main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Is Spoiler Free a Laser-brained Delusion???

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by That Bad Huh, Jun 3, 2014.

?

Is it even possible in 2014 to avoid SW7 spoilers?

1. "All too easy."

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. "That's IMPOSSIBLE!"

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  1. That Bad Huh

That Bad Huh Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012
    Pretty simple question really: do you think it is even possible, in the 2014/15 world of Twitter feeds, Facebook walls, avatars, profile pics, etc., ad infinitum, to remain totally spoiler free for Episode VII? If so, what's your plan to combat all of those sources?

During the PT, it wasn't very hard to do: stay out of the wrong threads here at TFN. The worst you had to worry about was the very remote chance of a blurb on TV (especially true regarding TPM -- and btw seriously...remember television?) or maybe a buddy sending you an IM, but outside of that, you could be as ignorant as you wanted with very little effort. Today, it seems like avoiding info is going to require a near Luddite media shutdown.

For example...not that I'm avoiding anything really, yet, but I was tipped off about today's revelations by a buddy's Facebook message out of the blue. If I'd been hoping to remain NSA for the duration of this 18 month wait, I'd be toast already.

Anyway...what do you think? Can it be done?

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It depends on your definition of "spoiler free."

If you don't even want to know who is cast in the new movie, I'd say it's pretty much impossible.

But unless you have really inconsiderate Facebook friends, I'd say major plot points can be avoided.

jaqen, Death_Jar_Jar and MOC Yak Face like this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Unless you completely disconnect your Internet connection a purely "spoiler free" (ie. you literally don't know a damn thing aside from there's an episode 7 in theatres) it's impossible. Hell, is the title a spoiler? How are you gonna buy your tickets? With social media exploding in this era, I fully expect a major episode 7 spoiler to be a twitter hashtag meme before the movie is released.

That Bad Huh likes this.
  4. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Living without twitter and facebook is easy.

5. That Bad Huh

Nov 4, 2012

Sure -- if you're already going without it. But are you willing to shut yourself out of your existing accounts to avoid spoilers? Will you have to?

6. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    You caught me. I never have used facebook and twitter. The hard part for me(and I am going for the extreme spoiler free status) will be when the ads on tv and in public start. I'll be like Steve Carrell, in 40 Year Old Virgin, running away from that bus with the big sexy ad on the side. Averting my eyes from billboards and leaving the room during commercials is something I'll have to be good at. Also I've had to give up on all the entertainment sites I usually skim or peruse. As a side effect I'll be going spoiler free for all new movies.

Death_Jar_Jar and That Bad Huh like this.
  7. That Bad Huh

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm still on the fence about even trying this go-round. I worked at a KB Toys for AOTC, so spoilers were inevitable (not that I wanted to avoid them!) and I bought a Hyperspace membership in the run-up to Episode III; I can honestly say that neither ruined my experience...but of course, what do I have to compare it to? I've never gone spoiler free for a Star Wars film.

Maybe I should have done it when I had the chance...

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Being spoiler-free? Impossible. It would disrupt my daily routine way too much.

9. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I am having a real struggle this time around. I am trying to go cold turkey (aside from official photos/releases) but given that JJ doesn't release much of anything, that means seeing almost nothing. And when someone posts links to set pics on social media, I can't control myself.

Garth Maul likes this.
  10. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012

It can be done. This is my plan. I don't even what to see a trailer.

I don't twitter, Facebook, etc. and this is the only forum I have ever joined - and I'm signing out until I see Episode VII.

The world is already going nuts to get some VII action and it will get worse. Websites will whore themselves to get hits.

My regular use of the internet will not expose me to spoilers. I am concerned that Rebel Force Radio may be dangerous to listen to but they have promised spoiler alerts.

The hype around TPM was everyone BUT Lucasfilm.

I don't even know what those "revelations" are.

I won't need to to isolate myself from the world - I just need to not look anything up and change the channel on TV.

That Bad Huh likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, social media spoilery is only one aspect, the thing is Star Wars is getting coverage everywhere across the Internets on any and all entertainment websites. Every development has been headline news. I think that part is actually more difficult than missing social media spoilers.

12. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    My approach to spoiler free works for anything: just don't google/bing/yahoo/whatever anything specific. StarWars.com is a no-no as well. Likewise, those who are regulars on Twitter, tumblr, or other forms of social media might be in trouble.

