main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Yoda's species known in-universe?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by cooker, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cooker

cooker Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 8, 2004
    I'm wondering if the secret of Yoda's species and homeworld are known to other GFFAers, or are they as in the dark as we are? It seems to me that a species that provides two Jedi Council members in TPM, as well as that other little Yoda-type guy on Dantooine during KOTOR, would raise a few eyebrows if their origins were completely unknown. How are they brought into the Order to be trained if no one knows where to find them?

I thought there might be answers out there I hadn't found.

2. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    As far as I know in-universe sources believe that Yoda's species comes from the Unknown Regions.

3. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Where did you hear that? As far as I know, there is nothing known about his species.

4. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I can't remember, but something I read said that they suspected Yoda's species was from the Unknown Regions, and that seems like a good explanation because if in-universe sources don't know the species, then its a good a guess as any.

5. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Some think Yoda's species is "Lannik" see HNN.

6. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    Did the EU not mentioning his species for all those years stem from GL's orders, or did it just become sort of a tradition?

7. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Probably both. Somewhere I once heard "Whills" used, but I'm very likely to be wrong.

8. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    The one place I heard "Whills" used was in an EU-bashing thread on one of the movie boards abut three years back. Creator of said thread claimed he came up with the concept as a parody of "EU fanboy theories." [face_plain]

(And no, I'm not trying to bash the movie boarders. Just telling the truth as I recall it.)

9. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Well, I think Yoda knows what his species is. ;)

I think he's a Whill, because every other "unknown" race that we know of isn't Yoda.

Oh, and partially because of the "Worshipping Whills" trading card. Someone posted it somewhere on these boards. I'll see if I can find it...don't know how successful I'll be, unless someone wants to post it.

10. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    IIRC, the Attack of the Clones VD says that Yoda's species is unknown and rarely seen in the galaxy.

11. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    According to Galaxy magazine that trading card is apocryphal. It was part of the galaxy trading cards that were imaginary takes by various artists, and only a few dozen were produced, before it was recalled do to Lucas not liking the concept. That was something he particually didn't want to be printed, even though most galaxies cards are apocryphal takes on star wars characters,.

12. LordJoda-181

LordJoda-181 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2004
    I've heard him being referenced to as a lannik. I think it will be revealed in the Future (EP III, Yoda Novel, Etc.)
    Joey ;)

13. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    I remember that in Heir to the Empire, when Luke is researching C'Baoth, he remembers searching the Senate db for info on Yoda's species and coming up empty. You would think that someone in-universe would know, but it is a big galaxy and the prequel era EU makes it clear that quite a bit of it is not within the borders of the Republic. None of the characters in NJO knew what Vergere's species was either (We know she's Fosh). Someone remembered seeing one like her in the Corporate Sector but otherwise....
    Personally, I think Yoda and Yaddle come from a species with it's own force-using religion (much like the recalled "Worshipping Whills" card), and that they use the Force to wipe clean the memories of anyone that has ever landed a ship on their planet. Yoda and Yaddle would be considered rogues for leaving their planet and endangering their people. Funny to think of Yoda as a rogue.

ps We know they're not Lanniks as Yaddle goes to Malastare with Even Piel (who was a Lannik) to negotiate a truce between the Lannik monarchy and rebels and it isn't mentioned that she is one, but it is that Piel is.

14. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    The lannik idea is just a in-universe, and extra-universe misconception. Its not really what they are. Just some do believe he is Lannik.

15. Juhani

Juhani Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2004
    no yoda's race is not know in the star wars galaxy in kotor there was master vander and master vrook and in the tpm there is yoda and yaddle george lucas has presumed to say to what race yoda is in ep III but its only rumor

16. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    For some reason known only to GL himself, he wants Yoda?s species to remain a mystery. Why? I don?t know. It has been rumored that Yoda?s species may be revealed in EPIII, but I wouldn?t hold your breath. More than likely it will remain a mystery; one which GL will take to his grave if he gets his way.

17. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    The Ffib priest they hung upsode down looked a lot like Windu in Emissaries, the same comic the Dark Wman was in!

18. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Has he even decided what species Yoda is?

19. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I'd rather not know what he is. It leaves some mystery. Not to mention I would rater just think of him as Yoda instead of Yoda, Blank.

20. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Has it ever explicitly been stated that Vandar is of the same species as Yoda and Yaddle? He is a slightly different character, and the other two talk funny but he doesn't. It is possible that there is more than one short pointy-eared species in the Galaxy.

21. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    ?It is possible that there is more than one short pointy-eared species in the Galaxy.?

Yeah, but short, pointy-eared, green with only three fingers/toes on each hand/foot?

22. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Nope, he's of Yoda and Yaddle's species, per the game designers' intentions.

The gulf of years between the stories notwithstanding, Vandar simply could've been cloistered away from infancy in the Jedi Temple and raised with the "normal" speech cadences of Basic, same as everyone else there.

23. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "only three fingers/toes"

Oddly Yoda has 5 toes(3 forward 2 back) in some versions. Maybe based on AOTC model?

In others he has 4 toes(3 forward 2 back).

Aren't Vander and Vrook both names of the same character?

24. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    Nope, Yoda only has three toes, all forward. What you are thinking might be a backward facing toe is just his heel.

25. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    It most certainly is not a heel.

Heels don't have claws, a claw only comes out of digit, such as a toe or a talon. He has 2 digits on the back of his foot in some versions of his art.

[image=http://www.coreplanets.com/photopost/data/500/13yodausm.jpg]

More accurately they are like bird "talons".

Hawks don't have heels, they have 4 talons, 3 forward and 1 back. Which allows them to grip things.

[image=http://www.aros.net/~create/images/40eaglft.gif]

Velociraptors don't have heels, they have talons as well.

A chicken also has talons, 3 forward, and 1 back. The back talon is not a heel, as heels do not have "claws".
    [image=http://trc.ucdavis.edu/mjguinan/apc100/modules/Musculoskeletal/skeleton/images/limb41.jpg]

The technical name for backword pointing digit, is a "hallux", it most definitely is not a "heel".

"The first digit is called the hallux, and is usually directed backwards. The second, third and fourth digits are usually directed forward."-trc.ucdavis.edu

Main Entry: hal·lux

Pronunciation: 'ha-l&ks
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural hal·lu·ces /'ha-l&-"sEz, 'hal-y&-/
    Etymology: New Latin, from Latin hallus, hallux
    : the innermost digit (as the big toe) of a hind or lower limb

Zygodactyl, 2 forward, 2 back;
    [image=http://www.biology.eku.edu/RITCHISO/zygodactyl.jpg]

Heterodactyl, 2 forward, 2 back as well.
    [image=http://www.cnr.vt.edu/fisheries/ornithology/Ornithology/heterodactyl.JPG]

Dorking Chicken foot, 3 toes front, 2 toes back;
    [image=http://www.dorking.de/foot.jpg]

For more inforamation on Hallux, and other forms of backword facing digits see here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.