main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is there anything in the EU that's generally, all-around LIKED?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LLL, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pabawan

Pabawan LFL Story Group star 1 VIP

Apr 2, 2002
    at least, I pray no one comes here as some form of self-punishment or self-hatred.

Well, actually.... ;)

ph

2. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    Everybody loves Starfighters of Adumar!

3. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    If only Ex were still here...

4. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    its been said, but seriously, Kyle Katarn, he's not everyones favorite character but i bet there is no one out there who hates him, he's unhateable!

(unhateable, is word now).

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I hate him as a fanboy concept gone nuts. He's not God of the Saga. But I liked his inclusion in recent SW novella. Especially TUF.

Lumiya.

There. Someone find a reason to dislike her. Because, as far as I'm concerned, there isn't one!

6. Master-Chief-Kenobi

Master-Chief-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2007
    She's from an ancient comic book noone remembers and that noone read so i'm like "Huh? when did all this happen? There's no book about her past with luke." I don't like it when they do that even if she was a good villian.

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    So, she's a bad character because people haven't heard of her? I'd lay heavy bets most people knew of her in some shape, by virtue of the continued discussions about her title, the apprentices, Vongerella, and adventure seeds resurrecting her into canon.

The comic books with her in have been gathered into two volumes, I believe, but are somewhat expensive for it.

8. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    Actually, I think he said he disliked it even though he thought she WAS a good character, and she is/was.

The thing that's nice about the way they handled her was how simple they made her introduction. We weren't tortured with a lengthy introduction or flashback or backstory, it was just "This is Lumiya, Dark Lady of the Sith". Okay, I'm game.

"She was an Imperial spy and then Luke shot her down and Vader rebuilt her"

Do tell?

"She was an Emperor's Hand and now she's trying to resurrect the Sith"

Bang, there you go. What else do you need?

On one hand we get people asking for the return of all sorts of obscure characters, and then when we get one, we had people complaining that she had no place in the story.

There's not much people need to know about Lumiya, and it was all revealed through dialogue between characters (the bits with Luke in her apartment were great) and just the fact that people are crapping their pants that she's kicking around is enough.

You know, the thing that strikes me about LoTF is an underlying theme that's almost similar to Warren Ellis' GLOBAL FREQUENCY, the idea of the "unexploded bombs of the past century" coming back to haunt the world/galaxy. There's a real sense of "nothing stays buried for ever" and "everything has a price", and now we're seeing a lot of that paid off, and that's one aspect that I really like and wished they had expanded to include even more characters.

9. TIEDefenderPilot

TIEDefenderPilot Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 13, 2003
    I hate Starfighters of Adumar. The weak, watered down 181st pilots are almost as insulting as the weak, watered down TIE Defenders.

10. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    So if it doesn't happen in a book, it's not good EU? Read more comics. You'll like 'em. :) The Marvels are actually fantastic, and quite a treat to read. Especially in original issue form.

His post got me thinking --- I'm pretty sure that Pablo is one aspect of the EU that everyone likes. :) Abel, too.

11. crazythorn

crazythorn Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2007
    The Jedi Prince series.

Erm, seriously, maybe... Talon Karrde? YJK-era Tenel Ka?

12. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    Pablo ticked off a segment of fans with his dismissal of some issues by pointing out glibly that yellow letters don't really float in space, so no to that one, and I'm afraid no to the other as well.

It's impossible to find one thing or one person that everyone loves, it's just silly. People hates Lucas for goodness sake, so I don't think we're going to fond anything that passes the test because you'll always find someone to hate on it, or dislike it, at least, but there is truth in the fact that some things are much more loved than others, sometimes for opposing reasons.

There's no single unified theory of Star Wars or fandom, and thank goodness for that. I want change and I want different things and tones and themes, which means that I'm going to get some things I don't like, and that's fine by me.

13. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Was it one of them, or was it Leland, who came up with the silly retcon that "Although everything else Palpatine says is indisputably true -no certain point of view poodoo- the one cool thing Palpatine ever says, that Endor wasn't his first death, was the only lie he ever told"?

14. DaJames

DaJames Jedi Master star 4

Oct 1, 2000
    I can't remember there been a lot of hate for SWAJ back in the day.

15. Master-Chief-Kenobi

Master-Chief-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2007
    The problem with taking such an ancient character from the ancient marvels is that these comics generally aren't available to read and if they have been re-printed, I can't find them for sale anywhere.

16. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    Don't forget that Lumiya/Shira Brie got her own entry in the New Essential Guide to Characters in 2002, and was discussed in the Essential Chronology. I'm guessing that at least some of that was in anticipation of her later return. So, while the original source material is "ancient" for some of you young whippersnappers, Lumiya was hardly absent from the EU since 1986.

Ancient? I'll give you ancient, you little punks. Now, get off my lawn!

17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    1986? Wow. I was concieved during that year, JMM! [face_laugh]

Yet, I knew exactly who she was, and danced a merry dance when she returned, after years of chasing ghost Adventure Seeds! :p

18. EvieSolo

EvieSolo Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2005
    I think I would agree on Kyle Katarn.

ARE there people who hate him? Nah, he probably killed them all. ;)

19. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    That sucks that you can't find them anywhere! I was able to find every comic with Shira/Lumiya (save for... the last one or two with Lumiya) in the collections of three different comic stores last summer before Betrayal came out. The reprints can probably be ordered online from Things from Another World?

Hmmm... it is true that old people are concerned with young people being on their lawn.

I doubt if the 2002 entry was in anticipation of Legacy of the Force. When LOTF was originally being planned, the role of Lumiya was simply a "Wizard-like character", until it was decided that Lumiya could fulfill that role. And we know that LOTF was to be set in the Sith Era until June of 2004. However, you merely said "in anticipation of her later return", and I agree that there was probably a hope to not leave her in limbo back in 2002. :)

20. Dussan

Dussan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2007
    You hate The Katarn, but like Lumiya, Dark Lady of the Sith!

LOL

Oh god, I think my uncle had a comic book that had her in it. I was like 10 or something when I read the comic. It was retarded then and at 30+ it's mind numblingly retarded now.

Didn't she have special force powers or something, like she coudl shoot energy beams or whatever? Those old Marvel Star Wars comics where the worst.

21. EvieSolo

EvieSolo Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2005
    You are aware of the LotF books?

22. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

I don't think I've seen anyone who dislikes the Kotor comics yet.

23. sweyrick

sweyrick Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2007
    I agree, I'm a huge fan of TTT. Thrawn is the most interesting and awesome character I have read about in the SW Universe.

24. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Not a fan of it either. I liked the HotE dualogy better, but even it had its faults. Not a Thrawn fan, either.

25. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    Hmm...

This is surprisingly easy to figure out.

-Kyle Katarn is a cool guy who solves his problems by shooting them in the face. Any objections?
    -StealthXs, no one can hate StealthX. They are like mini X wings for the next Gen.
    -Thrawn's brother, Thrass. No reason to hate him at all.
    -Revan. Cool guy, caused a really fun war and redeemed himself and went off into the space, not bothering anyone.
    -Kyp Durron. If you don't love Kyp. You are the devil. He has long hair now and a girl who likes it that way. Can't blame him.
    -Lorne Pavan is a guy no one really knows about so you have no reason to hate him.

No reason to ahte any of them.

Beast[face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.