main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is the CT dragging down the overall quality of the saga?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Go-Mer-Tonic, Jul 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I have been watching the prequel films almost exclusively since they have been made available, and the other day it occurred to me that I should watch the classic trilogy again to see if there were any new ways to see things since TPM and AOTC came out.

The first thing that struck me was the horrible dialogue. Sure, the prequels have their moments here and there, but in the classic trilogy, every other line is ludicrous.

"But I was going to Toshi Station to pick up some power converters"? I know Luke is supposed to be young and earnest about his potential future away from Tatooine, but nobody I know whines like this. It just isn't something someone would naturally say.

"Not this ship sister"? I know the film was made in the 70's, but you would think that they could keep the dialogue more "SW" than "70's USA". Nothing rips me out of the experience faster than something that reminds me of some exploitation flick.

"Scruffy looking Nerf Herder"? What the heck is this supposed to mean? There is such a thing as being too far removed from earthly dialects.

The next thing I noticed was the wooden performances by all the actors. It really says something when the most lively and convincing performance comes from a 2 foot tall green puppet. What, did they get Mark Hamil from some soap opera? Talk about over doing it. And Han "I am just selling myself for my next film" Solo. In every shot you could tell he hated being in this movie. He even snapped on Lucas one day and said: "You know George, you can write this *&^%, but you sure as $*^^ can't say it." Pretty much the same thing can be said about Alec Guinness. It must have taken a lot of skill on Lucas' part to make the great Sir Alec so bland. What was the deal with Carrie "guess what I am sniffing this week" Fisher? It almost seems like a different person every time there was a wardrobe change.

Then there's Chewbacca; Nuff said.

It wouldn't be so bad if Lucas didn't keep breaking the serious tension with low brow burp jokes.

Then you have all the sloppy continuity problems. Like in ESB when Obi-Wan told Luke that Yoda taught him. Anybody with a brain will remember that it was really Qui-Gon who taught him.

I also started to notice the over abundance of bad, unconvincing stop-motion animation in the Hoth and Endor ground battles. The Taun Tauns were a joke, and the half-baked "wampa" sock puppet monster wasn't even good enough to be a joke.

Then we get to the story. How logical is it that the 3 main characters end up playing the most important roles throughout the films? I can see them in their ANH roles, but then in ESB, Luke and Han are suddenly the most important generals in the Rebellion? Then as soon as they meet up with Han's old buddy Lando, he is magically made another top ranking General because "someone must have heard about his little maneuver at the battle of Taneb?" Give me a freaking break! Lando is nothing more than an attempt by a marketing department to make a "hook" to keep audiences interested in yet another tired episode of this endless saga. Then, the series loses all credibility when inexplicably, Leia just happens to be Luke's sister. Can this universe be any smaller?

I hope that Lucas has the gumption to realize he should re-shoot the classic trilogy to bring it up to the high water mark of quality set by the prequels so far. If he doesn't do that, then I fear the classic trilogy will at best, be remembered as "that mediocre sequel to one of the best trilogies of all time."

Which isn't the worst thing that could happen, but I trust Lucas will make the right decision and give us devout prequels fans what we have earned as fans.

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Is the CT dragging down the overall quality of the saga?

No.

3. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
  4. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Why?

It's because the CT was fine before the PT came along and the PT should've been made to fit the CT. That's why. Changing classic films in a willy-nilly manner is bad karma.

5. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    What if the change makes a medocre series as good as it should have been?

Or do you think all change is inherrently bad?

6. rogue-padawan

rogue-padawan Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2003
    Anytime my friends dog the dialog in the prequels, i just say, "lazer-brain". They usually shut up right about then.

7. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I don't think all change is bad at all. However, I fear that Lucas will go TOO far and ruin movies that have been deemed as classics.

8. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    If Lucas were to change his mind and release the classic version of the original trilogy on DVD, would you be against him totally re-making a better set of sequel episodes that would match the splendor of the prequel trilogy so far?

9. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Nope. That would suit me just fine. I have no problem at all with a completely new CT trilogy, as long as the original theatrical releases are saved and released in a digital format.

10. DarthHtrad

DarthHtrad Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2002
    Wow! I have never once encountered a person on this board that loved the prequels, but hated the originals. You are truly in a class of your own.

11. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I don't hate the originals, it's just that they aren't as good as the prequels have been so far.

12. DarthHtrad

Oct 24, 2002
    Are you serious or are you just kidding around? I'm not trying to give you ****. I'm really wondering.

13. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    This IS a nice change... :p I get a little tired of seeing the PT torn down for the same qualities the OT is lifted high on a pedestal for. But at the same time, I love the OT, and believe it's on about the same level the PT is on. I wouldn't want most of it to be changed.

14. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I do not believe that the CT is dragging down the saga. I believe the PT is dragging down the saga. Why? Because the PT is making the CT fit in it's storyline, while it should be the other way around.

15. DarthHtrad

Oct 24, 2002
    Hey, I like both trilogies, but I'll take Mark "I am a Jedi like my father before me" Hamill over Hayden "I wish I could wish away my feelings" Christensen any day.

16. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    Jedi Master just said what I was gonna say. It was refreshing. Good onya Go-Mer

17. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Gomer,

I've always agreed with you especially when you were defending TPM. But, I have to disagree with you on this one. If anything the PT has tarnished the name of SW and the OT, which is still the greatest trilogy ever made.

None of the dialogue in the OT is as bad as the PT especially AOTC. The Wookie dialogue in the SW Holiday Special was better than that in AOTC.

The OT is and will always be the bench mark for Sci-Fi/Fantasy. The PT does have its moments, but is no where near as good as the OT.

18. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    The Wookie dialogue in the SW Holiday Special was better than that in AOTC.

Let's try not to get carried away here :p

19. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    I don't know. Those Wookies can throw down on some dialogue when they want to. :D

I heard some of them were trained at Julliard. 8-}

20. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    You know - I admire someone who wants to be a devil's advocate for the sake of being a devil's advocate, but it's pretty obvious you hate making this argument as much as Harrison Ford hated being in Star Wars (as you say). Perhaps you should find something you actually feel strongly about and make convincing points. I've seen some blanding acting, but never quite such a bland argument. When you can find some of the real problems with the CT (and I'm not saying there aren't any) that aren't twice as noticable in the PT, maybe we can have a constructive dialogue. But it's no fun to debate with someone who just wants to pick a fight for the fun of it.

21. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    So you will understand when I ask you to stay out of this then?

22. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Go-Mer, I gotta disagree with you on this. I never thought the dialogue was that bad in the OT. That could be because I'm used to it though. I never thought the acting was that bad either. I don't think Harrison hated being in Star Wars, he didn't really want to return for ROTJ because he felt that character had outlived his usefulness.

As for the effects. I think it's wrong to complain SFX because it is now outdated. They did the best they could in the time peroid and it looked great then. It's like someone attacking the PT because the SFX are outdated.

I love the PT, but if I had to choose to erase one from history it would be the PT not the OT

23. DarthHtrad

Oct 24, 2002
    I seriously think Go-Mer is kidding about all this. He's just trying to see what people's reactions would be to someone saying the OT is nowhere near as good as the PT. I wonder how much longer he'll keep it up before he lets us all know his tongue was firmly jammed into his cheek.

24. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    That was my first impression. But just in case he wasn't I thought I'd better get my opinion across :)

25. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    I very much agree with Darths and Anakins posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.