main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Is there a reason for the anti-droid racism?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth DoJ, May 18, 2016.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Some robots are closer to the least intelligent pets.

Others are closer to the most intelligent, or beyond.

L3 for example isn't exactly Lando's pet - she has more autonomy.

And some droids are even independent, living the lives they choose, alone, like Highsinger the bounty hunter droid in TCW.

2. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Star Wars doesn't go into the nitty-gritty details of how droid programming works. We are left applying what we know about computers and robots to droids.

3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Degeneration is just a very... specific word to use. And one without a very good connotation.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    And because they're played by actors, they show far more emotion than real robots can.

Hence the presumption that Star Wars artificial intelligence is far in advance of ours.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  5. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Are you grumbling about the word "degeneration?" It seems like you are hinting at something without actually coming out and saying it.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  6. Eike Starseeker

Eike Starseeker Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 1, 2019
    Jabba tortured his robots because they failed him and because he was evil, not because they are intelligent.

Well some people In our world give their pets more rights too.

You see this is exactly one of the things I mean.
    People are so weird nowadays, even about words.
    Degeneration is a normal word, If you had problems with it in the past, sad, but it doesnt justify to cancel it from the vocabulary

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The point is - if droids are just tools, then by definition, they cannot "fail him" - and torturing them becomes pointless. If they cannot suffer, and can only mimic suffering, then all Jabba is doing is wasting valuable resources.

I see Jabba as a bit smarter than that - he wouldn't waste time torturing his tools - only his slaves.

Outsourced and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  8. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I'm saying the concept of pet might not be applicable in this case because our pets don't have human level intelligence.

Outsourced and Iron_lord like this.
  9. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Well do you want me to just come out and say that Degeneration is usually associated negatively with homosexuality? And considering we're talking about a very politically charged topic, it seems like something that should be brought up.

Tython Awakening and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    As starseeker said, it is a normal word with a non offensive meaning. I understood what he meant, and it didn't make me think about how that word has been used offensively in a totally different context than what was being talked about.

11. Eike Starseeker

Eike Starseeker Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 1, 2019
    Maybe the word was often used to insult homosexuals in the past, but that was not always the case.
    Its a bit shortminded to reduce it on this one thing.

12. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Racism, discrimination...I prefer a SW where droids do not have race, ethnicity, gender, and real sexuality. Degeneration is used scientifically in words like macular degeneration for loss of eye sight.

I think it is better that you said what bothered you.

13. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Anyway, surely only droids could be racist (or manufacturerist? modelist?) to other droids. As only humans can be racist to other humans. I don't know of a word that means discrimination and hate towards robots. A human could be specist towards trandoshans for example, but what are Yuuzhan Vong towards droids?

Tython Awakening likes this.
  14. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    The word you’re looking for is prejudice

DarthPhilosopher and Outsourced like this.
  15. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    The title for this thread works better with prejudice. Giving droids gender, ethnicity, race, emotions, and procreation is a cheap inversion of what defines human beings. You can't paint gender, ethnicity, race, and emotions on to a blank canvas and claim they are not a projection of yourself.

16. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    I meant specifically towards robots. Towards animals is speciesism which would cover alien species too in star wars universe. I guess it would have to be something like lifeism. Biological lifeforms being lifeist towards a synthetic life.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  17. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Organicism? Biologism?