A month or two ago, I honestly had no idea what Star Wars Rebels was about until I did some research. It's amazing what a simple google search can do. I avoided Rebels articles on Wookieepedia because quite frankly I couldn't have cared less. :p

13. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    If I didn't lurk around Facebook, since I don't use it the regular way, I could avoid the stuff I've seen pop up in that top right trending column. I've most lost interest in following Twitter so I don't stumble upon stuff there. The next challenge would be avoiding stuff at imdb.com. They have news headlines that are barely related to people on their profile pages.

14. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Yeah - imdb, reddit, 4chan. Those websites have to be avoided too.

15. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Pretty much my only social interaction is facebook. It's also great for feeds from various news sources. However, I feel like I'm going to have to stop following just about everyone, because even sites that have almost nothing to do with Star Wars post leaked pictures for the clickbait. I haven't seen the pictures, but thanks to a barrage of news stories, I already know what's in them. When you add to that the fact that my friends are consistently trying to impress me with Star Wars scoops (not to mention, I'm a pretty well-liked teacher, and lord knows my students will eventually trying the same,) and the ubiquity of Star Wars news - well, I'm thinking I would have a better chance avoiding them by taking up residence in Abu Dhabi. As far as spoilers go, the recent leaks are pretty minor in my book - especially since they're no brainers (even before JJ's charity vid,) but I have a feeling that there's an awful lot I'm going to have to cut out of my life over the next 18 months.

That Bad Huh and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    As I recently posted in the "Spoiler Alert" thread...

Let's please be careful and not even give hints here as to the types of spoilers being discussed in the SA forum.

17. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I wanted to stay mostly spoiler free apart from the main cast (without looking to see who the new cast are actually playing) and have been debating if it's even worth it since I'm going to SW Anaheim 2015. I want to be pleasantly surprised when I'm in the theater for the first time, not over-analyzing everything the whole time. Unfortunately with what happened this week, no amount of fast scrolling spared me. Yes, it was minor but it's only the beginning. I don't want to shut down all Star Wars news in case something major happens like a date change or something disrupts the production process but if I let pages of facebook that I know will let me know in sight then any little thing, whether fake or not, will show up on my newsfeed. It's basically the equivalent of not seeing the latest Game of Thrones episode until the next day and having to avoid every body on every site so that the episode isn't spoiled stretched into 18 months.

That Bad Huh likes this.
  18. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

Oh man - I didn't even think about Celebration! I think we'll be good there as long as you don't mind seeing the trailer. (I'm gonna be spoiler free - but that doesn't count, imo.)
    The thing that bugs me about Facebook is the "sponsored pages" they keep shoving down my throat. Thanks to internet tracking, Google and Facebook KNOW that I'm into Star Wars. The result? Any link with the words Star and Wars get thrown into my life. It was great when I found out minutes after the Disney deal. I appreciated it then. Now when iceholes are posting pictures, well, I can't mark enough things spam. My only hope is that any site that will post spoilers also posted the pictures and I've successfully marked them all as spam.

Padme501st likes this.
  19. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I know I'll be spoiled on some things, but going "Spoiler-Free" for me is not seeking out spoilers on my own. There's no way I'll be able to get through the next few years without seeing some headlines, so I'm not too worried until they leak a major plot point. That wouldn't be good.

20. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This is the main reason why I'm not going to Celebration 2015.

21. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    So far it's been fairly easy. I unsubscribed from certain subreddits, I reduced my Facebook time (and turned off the ticker), and Ad-blocked most sidebar things that will mention Star Wars. I also bookmarked Wookieepedia so I wouldn't have to google search , just in case. I should probably just download the whole wiki before things get bad, lol!
    Now all I need is one of those anti-politics-style No Star Wars VII addons for Chrome. :p

Luckily I have a few close people who are not going spoiler free, so they'll tell me if something like date changes happen. That was my big concern too.

22. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    All I did was drop all Star Wars podcasts, the problem is I still have yet to unlike some Star Wars Facebook pages, some are very good at bringing all kinds of news, and I don't want to unlike it.

Life is ruff! :D

23. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I've unliked all Star Wars pages and since then, no spoilers have crossed my path. I'm not very active in here at the moment and I'll be less and less active the closer we get.
    Piece of cake!

Death_Jar_Jar likes this.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    [​IMG]
    The world won't get me!

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I guess I'm doing pretty well because I have no idea what happened this week. :p

I only use Twitter for work and I don't use any of the other social media sites mentioned except for Facebook. At this point I don't know if I'll be in Anaheim or not, between work, child care and financial obligations. Plus I'm a little phobic about crowds, but I'll get over that if everything else works out.

What I'm wondering is how much Abrams is going to troll the spoiler-hungry folks with fake spoilers.