main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is there an advance search option?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by TheRepublic, Feb 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRepublic

TheRepublic Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2005
    And how can I get more then one page of search results?

2. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    The only think I could tell you is that you might want to wait untill after the move before you start suggesting stuff like this. A lot of things will change over the next few months.

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Right now, the most advanced search options are here. And, as far as I know, it isn't possible to get more than one page of search results (on the current system).

4. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    How's the search going to be at the new boards?

5. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    That all depends on which system we use. If we use vBulletin, such as Raven suggested, the search feature will be adequate for what TheRepublic is asking for.

6. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    That's good, then...since according the FAQ we are using vBulletin.

Yay!

I'm really sick of having to search using Google to find anything on the boards.

7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I've been pretty pleased with the search feature recently. It's been finding what I want to find. Okay it's not definitive, but I can usually find one instance of whatever it is I'm looking for in the results it delivers. A couple of months ago it was completely useless, and bringing up no results for words like 'Jedi' or 'think'.

8. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    On that topic, how are you getting around the fact that the vBulletin Search will absolutely cripple the servers?

It really needs to be disabled for a board this size.

I know you don't like it as a site, but it's comparable in posts so I'm going to use it. SomethingAwful has searches optimized by their coders (TEAM BARRY), and they still charge an extra fee to use it, in order to curb the server loads. I assume it will be free and open [if allowed at all] to users of the JC, and it's going to destroy the loads on the server(s).

They also prune and archive posts to help curb the load, because it's fewer posts to search through, and to keep in the "active" database.

I believe SA uses three or more servers to carry the load (around .80 usually) at any one time, and that's just for the database(s).

I can't see the search function working well at the new board.

9. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    Well, hopefully the Admins will figure out a way to deal with that. I'd imagine they're taking it into consideration.

10. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    Yeah, definately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.