main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Is This Place Dead ?

Discussion in 'Community' started by gezvader28, May 29, 2023.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    There's 8 billion people on this planet (or whatever the number is), most of them are star wars fans (ok they aren't) but still - this place seems dead.

20 years ago 80% of internet activity was a star war. ok it wasn't , but it was a lot .

So what happened , did people just flee TFN , or did they flee JJA ?

or has everyone moved to twitter? (really?)

Seriously - there's something wrong with fandom.

j-jawa3 likes this.
  2. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Dead? Nah.

Of course, there's something wrong with fandom - see all the crap on YT and elsewhere.

But message boards? They're old technology but neither have they been replaced by new tech. People like the idea of a moderated space too.

Message boards lack the anarchy of chat rooms but still enable structured discussion.

Kato Sai likes this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Uh, there are like thousands of posts a day on this forum.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    There was a web page that measured the activity level of message boards and at one point we were in the top ten.

6. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    Everyone must be on vacation from the boards?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Huh? I count 84 posts in the past day.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    This type of thread is normally reserved for quitbies. Try and keep up, gez.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Uhh, traffic has been pretty consistent on here since 2015.

A lot of people shifted from internet forums to social media for movie/show discussion... like around 2010. That's all.

Last edited: May 29, 2023
  10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    In like a cosmic sort of way, yes, we’re a dedicated forum for a fan site so by internet standards this is kind of old hat and a lot of similar sites were replaced by Reddit. I don’t think it’s Abrams specific, though, there was a lot of talk about the boards being in decline back when I joined up (technically for the second time) and that was before a bunch of software related malarkey froze new registrations for like a solid year or whatever before the migration. If anything the ST radically upset the idea that we were in a slow inexorable decline because it resulted in bursts of new users. Now it’s just weird and inconsistent.

But I dunno, I like the vibe, that’s enough for me.

11. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    There are hundreds more social media options to rant and rave on about Star Wars in the 20 years since the PT, or the early days of this site/internet. Nothing wrong with the site. Or the fandom. People speak where they want.

Forums like this one have been outdated for a while. Although I personally prefer the format.

12. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    This.

Eh, I used to be more active here. The clique mentality of the members and some moderators is a major turn off.
    I have fun when I interact with certain people here, but that's about it.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    woah my login still works

14. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Bor Mullet can take care of this thread by himself, no further posts needed.

15. Jedi Bluth

Jedi Bluth SOS & 7X Hangman Winner star 6

Sep 4, 2021
    It is too active to be consider dead, but people are just not posting as much. Not sure why though.

I have notice, it comes in waves. There will be so many post all at once you get lost, and then it gets quiet. So hopefully we can pick back up again.

Message forums are the only social media that I will do.

Kato Sai likes this.
  16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't even think it comes in waves. Every time I come to this subforum after like 24 hours, it's almost always 1.5-3 pages of threads that are now unread, that I skim through to see what to open. That's been pretty consistent. Other subforums see less traffic but they're pretty consistent. Certain threads will sometimes see burst of activity, but that's more dependent on it being a politics thread and something just happened, or movie thread and the movie just came out or got a new trailer, etc.

EHT likes this.
  17. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    the above poster's username is "Ghost" so make of that what you will.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I occasionally dream of summertime as well.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  20. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Setting up a new holiday between Memorial Day and July 4 is one of the greatest things to happen in America in my adult life but it’s still not as awesome as the JCC. Long live the forums. I hope when my time comes I get to die while clicking the Post Reply button and not on the toilet like Elvis.

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    They’re not mutually exclusive!

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The vast majority of "Post Reply" clicks come immediately after the courtesy flush.

23. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I think for sure there is an outdated feel to message boards but I like them and feel you get the best movie spoilers on message boards and the most diehard dedicated fans are on message boards! I've been a lurker on here since 1999 and joined in 2014 after almost going in a coma and dying in 2014 from Lithium poisoning and Kidney Failure. This is the biggest Star Wars message boards on the internet I doubt it's going anywhere anywhere anytime soon! I go so far back on here as a lurker I remember the 2 members Hook Line And Sinker and Guns Blazing do any of you guys remember those forum members haven't seen them in a while...

Bor Mullet likes this.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes, we are assuredly not going anywhere.

25. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    This forum even has an app!

InterestingLurker likes this.