main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Is there any difference between ST and PT hate?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darthfettus2015, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well it does from what is most important of all to Disney, as in making money.

TLJ happens. No one expects it to be TFA again but after a strong opening it has a Batman v Superman second weekend drop. It ends up making decidedly less than it should have probably leaving at least a couple of hundred million on the table worldwide. Solo comes out a few months later and is the first Star Wars movie to fail at the box office (that's even more so with the disastrous production and it's ridiculous budget).

How much TLJ factors into that we don't know but between TLJ's disappointment and fan backlash the perception is that it's pretty high. That ends the "anthology" movies and makes Disney pause the movies past TROS. That comes out and that perception of fan backlash and whatever effects it has coincides with audience reception so that the movie leaves conceivably over half a billion dollars on the table. If at any point they had hopes for another 2 billion dollar gross then it's just past half.

Rogue One making just under 1.1 billion was a great success. The end of a trilogy and end of a saga making that isn't. The MCU this is not. The movie franchise is going to have to be rebuilt.

2. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    A large portion of the PT...”disappointees”, for lack of a better word (the word “hate” is not appropriate for me)...were looking forward primarily to Episode 3 because the major events they’ve heard about since the beginning would take place. So the PT had the anticipation factor to buffer it’s less than stellar execution.

The ST, by contrast, didn’t have that cushion. If it’s execution was less than stellar, many fans would simply no longer have any interest in it.

3. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Sure, but that's more about the backlash to TLJ being a bigger blow to Disney because of their corporate expectations. In terms of the overall culture I don't think it's comparable to what happened with the prequels.

4. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I think the other thing to say is that the PT is usually either loved or hated collectively, because it all stems from Lucas. The reactions to the ST are far more splintered, a product of their tumultuous development. Yes, there are some who strictly love or hate all the ST, but then there are also those who just love TFA or just love TLJ. I've also seen those who only love the first two and hate TROS. And I think I've only seen one reaction from someone who solely loves TROS lol.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

So @ThePostiveFan from another thread brought this up as a controversy for EMPIRE STRIKES BACK....in 1980

According to FanLore Wiki

This is what was going on in 1980...so...essentially...Star Wars has never changed..and this was Empire Strikes Back.

I repeat in 1980

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2021
  6. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Thankfully, Internet didn't exist back then.

KyleKartan likes this.
  7. HolyKenobi93

HolyKenobi93 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 15, 2020
    This seems far more isolated then the PT/ST hate, especially considering how quickly these individuals walked back on there statement. It would be like RLM printing a retraction for their TPM review and then deleting their channel.

DARTH_BELO and christophero30 like this.
  8. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    ESB wasn't very hated. I was actually alive back then.

9. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    To be fair, though, you were alive, but the internet wasn’t.

christophero30 likes this.
  10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    The critics hated it though.

11. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Some critics may have but ESB generally got good reviews.

wobbits, Darth_Articulate and Sarge like this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t think the Internet is required to hate a movie.

(I was alive back then too.)

wobbits and christophero30 like this.
  13. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    There is hate for everything on the internet. But if we are talking about public perception ESB was very well received. I like The Dark Knight Rises, but it is generally not seen as a good film compared to the other two.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Time magazine wrote up a multi-page article and put Vader on the cover. I remember one line of their review said something like, ESB is in many ways a better and more polished movie than SW, but as much fun it is not.

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think internett and media, helps the hate.

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  16. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    The cliffhanger ending and dark tone may have thrown some off. All 4 members of my family thought it was better than the first.

darthfettus2015 and Sarge like this.
  17. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    The internet is not needed to hate a movie, but when getting a sense of what the median response is across the viewership, it both affects and obscures the data.

In terms of it’s effect, like any language, online communication effects a viewer’s relationship to a movie but it does so within an atmosphere of intellectualized, rather than organic, responses. So the intellectualized responses are processed by and effect the recipient’s thoughts on the movie nearly as subconsciously as if it was an unfiltered conversation.

As for the data, it’s vastly more compelling to go online and share complaints you have than it is to point out positives, so we’re far more likely to get data that represents a critical consensus appearing as popular consensus than we are to actually get a popular consensus. Even fan message board polls only represent a cross section of fans that like to go on message boards rather than a true cross section of all kinds of fans.

KyleKartan, darthfettus2015 and Sarge like this.
  18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Bingo.

KyleKartan likes this.
  19. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Seems like the general consensus from people who dislike the PT is that the concept was great, but the execution was lacking.

With the ST it's generally the opposite, that the execution was pretty good, but the concept itself was poorly thought out and thus lacking.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i do agree, as the OP, that this is more or less the consensus.. but as someone who loves both, think it goes deeper on many levels

21. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    This is a good point. I think once TRoS was released, very few were happy with the entire trilogy.
    I agree that this is the general consensus. For me personally though, I actually think that only TFA was well executed. I didn't like what TFA was trying to do, but I thought it did it very well. It's a good reboot/requel/remake, whatever you want to call it. I just don't think it's a good Episode VII, but then I don't think it was trying to be.

I also didn't like what TLJ was trying to do, but unlike TFA, I think the main idea for the story could have been vastly improved through execution. There are a lot of problems I had with the script that could have been worked out if more time had been spent on it or if another writer had taken a pass at it.

TRoS was just a mess in both concept and execution imo.

22. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I was. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    TROS was rushed project, but i say an ok one, i liked it too.

bb8isno1 and darthfettus2015 like this.
  24. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    yeh agree

bb8isno1 likes this.
  25. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    I liked the ST including TROS even as much as I do the GL six films my only little gripe with TROS was the ressurection of Palpatine other than that I was fine with it as with the trilogy itself and also for the most part all my friends who grew up like me with the films from more or less the beginning are happy with the saga 1-9 as it is