main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

It is clear to me that the republic no longer functions

Discussion in 'Communications' started by RidingMyCarousel, Dec 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    "It is clear to me that the republic no longer functions"
    I figured this line would be best for this situation. I've been hurt really badly lately by what's gone on with the entire Bane and Carter issue, as it has hit very close to home for me. I consider myself friends with both of them, and seeing the entire issue evolve from my work on another site to the next event to the next.

The Mod Squad and TFN staff need to be more clear with each other on issues. I think that I'm not the only moderator who's shocked by the recent actions and how it's being handled.. it's a state of mass confusion. We're all lost and hell, we shouldn't be. This is my plea to the administration here : that is, TFN Staff, JC Moderator Staff and FanForce to each work out some resolutions and procedures on how to handle issues that spring up such as what has happened recently. I hate to say this, but it looks bad on the JC's record for how this has been handled and the entire issue is being laughed at by TFN's colleagues.

I love this site to death, but due to the recent mental pressure that has been placed on me by the entire issue, I'm resigning from my position here as a JC Moderator. I'll continue working with FanForce as Charlotte, NC City Rep and working on the Virtual Sequels for the scoring process. But in the end, I can't handle the immediate pressure of the recent events, how they have affected me as a person, my friends, and projects I've been working on.

Guys, please do us all a favor and try to work out proposals on this issue and stop trying to go through each and every line to find a way through the thick of things. Just be straightforward with the problems and handle them as best as you can. This entire issue has become a huge stain on the JC's record.

I love this place too much to see it fall apart. Please, for the sake of everyone who loves this site anywhere near as much as me, work together as a team and fix the problems. Hell, give up your colors and all go to red for a while :: You're a team. If you can't function like a team and make decisions with each other and respect the decisions set and made, then this entire place is going to crumble faster than the Roman Empire when the Huns attacked.

So, henceforth, I'm retiring from moderating on the JC. I've enjoyed my time here and working with the staff. For the most part, is has been enjoyable. I'm proud to say that I've helped fix up the Amphitheatre and have moderated SW Music, Census and many other forums. The Mod Squad has my nominations for my replacement, so that will be taken care of soon.

But in the end, I feel as if my voice has said or done nothing here.

As I'm asking again, please, just please work together and stop the internal squabbling. It gets you nowhere and you know it. If you're going to worry about power on a message board, I'm worried for you. This place should be fun, laid back and enjoyable :: Not the equivelent to the US Senate on the internet.

Thank you for your time.

And the next manager or higher who sees this may demote me to VIP.

Take care, everyone, May the Force be with you, and Godspeed.

Yours Truly,
    ~ James

2. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    OMG JAMES :( :_|

3. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I can't say I'm surprised.

4. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    It's a terrible shame that it had to come to this. :(

5. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Fare thee well, Mr Mod.

6. MrEmh

MrEmh Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 1999
    Trolling with sock is against the rules.

7. JediSaralyn

JediSaralyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    James, you did very well as a moderator and you will surely be missed in the forum you helped create and maintain as well as other places you made your presence known....

This is not a goodbye since you'll still be around 8-} ...but from what I've heard and what you've told me, I think you are making the best desicion for the moment. I'm sure many will miss you as a mod, but you're still you when it comes down to it.

:)

8. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    *impressed someone actually found a way to quote Yeets*

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    This is my plea to the administration here : that is, TFN Staff, JC Moderator Staff and FanForce to each work out some resolutions and procedures on how to handle issues that spring up such as what has happened recently.

To start an actual discussion... what's the difference between the above three? What do the JC Mods, TFN Staff and FanForce Staff all do? Especially if there are crossover areas?

It's not commonly known that the FanForce boards are run in a completely different manner than the JC Forums at large. What are the differences? How do the posting rules on the boards differ than that of the rest of the JC (because they DO)?

Answers to these questions are not readily available to all users, I don't think... creating one, complete FAQ or other document might be a good thing to come out of this...

10. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm so sorry this has personally hurt you, Riding. :( It's hard when you're caught in the middle of an issue between two people whose friendship you value.

I'm glad you're not leaving the board entirely, though, and that you're staying on as a FanForce CR. I'm sure there are many here on the JC that will miss you as a moderator and the good work you've done here.

Good luck,

- Rani

11. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    i find the whole idea of power hungry people at a place where you have no REAL power to be quite amusing. it's sad that people actually have so little in their lives that they need to try and fill their lives with "power" at an internet message board.

12. C-3PX

C-3PX Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Now that's a shocker...hey! That sock you traded me is no longer a Mod-sock! [face_shocked] And I gave you that easy Padme too. :p

Well the best to you. :)

13. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

I find it odd, extraordinary, and even a little lame that people can be so deeply affected emotionally by petty squabbling at a Star Wars message board.

Remember when we just came here to talk about Star Wars? E-power plays and melodrama are for junior high schoolers with AOL accounts.

AYBABTU?

14. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Indeed, Rhett. Indeed.

15. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    I agree with the Rhett on this issue. All this power struggle crap is bull.

16. EmpressPalpatine

Mar 31, 2001
    I agree with PiaS and Aybabtu on this issue. It's sad this place has stopped being about the movies, and more about the drama. People need to stop taking this place, themselves, and everyone else so damned seriously....

17. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    I would like to have a friend intact, than a mod in pieces. Rest up, RMCOY; we'd be pleased to have you return when you're ready. :) :) :)

18. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    i agree with myself on this issue.

19. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    AYBABTU, I understand that as a regular member this site is just an escape for you, but for the moderating team it's quite a lot of work and we care a great deal about everything that goes on here.

20. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    While there are other boards available, the JC is special for alot of us, because we come back to visit or to stay. Whether we're laughing, crying, or fighting, we are still family.

21. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I'm sad that it all had to come to this, but it's not surprising considering the environment you had to function in. There are people who wouldn't do this type of stuff, dealing with what you had to deal with, even if they were paid!

Relax, James, and get some rest. You more than deserve it.

22. EmpressPalpatine

Mar 31, 2001
    Obviously MV was too busy moderating this site to see the part where Aybabtu was promoted to permanent member of the AC> Hardly a cakewalk.

23. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

You can care all you want about what goes on here, and that's all well and good. Does that also require you to lose site of the relevance of this place on a macro level? Does that obligate you, as a moderator, to create and perpetuate such melodrama?

I don't think it does. The idea that moderating a message board is some sort of terrible emotional drain on a person defies all logic. My refusal to accept that it is isn't a problem with my outlook, or my appreciation for the forums, but an idictment of those who don't approach this place with the proper perspective.

AYBABTU?

24. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Arguing over this sort of thing won't get the site nor the JC anywhere. Forget about the personal arguments, vendettas, please!

We all love the JC. Let's all work together to better it, let you be a moderator, ACer, VIP, member, what not. Guys, this place is special to many of us and there are countless people who've poured their hearts into this place to try and better it.

Let's all stop arguing right now over petty issues and try and work together for once on an issue.

25. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    I again agree with Rhett. That is why I support James and his decision to resign.

And the was an incredibly elitist comment you made, MV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.