes this.
  3. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    I'm not feeling the analogy that R1:ANH::TEST:ROTJ because the three films of the OT are focused on certain characters, and Rogue One is focused on others.

That being said, from the time that we first heard the basic synopsis, it was clear that it was feeding straight into ANH as part of the story of the war. So I guess that I'd say that it's not a true "spin-off," but I think that it can be considered an anthology, which is basically what I was expecting. It's not an isolated story, but it isn't part of the main story from a character standpoint.

Sarge likes this.
  4. jediged

jediged Jedi Padawan

Dec 29, 2016
    Well, regardless of your views, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a Obi-wan Kenobi film after watching Rogue One. Because we could understand how he was brought up before becoming padawan to Qui-gon.

5. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    This movie is definitely not a spin-off in the sense of loosely related story in the same universe. It's a prequel (in fact it's much more of a prequel than the PT is)... and one could argue that Rogue One has now become the first half of a two part movie (the 2nd half being ANH obviously). I know I'll never be able to watch ANH without Rogue One again. To me Rogue One is almost a new piece of the OT (which I guess would make it the OQ.. .LOL).

I'm trying to think of another movie that's done this before and I can't think of too many... maybe some of the BSG TV movies are sort of similar? (like Razor?) I have to say that in this case I love it and they executed it almost perfectly but it does seem to be a fairly risky thing to pull off. If they had screwed up Rogue One they might have been viewed as cheapening/degrading the original film (ANH). In this case they enriched it so all is well.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  6. Darth Voldemort

Darth Voldemort Jedi Master star 1

Oct 21, 2014
    I somewhat agree. It's a stand alone prequel.

7. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
  8. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Pfft! We all know Star Wars is totally just a spin off of Journal of the Whills. :rolleyes: :p

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Pfft! Pfft! Journal of the Whills was a rip off of Whills talking anyway.