main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Is Spoiler Free a Laser-brained Delusion???

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by That Bad Huh, Jun 3, 2014.

?

Is it even possible in 2014 to avoid SW7 spoilers?

1. "All too easy."

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. "That's IMPOSSIBLE!"

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  1. Lando Swarm

Lando Swarm Jedi Master star 2

Aug 9, 2013
    It's pretty easy to stay unspoiled - just assume that everything you hear about the movie from non-official sources is false. There will be plenty of nonsense flying around the internet for the next 17 months, and if you don't read about any of it, actual plot leaks will be indistinguishable from total fabrications. :)

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It would be difficult, but not impossible to avoid spoilers.

3. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    How safe is the SW TV forum on here? Are 7 spoilers allowed in it?

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW and Rebels are discussed so stuff might pop up.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nothing has really been discussed on Episode 7 so far there that I can recall, but we should probably ask the mods to clarify as we'll probably get some new traffic with Rebels premiering.

Todd the Jedi
    TaradosGon
    Seerow
    AkashKedavra_93

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Oh sure, just invite them all in here. :p

7. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I haven't been heavy in Episode 7 discussions (I'd like to remain as much in mystery as possible, like Interstellar). As far as Rebels is concerned, we'll be doing heavy policing to ensure that the spoiler-free thread remains as spoiler-free as possible. Some folks don't want to know anything or very little and we should respect that. Also episode threads will be monitored to ensure that discussions remain as pertained to that episode as possible. It is difficult to remain completely un-spoiled, but we mods will do everything we can to ensure a positive viewing and discussion experience for everyone. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Thanks AkashKedavra_93 . I do think, though, that part of their question has to do with whether Episode 7 spoilers, specifically, are allowed to be used in discussions in the SWTV forums (not just Rebels spoilers).

Edit: When I was still modding in SWTV too, the E7 spoilers hadn't really started yet and we were just splitting the E7 forum into SA and NSA sections at that time. So I don't think it was really an issue in SWTV for us yet then.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    OK, thanks AkashKedavra_93 . :)

Could I also ask, on behalf of those of us who don't want to be spoiled for Episode 7, that any information that is considered 7SA-only or spoiler-thread only (Lit and the YJCC have spoiler Episode 7 threads) be spoiler-tagged?

I think that closer to the film release, people might try to connect episode events to the film. I just want to avoid opening the forum prior to 12/18/2015 and seeing "Do you think that Luke's initiation into the Sith Order in Episode 7 happened because he finally lost it and beat Ezra with his lightsaber-hilt cane?"

EDIT: Ninja'd. Thanks EHT.

stormcloud8 and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  10. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I think Episode 7 spoilers should be kept relatively out of SWTV (in terms of having threads related to the film) and anything that appears in relation to the film should be spoiler-tagged in the television threads. EHT anakinfansince1983

11. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Yup, that is exactly what I want to avoid as well. I have some concerns about what they are doing with Rebels, and would like to chat about that in the TV forum, but I don't want to have 7 ruined for me in there.

12. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I've already set my Yahoo page to block all Star Wars related content. Most of the people on my Facebook list are not Star Wars fans, at least nowhere to the degree of posting info about the film on their pages.

My definition of "spoiler free" is simply to walk into a film without any major plot details revealed. I don't mind knowing about cast, most characters, even minor story outlines like you'd ascertain from trailers. But I don't want to know much else beyond that. And I know it's possible since I manage to avoid spoilers for every single other major, anticipated film I see.

I think most people who can't go relatively spoiler free almost always end up spoiling themselves in the end.

13. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Agreed. I know pretty much nothing about the new films, besides 5 casting choices, which really aren't a surprise.

dolphin likes this.
  14. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Dear Unspoiled,

I am here to announce that I have joined your ranks. I have been spoiled rotten up until now but have reached a point where it is prudent for me to retain what innocence I have. I humbly ask that you accept me into your fold.

[​IMG]

15. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    In the day of the internet, I find it very hard to be "spoiler-free" completely. Its been hard enough avoiding GOTG spoilers, a film I greatly want to see but won't for three weeks and already some images and tidbits have made its way to my eyes, when I certainly wasn't looking for it!

dolphin likes this.
  16. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Welcome, Dolphin.

Found out a spoiler today from someone's FB status. I called him on it, and he said "yeah, I will probably ruin the film for you accidentally."

That's the real problem, do I want to cut people out of my online "life" to protect myself? This person is a good example, I am interested in other things he says, I don't want to lose that.

dolphin likes this.
  17. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

I do. I've told my friends it's a zero tolerance policy. I get that people like spoilers - or even just like feeling informed - but I'm spoiler free, and I mean it. I would unfollow my wife on Facebook if she posted Star Wars spoilers.

18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Those people threatening to ruin things for you guys obviously need to be "taken care of". [face_devil]

stormcloud8, dolphin and Frank T. like this.
  19. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    From imdb:

Security surrounding this movie was so intense that George Lucas had regular reports about "leaks" from actors. George Lucas was so determined that the ending be kept secret that he had David Prowse (Darth Vader) say "Obi-Wan killed your father", and dubbed it later to be "I am your father". In fact, only five people eventually knew about the ending before the film's release: George Lucas (came up with the idea in his second draft, after the death of Leigh Brackett), director Irvin Kershner (informed of such during story conferences), writer Lawrence Kasdan (also informed during story and script conferences), Mark Hamill (informed shortly before the shooting of the infamous scene), and James Earl Jones (told during the recording sessions for the final dub, and whom himself believed that Vader was lying).

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I remember hearing about that. There was an addendum that Lucas really did not trust Prowse to keep his trap shut.

I could see Abrams doing something like that for big twists, and I hope he does. It was easier in 1980 with no Internet but still...

21. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Speaking of folks back in '80 who couldn't keep their trap shut concerning that spoiler...

22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Love that scene.

23. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Imagine sitting there watching EPISODE III and then being surprised to see the Tantive IV, especially the inside of it. Knowing ahead of time that it would be in the movie would take away that sensation of being surprised. I say this after glancing at the beginning of a report on the main page referring to "interior set images" of specifically-named places/things as not being spoilers and okay for those being "spoiler-free". Being spoiler-free doesn't mean not having the lines to connect the dots but not having the dots in the first place.

24. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Right, so I have officailly left the Spoiler Forum, although I've not been clicking in there for a while.

It is gonna be tough to stay spolier free from now on. Just yesterday I was going through my Facebook feed and a post by the 501st Garrsion post came up. It said 'Spolier Alert' but the picture with the possible spolier was there in full view so it was impossible to avoid. :mad: So needless to say I'm not following them on FB anymore.

After this I'm contemplating removing all the film type pages I follow on FB....this is gonna be tough

Winston_Sith and Frank T. like this.
  25. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    All I know is that it's going to be hard not to be spoiled until now and when the movie is released. Too many factors, too many outlets these days to keep away from it all. Only way to keep away is to either hide inside a cardboard box for the next two years or to jump into the Carbon Freeze chamber and hope someone breaks you out of there when the film is out.