main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is there anything in the EU that's generally, all-around LIKED?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LLL, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peregrine

peregrine Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    Well I don't dislike Katarn, but I don't like him either. He means nothing to me other than an occasional voice in a random Jedi Council scene. But since we're talkin about things that are generally liked in the EU...:p

* runs away from the masses of angry Katarn fans *

2. Dussan

Dussan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2007
    Don't run.

YOu just dont' know Katarn. I'm a die hard Dark Forces game fan. So anything with The Kyle Katarn requires my attention. Cause he is godly. And he is ORIGINAL. He isn't like Dash Rendar, a Solo clone, nor is he a Luke clone. He is his own guy and I LOVE that about him. But again that is from the games.

3. Pabawan

Pabawan LFL Story Group star 1 VIP

Apr 2, 2002
    Funny thing is, what got the most vitriol and rage into my inbox was nothing EU related. It was being on the Episode III set and having the temerity to not spill every coveted bean. That got really nasty. EU fans have nothing on movie spoiler fans when it comes to <Walter Sobchak>unchecked aggression</Walter Sobchak>.

The Q&A column got its peaks and valleys of angst every now and then, such that I briefly wanted Wizards/Paizo/IDG to put some disclaimer to the effect of "Hey, I don't make this stuff up. I'm the messenger that gets to say what the committee decrees," but that's just way too wimpy and reactionary. If I'm willing to put my name on it, then I gotta stand by what it ends up being, for better or for worse.... and on that note, I wish any and all future stewards of the column well ;)

But back on topic. Everybody SHOULD love Jaxxon. It's good for you.

And seriously, I'm one of those people who actually enjoys most of the EU. I was much more uptight about it in the mid-90s, like, say around Darksaber. Then something mellowed me out. Don't know what. Might have been blunt force trauma.

Don't anyone take this the wrong way -- because I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion and that conversation and debate about the subjects of fandom are the lifeblood of active message boards -- but I dislike the worst SW novel less than I dislike endless griping about it.

I don't think people should stop griping though. I just know to remove myself before it gets too under my skin. I hope that if something in the EU really does get under your skin, you can someday learn to shrug it off too.

ph

4. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    Say what you like about the tenets of rabid fanboyism, Dude, at least it's an ethos.

5. Dussan

Jul 6, 2007
    who is JAxxon?

6. Alpha-02

Alpha-02 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Think Marvel, then think Star Wars meets Bugs Bunny :p

Jaxxon

7. Dussan

Jul 6, 2007
    Oh dear god.

8. peregrine

peregrine Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2000

Even the Dude got all riled up about what happened to his rug. It really tied the room together, afterall :p

I had to say it. I love that movie :)

9. Pabawan

Pabawan LFL Story Group star 1 VIP

Apr 2, 2002
    Jaxxon is the great leveler. The cosmic alarm bell that says to take a deep breath for a minute, then by all means, carry on. It's difficult to have a rousing debate about the EU when someone keeps bringing up space carrots and the Holy Hutch. :) In that way, he was the predecessor of the Hat and Waru, perhaps.

ph

10. Nieber-Gon-Jinn

Nieber-Gon-Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2006
    Hey! I liked Waru! I'm not familiar with "the hat" though. And I loved the Continuity panel at C4.
    JN

11. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    Oh, dear.

12. Nieber-Gon-Jinn

Nieber-Gon-Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2006
    Oh wait you're talking about K'Kruhk's freakin' sweet Hat![face_dancing][face_dancing]
    I know now!
    JN

13. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Lt. Kettch.

It's got something for everyone. :p

Seriously, consensus on the EU is night impossible. There are thouse that consider Zahn to be one of, if not the greatest EU author. There are those who despise his writing. There are those who think Stover's #1, and those who think his work is poodoo. Katarn's a god, no, he's a Gary Stu.

I think it might be easier to ask what's generally, all-around loathed. :p

14. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I've been thinking on this all week. It's a tough one but my best guess is that most like the many different colors of lightsabers jedi in the EU have. Many more than the four colors we saw in the movies anyway. Thats my best shot.

15. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Yay, another X-wing variation.

I can understand keeping the XJ's and even the ScoutX's, but why does their stealth fighter need to be based on the iconic X-wing? Who's gonna see a stealth fighter and be impressed/frightened by it? If the ship's doing it's job, no one.

16. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    I've been thinking on this all week. It's a tough one but my best guess is that most like the many different colors of lightsabers jedi in the EU have. Many more than the four colors we saw in the movies anyway. Thats my best shot.

Nope, I dislike that piece of EU silliness with a fashion.

Nearly as much as I loathe the character Revan. Oh dear me, don't get me started...

17. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Who doesn't love the moffship?

18. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    Jagged Fel being a clone. [face_dancing]

I haven't posted that for a long time, just to remind you.

19. Dussan

Jul 6, 2007
    What's with "The Hat" thing?

Watu I like.

20. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Sorry, if it makes you feel better I've been much more careful at bowling alleys ever since. :p

A clone of Jaged Fel?

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The Special Editions and The Phantom Menace, perhaps? Sounds like blunt force trauma to me...

22. Ataro_Soresu

Ataro_Soresu Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2006
    So far, I've only seen the one person who claimed to dislike Pellaeon.

I nominate Obi-Wan, Palpatine, and Yoda; though I think only one will survive the coming barrage.

23. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    ? Everybody hates Palpatine.

OK, he's the character everyone loves to hate.

Being unfamiliar with Jaxxon, I hit the provided link.

Jaxxon was the only character created by Marvel comics during the series' 107 issue run that was ordered by Lucasfilm to make no more appearances in the series.

I wonder why!:oops:

LOL! I guess if you write anything SW you need to have a very thick skin.

Now I need to know, what is this Hat I keep reading about?

24. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    To repeat what I posted earlier in this thread -

Teh Hat

Teh Thread

Freakin' sweet, yes? :D

- lazy

25. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    OK, I get it now.