main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Is Star Wars missing the Lucas touch?.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Iceblazer, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Iceblazer

Iceblazer Jedi Padawan

Sep 7, 2020
    Reading a topic in the "New movies" forum. A poster asked if Star Wars is declining today.
    I read replies, then tried to chime in, but I did not have privileges.
    I've thought about the topic for a while, then decided to post my views on this.
    Starting out with the new OT figures in 96, and growing up with the Prequels, Lucasfilm seemed to make sure there was something for everyone, from major characters, to the visually interesting side ones, from EU novels that took us places when a movie wasn't around that year, to video games that put you into the universe. There was something for every fan.
    My sibling loved Jar Jar, and while he wasn't a popular character, Lucasfilm had stuff ready for the Jar Jar fans, because.....once they grew out of Jar Jar, they would be so interested in the series, they would find a new favorite that matched their growing personality.
    Merchandising. You can't sell if you don't merchandise to all tastes.
    The new POTF figures and Special Editions, were the perfect way to get people ready for the Prequels.
    I remember when the Special Editions came out, advertising was everywhere!. The stores has huge toy displays with cutouts and music, many food chains had promo items, and even packaged food was there to tell you.
    "Star Wars is back!".
    And just when my interest in the OT characters was fading.
    'Look new Star Wars movies, with new characters....INCLUDING JEDI!"
    more displays, advertising, (and because of the times) "look everyone, N'SYNC just saw Episode I!".
    Those couple years, it seemed like a celebration.
    Episode II had a hint of the disney era.
    There was no exclusive "wow" packaging for the figures, not cut outs, no cool cups to collect, pepsi cans. It was a very generic year. Yes they promoted the Clones to an extent, but they could have promoted all the cool Jedi too. The movie was OK, but could have been better if they made it a colorful atmosphere.
    Episode III regained a little of the magic that The Special Editions and Episode I captured, but it was still very generic.

Enter ST.
    Disney assumed people loved Star Wars, and that only OT fans were around, unlike Lucasfilm which gave everyone a hero. Disney comes in with their, "Here is Kylo, here is Rey. Pick one".
    "I like Luke....".
    "No, Kylo or Rey. These are your choices".
    "Luke and Leia on Naboo!?".
    "NO!, NO PT, AND NO OT! ONCE WE ESTABLISH OUR CHARECTERS!".
    *Disney looks deeper*
    "Oh, people like that stuff.....?"
    "Throw a few hints in, and maybe a Luke, Padme, and Anakin standup, and call it a day. BUT PUSH KYLO AND REY!".
    "Crickets".
    There was no huge playful marketing to bring kids in for the ST, no selection of characters that tried to have something for everyone. It was simply,
    "This is dinner. Like it, or go hungry".

In closing. Growing up, as both an OT and PT fan. I loved the era, because Lucasfilm created a world that distracted me from things here. I loved the era from The Special Editions and Episode I. Because Profits aside, Lucasfilm seemed to too.......

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    While I agree that the GL produced SW films did have something...special that the ST did not, I'd guess this conversation would fit fine in other threads we have in this forum.

3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    No it's missing someone other then lucas in charge of planning. But it seems Kathleen Kennedy with Filoni is doing that.

4. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Not entirely, but you can tell he isn't making the movies anymore. The storytelling/brainpower is really lacking.

5. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    No, but there are some talents that could be pointed in different directions. Filoni, who was essentially Lucas' protege, has those sensibilities closer to his; as Mandalorian shows, you just need a plan, and characters folks can all latch onto.

6. imperial scum

imperial scum Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 7, 2020
    He was completely at odds with Hollywood, because he was interested in telling original stories and was taking a huge risk with Star Wars.
    George Lucas SW films were meaningful, trying to convey life lessons rooted in classic mythology. The ST is meaningless, to the point of nihilism and has divisive messages like condemning mansplaining and white patriarchy. Goerge's Star Wars could be enjoyed by everyone.
    They were also creative, Goerge tried to make every film different, not recycle the old stuff.

On the negative side, he became obsessed with toys and marketing to children from RotJ onwards and is CGI-crazy.

