main
side
curve
  1. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Kenobi Is the Kenobi show even necessary?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Darth Weavile, Jun 3, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Weavile

Darth Weavile Jedi Master star 3

Oct 10, 2017
    At the end of ROTS, Obi-Wan leaves Luke with Beru and Owen and walks off into the sunset. His life has been turned upside down in such a quick time, his best friend believed to be dead, and now his job is to watch over Luke until he is ready to learn the ways of the force and combat the Empire. He also has training to do with Qui-Gon in the deeper ways of the force, as Yoda mentions.

This works seamlessly with ANH, where we see old Ben Kenobi ready for one final adventure, bringing along Luke Skywalker while beginning his training as a Jedi. Really, the only difference between ROTS and ANH is that Obi-Wan seems aware that Vader is alive. However, this can be explained by Vader being a relatively well known figure throughout the galaxy, so it’s not hard to imagine Kenobi just finding out from the people of Tatooine. Darth Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader had Obi-Wan learn of Vader through a newscast at a local cantina, for example.

Now we have the Kenobi show, and for some reason, Kenobi just is completely changed from ROTS and ANH. Now, this can be explained to an extent- obviously he would have to deal with the trauma of losing his apprentice and best friend, the loss of his Jedi comrades, reflecting on what could have been done differently to prevent the rise of the Empire. But here, he just… cuts himself off from the force? How is that consistent with his character, especially when his life’s mission at this point is to watch over and protect Luke? What if the Empire arrives on Tatooine and attacks Luke? What’s he gonna do then? Also, how is he expected to train with Qui-Gon without a connection to the force? He’s obviously trying, but it’s not going to succeed because he’s making a conscious choice not to use it. Does he have no way of contacting Yoda about this?

The worst aspect to me is simply the continuity between the films just not working with this show. Obi-Wan leaving Luke and his family vulnerable on Tatooine already doesn’t sit well with me. But now it’s established that he’s met Leia, too? Remember Leia’s message in ANH?

General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire.

I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person. But my ship has fallen under attack, and I am afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I have placed information vital to the survival of the rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it.

You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

This doesn’t establish any familiar connection. Now, since Obi-Wan originally tells Leia his name is Ben, this doesn’t contradict this. But in the latest episode, the fake Imperial mentions Obi-Wan’s name in front of Leia, so now the continuity here doesn’t make sense.

And to be honest, I think the only reason they wanted Leia to be familiar with Ben in the first place was to have an excuse for why she named her son that, when previously there was no connection.

Finally, Vader and Obi-Wan meeting between ROTS and ANH just completely breaks the tension and enormity of their final meeting on the Death Star. The meaning of so many lines have been altered: “We meet again, at last,” “when I left you I was but the learner now I am the master,” “you should not have come back.” Not to mention Vader’s conversation with Grand Moff Tarkin and the general uneasiness Vader has about encountering his former Master again. Now, everything is thrown out the window, as apparently they fought between III and IV, and Vader wiped the floor with Obi-Wan. The only way to right things is for Obi-Wan to rediscover the force, train hard, and defeat Vader again, but that simply puts him back at where he was at the end of ROTS.

So why was this storyline necessary? I feel like there were much better ways to handle Obi-Wan’s post ROTS trauma without basically re-doing his entire character arc. Just look at the old EU. Sure, he didn’t rescue Leia, fight Vader, or even leave Tatooine. But there were good, small scale stories that showed how Episode III Obi-Wan becomes Episode IV Obi-Wan while keeping much better continuity between films.

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Short answer it wasn't necessary but Disney don't care, they want to milk this Franchise for every penny.

Longer answer the series is terrible. Terrible Writing/Terrible acting and Terrible Directing. It's like watching a fan film but with Ewan Mcgregor in it

3. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 5

Dec 30, 2017
    I agree that the overall tone of the show is much more depressed than the epilogue of ROTS. Qui-gon’s ghost is conspicuously absent, after Yoda said he would be there. Is the new story “necessary”? No, because the PT amd OT were complete on their own.

It’s easier for me to buy this portrayyof Obi-wan than TLJ’s portrayal of Luke because he’s still committed to his mission. He will still use the force when he absolutely needs to, but has no illusions about resisting Palpatine and the Empire. Luke and Leia are his only “hopes” and it can stay that way clear to ANH.

The strongest parts of the show are Leia, Bail and Obi-wan.

4. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    The Mandalorian, Book of Boba Fett, Rebels, Clone Wars, PT, ST, Solo, Rogue One, and Bad Batch were not necessary either. Nothing is necessary, it all just adds context to the events of the original storyline.

Empire Strikes Back wasn’t even necessary. ANH works just fine as a solo film.

Kenobi is also only half way finished. How about you watch the entire show before making up your mind.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  5. Darth Weavile

Darth Weavile Jedi Master star 3

Oct 10, 2017
    I would mostly agree with that, but ESB tells a new story that helps further the plot points set up in ANH, while the PT fills in the backstory of how the OT story came to be.

But with this show it feels like they’re regressing a character that doesn’t need to be regressed so he can progress back to where he already was.

6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The show's enjoyable but the whole idea of it is not something that ever captured my attention in a "need to see!" manner. An Obi-Wan story set before TPM would've interested me a lot more, but then it would've had to be animated and I don't care for TCW style animation that much.

7. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    It's awesome, so yes, it is necessary.

8. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Is this a thread for amplifying Star Wars fan cynicism for anything new?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    JoshieHewls likes this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Admin & TV Screaming Service star 9 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The show may or may not be necessary. This thread explicitly is not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.