main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming It Lives! The Intellivision Amico Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ahsoka's Tano, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm an old-school gamer; and my first console was the Intellivision, which was in a way the first true rival of the Atari 2600. I don't expect this thread to be overly active, but at least I'll try to keep it updated with any news; most of which involves the new "Amico" console that is scheduled to be released in 2020. It's an interesting concept. I highly doubt that the developers expect it to rival any of the next-gen consoles from Sony, Microsoft, or Nintedo; but it'll still have a small market with the nostalgia folk like me.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Juke Skywalker likes this.
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I follow an Intellivision FB group, "Intellivision Invasion" which featured that. I think the news about EJ is all right; though it's not really a nostalgic venture for avid Intv gamers since EJ was initially a Sega Genesis/SNES installment. I'd be more thrilled to see a remake of some legit Intv classics like Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, Night Stalker, and Tron Deadly Disks. An Astrosmash remake would floor everyone for sure.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's a smart move to grab the retro console attention with a high profile game like this, so it becomes more than just an "Intelli-Mini". But I agree, it would be best if they could tie the new content into the classic content more closely.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I still have an original Intv II console in my basement; as well as an Intellevision Flashback console that I've played with a couple of times. The Flashback console is nice because it includes the original controllers with disks and keypads.

6. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    The Intellivision kinda got swallowed up by the ubiquity of the Atari 2600. For every kid I knew w/an Intellivision, I knew five+ w/a 2600. I doubt I ever played one more than a handful of times. As I understand it, some of that disparity came down to Atari being more appealing due to having the far bigger game catalog. Something like 3 for every 1 for Intellivision. Of course a lot of those were made by third party developers, and the QC wasn't exactly high on a good number of them, as I can attest from personal experience. Re: the latter, it seems that Mattel was starting to close that gap w/their catalog, but then the combo of the release of the ColecoVision and the Atari 5200, w/their superior graphics, and the video game crash of '83 sorta sealed its fate.

I love retro gaming (primarily the 8-bit era), but I'm really overdue to give the Intellivision a whirl. That plug-n-play is probably the way to go for a casual novice.

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well the Intv was really unique in that it featured the disk + numerical keypad as its controllers. Atari got more of the attention because, as you said, the bigger game catalog; but Intv's graphics for the most part were superior to the 2600. And I don't even know why my parents decided on buying the Intv for my brother and I as opposed to the 2600, but we had a pretty nice collection of games, especially the addicting ones like Advanced Dungeons and Dragons and of course Astrosmash.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Intellivision had the 1st video game that I ever played that had an ending, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.

Life and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Wait, that had an ending? ...looks on Youtube.....

Oh yeah, that ending lol.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    New trailer released for the Intellivision Amico, which will be released October 2020.

You can a few re-imagined games such as Astrosmash and Night Stalker later on in the trailer. The game demos are shown at around 1:50.

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Astrosmash remake

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hmm. I like the added physics aspect. However, it looks like a shareware game made in Game Maker, minus the particle effects. Still, doesn't mean it won't be fun.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The thing about this new console is that they're not banking on it being a Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony competitor. Marketing suggests it will be an "affordable" family console; which means it'll be geared towards a slim niche market that's much smaller than the big three are. And that market includes the nostalgic people who grew up with the original system and it's familiar games like Astrosmash. Of course, I showed that video to my dad and he told me he still prefers the original game from 1981 lol.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm just saying that the look could have been updated further. but it says it's still early gameplay so they could just be placeholders.