7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    The CGI was just a means to an end. Objecting to CGI just because it's CGI is like objecting to stop-motion animation, miniature ships, matte paintings and other old-fashioned fx techniques when they were the most advanced fx techniques available.

8. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    And that goes for dialogue and line delivery as well.

Like, WB pictures starring Humphrey Bogart and many others in the 1940s have a certain style to them, that includes actors' mannerisms and how they say their lines and also the content of what they are saying. That's not everybody's cup of tea, although I dig it very much so, even though these films were released when my late Grandfather was a young man.

And conversely, there is the MCU type of dialogue and line delivery we get in so many films nowadays.

9. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I don't think it's missing the Lucas touch. I think it's missing one cohesive voice overseeing all content. Having different writers and directors for everything is OK if you have one voice above all keeping them all rowing in the same direction. Without Lucas, we're missing that one overarching overseeing voice that keeps everything in line with what was originally Lucas' vision.

The Mandalorian is the prime example with having different directors for each episode, but Favreau above everything to keep it in line. Filoni, on the other hand, has jumped the shark and turned the animated side into his own little playground with no cohesive direction. I'm not trying to knock Kathleen Kennedy, but she doesn't seem to have as firm a hold on the reins as Lucas did. So again, what is missing is not Lucas' touch, but that one voice that keeps it all in line.

10. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Agreed. George is an amazing storyteller and the elements he used for the OT and PT, family ties, bonds of friendship shown visually to grow, there just isn't the same emotion in the ST. George created a story that made me feel for his characters, invest in their success and look forward to more stories. Unfortunately the ST didn't do anything other than crap all over what came before.

11. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Yes, I think it is. Even those Star Wars productions that I have enjoyed - "Rogue One", "Solo" and "The Mandalorian" - felt a little . . . I don't know, contrived. They seemed as if they were trying too hard to recapture the past of the Original Trilogy. Even Lucas never made that mistake in my eyes. If he had, I would have never enjoyed the Prequel Trilogy as much as I did.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Its missing Lucas' overall vision and direction as well as his heart and soul. Its not missing dialog writing or individual story lines.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  13. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Mmmm... Boba Fett first appeared in RotJ then?

Tosche_Station and Iron_lord like this.
  14. DartJackson

DartJackson Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 26, 2020
    This is a common practice for TV shows.The directors of the series sacrifice their vision to create a big picture and continuity. Executive Producers is the most important on television.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  15. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I understand that. I was making the point of having one cohesive voice or vision keeping everything in line.

16. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Yes. It’s missing the Lucas touch, sadly. But there is some glimmer of hope with the Mandalorian team!

CampOfSorgan and Darth Majestic like this.
  17. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    The whole reason he gave star wars away was because of the grief he got for the PT. Without the abuse he goti think he'd have made the ST himself or with other directors

18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    The ST would be messy with or without GL. Lets see to other projects. Rogue One, Solo, Rebels, Mandalorian.

19. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    ^ This! At the end of the day, these are movies. Great movies! To go to the lengths of disparaging anyone is just so silly and idiotic.

20. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I'm not so sure about that. In fact, I believe he wouldn't have made the ST at all. Ever since he made the PT he said the ST would never be made because there was no story. He hadn't expressed any actual interest in doing the PT since at least 1980. And regardless of the grief, as he got older he had less and less interest in making more big budget films.

21. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I wholeheartedly agree that the series is missing Lucas' touch, not necessarily for the merchandising reasons pointed out in the OP but from a story, heart, and overall direction perspective. This new era has a very "design-by-committee" feel to it, much like the MCU but worse.

I think that there could be a course correction if one cohesive voice was placed in charge of the new stories (will I be as interested in it as I was in the Lucas era? Probably not, but still) but that'll never happen as long as the intent is to pump out several series in the SW universe at a time.

22. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I think so too. The OT had 3 different directors but had Lucas to oversee it all. The ST is kind of all over the place; with the two directors clearly having differing visions.

themoth and CampOfSorgan like this.
  23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think Filoni and Faveru are the Lucas touch in a way, the creative lead, with KK or her replacemnet being the president of LFL. Filoni's role only gets bigger and bigger one day i see him making a movie and will probaly confuse half the audience with his force stuff.:p

DarthKreVass likes this.